EA: No developers out there can compete with DICE online

Thursday, 18th February 2010 23:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bfbc2

EA has once again challenged Activision’s Infinity Ward and Treyarch to a FPS fight to the death by claiming Battlefield: Bad Company 2 developer DICE is tops when it comes to online multiplayer.

Okay, maybe not a fight to the death, but that would sure draw a crowd into a coliseum.

According to EA product manager Will Graham, there isn’t a developer out there now that can compete with DICE.

“DICE is at the forefront of defining the multiplayer and online vehicle warfare space and has substantial pedigree in this area following many years of success,” Graham told MCV. “We genuinely believe there isn’t a developer out there that competes with DICE in this space, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is going cement that.

“The use of vehicles in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 sets it apart from the competition and no one else in the industry does this better.

“This is also something the core are very excited about: DICE’s history of delivering a multiplayer experience utilizing vehicles is something that sets it apart from anything else in the market. It’s also an element that fits with the increasing emphasis on multiplayer for gamers in general.”

This isn’t the first time EA has laid down the gauntlet.

Back in January, the game’s producer, Karl-Magnus Troedsson, said that the franchise “has always been deeper” than its rivals.

In another instance, EA’s European boss, Jens-Uwe Intat, stated that the company wanted its crown back after being usurped as the number one shooter franchise, and the release of the game will be the first blow to the competition.

That’s not the end of it either. DICE’s Patrick Bach admitted back in late January that EA exes see topping Modern Warfare “as a goal” for BFBC2 to achieve.

Guess we’ll find out once the game is released on March 2 and March 5 in the US and UK, respectively.

So far, it has proven to be quite popular – the demo for it was downloaded over 2 million times on PSN and XBL as of last week.

1. M2Kx

LOL :D

2. Erthazus

Actually its true.

3. Yoshi

I gotta admit, they do, do it the best :D

4. endgame

i didn’t think how awesome bfbc2 would be until i tried the beta. now i realize i made a mistake. cod mw2 feels like a joke compared to it. and what ea is saying, bragging or no bragging they r right.

5. Grimrita

I still think that Bad Company 2 is their worst outting yet. Its just too restricting now especially with the unlocks being pre-determined now and how you can no longer pick your unlocks.

No prone, lag online and the messy Server UI in my view, its taken a giant step back from the original BF series.

6. NGCes26294BIV

“The use of vehicles in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 sets it apart from the competition”

I like to run around and shoot things in my FPSs, not drive vehicles, thanks. If I wanted to drive vehicles around a muddy terrain I’d buy Dirt.

7. NGCes26294BIV

@5 Said like a true PC gamer.

And no, that wasn’t a compliment.

8. DrDamn

@Grimrita
    I thought the unlock system was pretty good. Rewards based on what you do rather than just simply getting them for levelling.

9. Grimrita

Sorry, i forgot you like things to be very simplified.

Naa.. You try unlocking Recon while so many around you managed to do it from day zip :(

10. NGCes26294BIV

@9 Why does something have to be complicated in order for it to be good?

11. DrDamn

@Grimrita
    Care to elaborate a little – I played the demo for a couple of nights solid when it first came out but haven’t played it since as I wanted it to be fresh when the full game is released. What do you mean about the Recon unlock?

12. reask

I must try the demo its been sitting on my hard drive for a couple of weeks.

13. OlderGamer

Thats about the dumbest thing I have ever read regaurding online MP fps games. Go back to playing CoD and their tiny fishbowl style spawn shoot shoot shoot die spawn shoot – rinse and repeat gameplay. Very shallow.

When your ready for some depth, come play a Battlefield game.

14. NGCes26294BIV

For someone dubbed ‘older gamer’, a little tact or common sense wouldn’t go amiss.

I’ll repeat an earlier point: Why does something have to be complicated in order for it to be good, or indeed, have ‘depth’? The suggestion that an FPS only becomes tactical when you introduce large maps and vehicles is a dumb comment. The two things are not mutually exlusive, I just happen to personally prefer non-vehicular multiplayer.

It’s an opinion, nothing more. If you feel the need to deride my opinion because you disagree, then I suggest you visit the N4G or IGN forums, where your attitude will be very welcome.

15. OlderGamer

“I’ll repeat an earlier point: Why does something have to be complicated in order for it to be good, or indeed, have ‘depth’?”

Thats not a point, that is indeed an opinion.

Fun doesn’t have to mean complex strategies or contain depth. Pacman and Tetris are both fun and lack depth.

However games evolve. And most generes will evlove. FPS games can cover a large varity of gameplay types and offerings. And to keep things fresh in a large sea of stale me too games, the top fps games are spicing things up. Have been for awhile now. There is a realy need to break away from the pack.

Allowing leveling/exp gains. Allowing kits/class selection. Getting away from straight DM/TDM by intruducing map objectives. Having helichopters, tanks, jeeps, 4 wheelers, boats, AA guns, guideed SAMs, Rader tags, landmines, C4, Destructive enviroments, morter strikes, satelite guided attacks, calling in air strikes and much more are some of the things that happen in a Battlefield game that open up and spice up the same old tired and worn out formula.

16. NGCes26294BIV

“Thats not a point, that is indeed an opinion.” Actually, we’re both wrong – it’s a question, but never mind…

It’s not about not wanting depth, I just find the more elements you add to a game, the messier it often becomes.

Invariably there are plenty of games that have perfectly good shooting mechanics, only to be let down by the vehicle handling, or vice versa. To get it right with two elements (let alone half a dozen) is a very big ask.

Also, introducing so many ‘roles’ into a multiplayer game means that you need larger teams, more coherence between players, and let’s be honest – that just doesn’t work well in practice. MAG being a case in point; a great idea, fairly well-executed, but inevitably one that will live or die based on how committed players are to learn the rules and play by them. And we’re talking about mass market console gamers here – short attention spans and all.

It’s fine for clans, professionals or team-focussed gamers, but as a developer your net needs to be cast wider than that if you’re to make a substantial ROI.

I love RTCW: Enemy Territory on PC – I’m not much of a PC gamer, but I used to play it at lunch with a bunch of people from work. Great fun, very tactical, and although it had ‘a’ vehicle, it was more of an objective focus than a combat element. That’s the kind of game I think could thrive on consoles especially – combat focussed, with class roles designed to cover all tastes without being too complicated.

TF2 is another good example (I think), although I have to confess I’ve not played it yet.

….

Oh, and
    “So, your right, you don’t NEED depth. I just can’t understand why you wouldn’t WANT some.”

I HAVE some, and that’s the point. Modern Warfare (for example) has depth, just not in the way you want it. And that’s fine.

And I’m all for destructible environments to become standard, btw.

17. Grimrita

Personally, I just dont find it as engaging as BF2142 for example. I love that game and have spent thousands of hours playing in in two years.

In BF2142, once you scored points, you could spend them on any unlock for any of the classes – it didnt matter which class you chose to play.

Instead now, you can only unlock an item specific to the class you played and instead of making a choice of whether you wanted amps or smoke nades (for example), you are now led down the path of having to unlock stuff in order.

Not having prone pissed me off but that isnt my main gripe. The UI is awful (menus not in game) – you cant arrange the servers in an order of best latency for example and the lag on some servers is unreal – especially when a tree falls down for example.

Since beta started, I have spent only 9 or 10 hours on it and just dont get excited about playing it like I did with 2142.

There is so much wrong than right at the moment and yes, it is only beta but this game needs ALOT of work before being released.

PS – it was the PC beta and I have a system more than capable of running the game at max

18. reask

Im with ngc on this one.
    MW2 is fun lots of fun and the beauty of it is you can jump in and out as often as you like.
    Also the barracks are great where you get all your stats.
    When you are comparing them to others you can see haw good or bad you are doing.

Also there is nothing easy about it and no 2 matches are ever the same.

19. Surgeon

@ Grimrita
    “The UI is awful (menus not in game)…”

I think your gripes are a little misjudged there Grimrita.
    It looks pretty obvious that the functionality is there to resort all the columns in the server menu’s. It just hasn’t been implemented in the Beta.

At least the cursor doesn’t reset back to the middle when you edit the controls anymore.

Plus you’d expect it to be a bit laggy right, it’s still Beta.
    I’m sure it’ll be sorted for release.

As far as the unlocks go…
    You can at least use some of the unlocks across classes, allowing you to customise the existing classes somewhat.

Fair enough with the 2142 comparisons.
    Personally I found that really slow and sluggish compared to BF2.

At the end of the day, I feel Bad Company 2 is the best example of infantry and vehicular combat around at the moment.
    And at the very worst, it’ll definitely do until Battlefield 3 is released :)

20. Grimrita

Maybe Surgeon but I was and still am disappointed in BC2 right now. Yes its only beta but I need to see a major patch announcement for day 1 as I have cancelled my pre-order for it.

I dont even think it will last that long until BF3 arrives but who knows.

21. AHA-Lambda

Hell I agree BC2 is the best MP I’ve ever played!! :D

22. reask

Why is the demo looking for a password off me.
    It has my email but wont let me in without a password.