Misuse of Unreal led to Last Remnant framerate problems, says Square Enix

Thursday, 18th February 2010 15:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

lastremnant4

Misuse of the Unreal Engine 3 led to the much talked about framerate problems The Last Remnant had come across, according to Square Enix.

Chief Technology Officer Juilen Merceron said in an interview with Gama: “One of the traps with middleware is that some game teams believe that, because they got this middleware, maybe they need less programmers on their team, or maybe they don’t need that many skilled programmers.

“Sometimes middleware is just something that a studio or a game team is going to use because they don’t find the right people.

“Some people use middleware because they just don’t find talent, and I think that replacing talent with middleware is the first mistake that some game teams can make because, when it is too late — when you realize that actually the middleware won’t be able to provide the features that you need — then basically you don’t have anyone that is able to solve the problem on your team,” he further added

The Last Remnant was released in 2008 for Xbox 360 before getting a PC release last year. A PS3 version was also meant to be released, but that has never materialised.

It’s prompted speculation it’s been since canned.

1. Blerk

Tell us what happened to the PS3 version!

2. theevilaires

Excuses, if you ask me. Yea whatever happened to the PS3 version?

3. jkoz

Maybe they’re fixing it.

4. bluemanrule

The PC version addressed the issue and, from what I’ve read, plays much better than its 360 counterpart. The PS3 version was slated to the receive the PC improvements. I don’t think it will still release b/c of the low sellthrough rates of the other two versions. It’s sad b/c I really enjoy the game and actually look to finish it this month.

5. DaMan

…. no shit, SquEnix.

6. Goliath

Wasn’t the PS3 version listed for Europe sometime in the summer?

7. DaMan

yeah, apparently it was cancelled.

edit – actually I would prefer them putting more resources into this project instead of FF13 :/ TLR could’ve been quite good.

8. onlineatron

That’s the first TEA post i’ve seen in a loooong while.

Anyway, I hate the UE3 engine, it’s even enough to ruin the sumptuous art style of ME2.

9. Phoenixblight

This game was god awful. Glad I rented it would have been worst money spent.

10. joseangelhe

I enjoyed it quite a bit.