Sony: PS3 has 360 beat on first-party titles, catching up rapidly on third-parties

Wednesday, 17th February 2010 03:04 GMT By Nathan Grayson

playstation_3_logo_041106

Underdog. Come-from-behind victory. “Giant enemy crab.” Just a few years ago, Sony would never have associated itself with any of these phrases. But that’s all changed with the bumpy ride that is the PS3.

Now, though, after an extremely successful price cut, the once-humbled console maker seems to be back in the saddle of its high horse. Translation: time for some good old fashioned videogame exec trash talk.

“We do better for our publishing community than 360 does,” SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations Rob Dyer told Industry Gamers. “As our installed base starts catching up and gaining on 360, you’re going to see the publisher side much quicker get to par than even if we had the same number of [360 hardware] units.”

“So for instance, with a title like Madden, I think the index was 1.4 to 1.0, which meant we way oversold on PS3 versus 360, given the installed base. That’s only going to get better and better as the installed base continues to grow.”

Dyer also took Microsoft’s first-party branch to task, tearing its efforts limb-from-limb.

“They have very few first-party studios at Microsoft. Bungie’s next Halo is the last one, Rare rarely puts out anything, you’ve got Peter Molyneux with his Fable stuff… but they don’t have first-party development studios inside at Redmond or anywhere for that matter. We do. So rather than putting their money behind that, they’ve been going to Epic or Valve or BioWare to do what they did with Mass Effect, and that’s where they throw their dollars.”

“Candidly,” he added, “we’re not going to compete with Microsoft on that front, but what we have is a global business here. Our global business is bigger than 360′s and will continue to get bigger than 360, and people are seeing that. We passed them in Europe and they don’t even exist in Japan, and we’re going to catch them and pass them here in the U.S. as well.”

Yeah, operator? Get us Aaron Greenberg. Tell him shit just got real.

1. ivycrew707

FINALLY!!!!!!!! Someone from Sony talks a little trash…..I hate Greenburg and as a PS3 Fanboy am so happy to hear from a person in our camp take a few shots.

2. Phoenixblight

Only one word:

BURN!

3. IL DUCE

yeah well PS3 is gay, and the online system has no money put into it so it sucks…now he’s talking smack since they finally passed the x box…um…whats been happening the past 4 years? everyone just forgets about that huh…yeah this guy can go suck a fat nut…360 4 LIFE…go play your whack jap rpgs and wanna-be male version tomb raider games (uncharted), and the lag fest known as mag…that many players is just overkill son….enjoy the whackness

4. JasperLoons

The flame wars had really died down recently. Maybe Sony likes the flame wars and decided they needed to fan those flames a little, because that’s some pretty serious trash talking.
    I’m a Sony fanboy though, so I won’t complain… until Microsoft retaliates ;)

5. RGW1982

LOL.. See That’s What Happens *Points @ 3* When You Buy An Inferior Product, We Get SONY Haters Because SONY Built A Superior System. ;)

6. Jadeskye

*hugs my pc* you and me for life baby…for life…

7. JimFear666

As a ps3 fanboy, all i have to say is that ps3 has still hard time with 3rd parties since they cant keep one of these… I will believe it when a 3rd parties exclusive game will stay with the ps3. But if he’s talking about the quality of 3rd parties games on ps3, yeah he’s right studios seems now to know how to deal with the ps3 if we do a compare it to the 1st years of the ps3.

But we’ve got to be down to earth… there is a 9 millions difference between ms and sony in north america. I really doubt they will be able to beat ms in n.a but if we check the world wide numbers there is only 6 millions units between ms and ps3 so … maybe if people start to buy ps3 like maniacs these numbers could change.

8. Dannybuoy

@3. You need to grow some intelligence on that amoeba type body you have

9. RGW1982

“maybe if people start to buy ps3 like maniacs these numbers could change.”

That’s Exactly What God Or War 3, Twisted Metal & Other Great PS3 Exclusive Will Do, As Well As The “ARC” Bringing In Wii Players By The Masses To The PS3 Who Want That HD Experience, 2010 Is The Last Year Of The 360, So The 360 Fan Boys Better Enjoy It While They Can.. In 2011 The PS3 Will Dominate Both The Hardware & Software Sales, As Well As Have Games That Go Beyond The Capabilities Of A 16x MSAA Found On High-End PC Graphic Cards.

Mean While 360 Fan Boys Will STILL Be Playing Games With 4x MSAA On The 360.. How Sad For Them.

10. Robo_1

I think that’s one of the most brazen attacks I’ve ever read from a Sony PR man talking about 360. There was some proper brutal stuff in there, “none existent in Japan”, all the we’ve/will pass them stuff, it’s the more confrontational smack talk which Greenberg usually throws around.

11. The1stMJC

Damn son Rob Dyer just served the 360 yo!
    *folds arms and poses next to a PS3*

12. Johnny Cullen

I think that’s the most agressive attack SCE has done this gen. 8O

13. Galactic_Barret

From what I’ve read on NeoGAF, aside from the 1st party quip, its mostly true. Its irrelevant though, because revenue is what matters in this situation (apparently), and it seems that MS brings the most money to the table. Sony just can’t catch a break. Still, as long as they keep the good ish coming, they’ll always be my #1.

14. Blerk

He’s right about the first-party studios thing, Sony are much stronger than Microsoft in that respect.

However, I like how he picked just about the only game in the last 12 months which sold better on PS3 than 360 to prove his point, ignoring the fact that practically every other third party title sells much, much better on Microsoft’s platform. :-D

15. Mike

Well, the games are still poorer, with longer longer loading times, rubbish 5Gb install and poorer online…

FIGHT!

16. abbe

RGW1982: I don’t even know what you wrote in post 9, why? because I couldn’t read past the first line.
    PLEASE Stop Using Big Letters For Each Word, It Makes It Extremely Hard To Read.

I’ve never understood why people do this.

17. Robo_1

In the US it’s certainly MS who pay publishers bills, but worldwide it’s a lot, lot closer. Didn’t Ubisoft earn the same from both platforms last year, and I believe it’s a similar situation with EA.

He certainly got carried away talking about FF14 exclusivity and passing 360 in America, that’s some crazy talk but the whole first party thing was bang on, although MS have some obvious retorts.

All fun and games I suppose, and if Greenberg is going to go to press and smack talk the PS3, then I suppose it’s up to Sony to set their own pit bull loose. Certainly makes for more interesting interviews…

18. NGCes26294BIV

Like always, it’s things people DON’T say that defines these arguments. The fact that the PS3 has poorer multiplatform conversions (that, admittedly, are getting better), mandatory installs, a weak (albeit free) online platform missing basic features, and like Blerk said, almost every 3rd party title sells better on 360.

And quite frankly, whether 1st or 3rd party, exclusives are exclusives. Gears and Mass Effect might as well be MS products.

Incidentally, for those that care, the gap between the two consoles’ sales has remained very similar for the last 3 years. The difference is that a 7m gap between 9m & 16m looks more impressive than that between 32m & 39m. Sony aren’t catching anybody – They’re only outselling MS in Japan, but are miles behind in the US and have again fallen behind in Europe. It’s parity at best, and that’s only been because of the Slim and a price drop. Last month saw their sales slowing down again, and they’re now having a hardware shortage too.

19. KillerDD

‘Bungie’s next Halo is the last one’

He doesn’t seriously believe that does he?

20. NGCes26294BIV

@19 Even if he does, he’s obviously not mentioning that Microsoft have first refusal on the next IP from Bungie, meaning they’ll own Halo AND a new franchise.

21. polygem

ps3 got more exclusives. that´s true. but ms got some really really good exclusives as well. i think the ps3 is only slightly leading here, and not because of quality but because of quantity…i think the price cut really helped a lot. i bought a ps3 because of that again after i sold my first one and was happy with my old 360. was really disappointed with the ps3 back then at launch. i definately prefer the 360. sony does a terrible job with psn, also the dualshock is still – even after all these years A JOKE while the 360 pad is a haptic lovemachine…in the end both are great machines, but i would´t say that the ps3 is somehow superior…what counts for me in the end is on which system i have the most fun and that to me is still the 360, while i use the ps3 as a cute little sony exclusives only playingtool…

22. abnormal alan

I’ve had a 360 for about 2 years now and got my ps3 in October, I’m definatly no fan boy one way or the other but I’ve got to say this is the first time i’ve got a new console and still 90% of the time been playing my other one. Everything just seems to take so long on the ps3 and it drives me mad though I gotta say I cant wait for God of War 3

I do love how these PR guys just go at each other. We should just put them in the wilderness and let them go Brokeback Mountain on each other.

23. abnormal alan

@polygem

I gotta agree if you generally if a game is multiformat I’ll get it on my 360 the ps3 pretty much only exists for exclusives and blurays

24. polygem

hehe, yeah same here…and i like the ps3 for that, but if someone would force me into a decission i´d pick the 360 without thinking twice.

25. psxman

@6 I love my PS3 and don’t game on my PC. But dayum man, I respect you!
    And this is how we should all live; ammarite?

26. deftangel

Asides from the fact his ratio argument is complete bobbins, I think he hasn’t got the memo that it’s not really catching up at all.

Leaving aside the Wii sold practically what the PS3/360 did in 2009 in one month last year.

27. DrDamn

@abbe
    +1 – I stopped reading posts by RGW1982 a little while back. Too annoying to read.

28. PolyGoneWithTheWind

When You Capitalise Every Word It Makes What You Say It Doesn’t Make Your Opinion More Important…

Agree with Blerk, you can’t harp on about the exception to the rule. 360 will continue to out-sell PS3 on cross-platform titles due to the huge lead they have in North America.

But, that is very rare agression from Sony…

29. Blerk

Maybe he’d ‘had a few’. :-D

30. JonFE

That’s what I don’t like about PR people, you give them an inch and they’ll take a mile…

31. OrphanageExplosion

Except the 360 is selling at the same rate as PS3, or more so according to the last NPD. And the later adopters don’t buy as many games as the early adopters.

You honestly have to ask yourself what Sony has to gain by “trash talking”. Money talks when it comes to the publishers and developers, and the games for the PS3 should speak for themselves.

32. Galactic_Barret

Are some of you missing the worldwide part? Its easy to dismiss it if you only look at the US numbers, but I’m pretty sure the bulk of his argument is based on the entire industry, not just the biggest fraction. Either way, probably a dead topic, so I’ll leave it at that.

33. The Hindle

Yawn maybe Sony should focus on overtaking the 360 and not talking about it. This is the first time in a while they have attacked the competition makes a change from Greenberg.

34. onyxbox

’bout time Sony stop taking it from MS and start fighting back.

At the end of the day, everything he said is true from what I know. The gap is closing, they do have more 1st party studios, they aren’t adopting the same model as MS for exclusivity and they probably did sell more copy’s of Madden.

All the 360 counter arguments in here suggest the 360 fans know these things are true and don’t like it one bit and Sony are showing renewed confidence.

Let’s just hope they keep delivering, otherwise these PR people are going to get the shit ripped out of ‘em, by the gaming press who already seem heavily invested/attached to the XBox platform.

35. Psychotext

they probably did sell more copy’s of Madden

They didn’t sell more copies of Madden onyxbox, they sold more per machine on average. (i.e. Higher tie ratio for that particular game)

I’m not sure why a publisher would actually care about that vs total revenue… but those are the stats given in the interview.

36. PolyGoneWithTheWind

It is kinda hiding behind statistical demographic analysis – if there was the exact same amount of Xboxes and PS3′s in each country and globally. Looking at average PS3 buyer, yeah, Madden would sell more. FIFA would sell more… but Mass Effect 2 would sell more on Xbox (if released cross-platform. You’ll have MS say something else when the gap is really close based on a more traditional Xbox franchise/game.

83.2% of all statistics are lies…

37. onyxbox

Yes you’re right… it came out wrong there :D

I did understand it as that.

38. JonFE

Indexes, ratios, percentages, statistics… you can be very *creative* using them…

39. ivycrew707

A good year head start will up any systems overall install base, so leading america cant be a big surprise. For some reason thats one of the most forgotten facts when comparing numbers. It probably wouldn’t push PS3 over the edge, but MS lead wouldnt be much to brag about.

40. Blerk

41. Michael O’Connor

“I think the reason it’s generally forgotten is because everyone expected the PS3 to sail past the 360 in “no time at all”.”

Exactly. People seem to forget very easily just how heavily the PS2 dominated the last generation. It was the equivalent of the Wii in this generation in terms of sales versus the competition.

42. DJ Deathstar

“but they don’t have first-party development studios inside at Redmond or anywhere for that matter”

How did he work that one out? Only yesterday CVG posted a job listing for its Redmond studio working on a large franchise incoporating Natal, and if Bungie do leave the Halo franchise alone than Microsoft are still going to continue it with their own 343 Industries

43. OlderGamer

And in the end it really doesn’t matter.

Wii, for the win!

44. Psychotext

No way OG. Did you not see the long term predictions?

:P

45. The Hindle

Nothing is ever certain in business look at Sony from what they were to what they are now could easily happen to Nintendo. Sounds unlikely but no one would of expected Sony to be where they are now.

46. OlderGamer

lol @ PT

47. tatsujin

Nice! Can I get Versus XIII now? =.=

48. Anthorne

The arc is not gonna get wii players on the PS3. Wii players like Wii sports,fit,play, and sports resort thats it.

49. oljemannen

This site seriously need moderation, this site stench of fanboys. On topic: Who cares? Get a job, get both/all consoles.

50. Anthorne

O YEA! I love that fanboy stench gets me up in the morning.

51. Herlock

Why i like SCE, internal studio are awesome!

52. RGW1982

@ 48

You’re An Idiot If You Think The “ARC” Is Not Gonna Bring In Wii Players, With Way, WAY Better Motion Controls & Games Like Those But In High Definition, Yes They Will Flock To The PS3 Especially The Wii Players Who Alreay Have An HDTV.. There’s No Point In Owning A HDTV If You Don’t Use The High Definition.

53. IL DUCE

The PS3 is a glorified blu-ray player…

And if I bought an inferior product, why does every game look better on the 360 than it does on the PS3, since they are using some alien congo materials and crazy jap technology no one understands besides the people who made the damn thing…

54. RGW1982

It’s Called They Ported The 360 Version To The PS3, This Is What’s Called “Holding The PS3 Back” When Dealing With Multiplatform Titles, Why Do You Think PS3 Exclusives Are So Superior? Because The 360′s Hardware Is Inferior & Cannot Even Compete With The PS3.

You Bought Inferior Hardware, This Is A Well Known Fact.. The PS3′s Hardware Is Clearly Superior Over The 360′s Hardware, Again This Is A Fact Not An Opinion.. FACT.