Sid Meier’s Civilization V currently in development at Firaxis

Thursday, 18th February 2010 16:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

civ5

2K has announced that Sid Meier’s Civilization V is currently in development at Firaxis Games for PC.

Civilization V’s being built with a new engine and has an all new combat system, more in-depth diplomatic interactions and expanded features.

The new addition to the series also introduces hexagon tiles allowing for “deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire”, read the press release.

It also has fully animated leaders that speak in their native language for the first time in the series, which interact with players.

Ranged bombardment is an addition that allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, and a an “extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements” have been added as well.

“Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise has been recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all time with millions of units sold worldwide,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Civilization V takes the franchise further by offering players a more immersive experience with deeper strategies; heightened tactical combat; vast, realistic landscapes to explore, battle over and claim as their own; and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other without leaving the game.

“This marks a new era that will forever change the franchise responsible for sleep deprivation and reduced productivity for nearly two decades.”

Firaxis Games is also currently developing Sid Meier’s Civilization Network for Facebook, which will go into Beta this June.

Sid Meier will be at GDC this year, keynoting a lecture on the Philosophy of Game Design.

Game’s out in the fall, and screens for it can be found over on Eurogamer.

1. Anders

Website here: http://www.civilization5.com/

2. Petulant Radish

I’m planning on buying a new laptop soon, and this is something I would be bothered about playing on it, what are the specs likely to be? Do you need a hefty graphics card to play IV?

I’m only going to spend around £500 on a laptop, as yet undecided what, and though almost all my gaming is done on a console I love these games and the PC is the best platform for them…

3. Benjo1981

I hope they do another version for 360/PS3, I enjoyed Revolution.

4. blackdreamhunk

tbs games don’t work well on consoles on top of that the best part of Civilization are the mods.

5. Benjo1981

True, you lose the mods, but I think, if any strategy game is going to work on console, it’s the turn-based variety. Revolution worked well, I thought.

6. Benjo1981

Although, yes, it was a dumbed-down version compared to the PC..but then console-gamers aren’t necessarily looking for great depth.

7. elronathon

Have always had a place in my heart for Civ. Been playing since the first one and to the series’ credit IV was the best yet imo. Not many games have such a steady acent, particularly when their first step is so remarkable.

8. Scyrenn

Nothing against Civ, quite on the contrary, but please Firaxis, make Alpha Centauri 2 already… Pretty please?

9. M337ING

Unless I’m much mistaken, this is one of those PC exclusives the console-tards on this site have been arguing don’t exist. What now?

10. RGW1982

Sid Meier’s Civilization Franchise Sucks Hairy Balls.

11. mington

I think RGW is confusing the Sid Meier’s Civilization Franchise with his mother :eek:

Do a little dance make a little love get down tonight get down tonight

12. SunKing

I’ve lost all interested in Civ, but if they make a new Alpha Centauri game then I am so in.

Also, Civ Revolution is one of the few console strategy games that I thought worked well on that platform. If they’d made it any more complicated it likely wouldn’t have worked as well.

13. RGW1982

@ 11

Actually I Was Confusing Sid Meier’s Civilization Franchise With You Bitch, It’s Because You’re Both Gay & You Both Suck Hairy Balls. ;)

14. mington

@RGW

how did you know i had a split personality, my secret is out, that i and i like the hairy meat balls