EA to close more online servers

Wednesday, 17th February 2010 10:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ealogo2

EA’s announced it is going to close more online servers for its games.

It’s the second such cull in recent months after a first batch of games which had an online service was shut down last month.

This time, the changes affect Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for PC, The Godfather for PS3 and 360, Army of Two for PS3 in Asia only, Lord of the Rings: Conquest for PS3 and 360 and The Simpsons Game for PS3 and 360.

Also going to be shutdown is Need for Speed: Carbon and Pro-Street for PSP and Burnout 3: Takedown for PS2 and Xbox.

The shutdowns take place on March 16 and April 15, respectively.

Find the full list through here.

1. Blerk

I fear for the future of retro gaming.

2. NGCes26294BIV

Meh. Does anyone still play these games online? I assume not, hence the closures.

It costs a lot of money to keep so many redundant servers in operation. This makes sense, even if it is a little sad for the three people still playing Takedown.

3. Pyrix

LOTR: Conquest is only just a year old, so its pretty odd that their closing them this early. Obviously no-one plays multi-player any more.

4. Thalius

This sucks… LOTR conquest gonna go “un-platinumed” for all eternity grrrrr

5. Hunam

I imagine that they only shut down servers that go unpopulated too much. LOTR Conquest was a bit crap and I guess it never really took off. It’s not like they’re closing down the Paradise servers where people actually play :P

6. OlderGamer

We still play Lord of the Rings Conquest.

With the recent rash of closings, it seems to me that the games that offer lan support make it easier on the game fan to close. We still have lan parties for Mechassult. Of course the trouble is if we lose a HDD and its respective dlc, we are screwed.

7. Retroid

Phew, I was playing Mercs 2 online last night with a chum on 360 so pleased it’s not that platform for this particular game.

8. RGW1982

Typical EA, This Is Why I Avoid Most EA Games, There’s That & Their REAL Slogan..

EA: Fuck Up Everything

9. Kamikaze_Tutor

Wow, they really stretch the life out of Burnout 3. I’m actually impressed. They probably forgot about those dusty servers until now.

10. Joe_Gamer

This is why games that require an online component are such a bad idea, servers are too expensive to maintain indefinitely so any game that requires the net is more like a long term rental than an actual purchase(yet conveniently costs the same or even more than a real game if you add in DLC). So consider that when you’re looking at the next crop of Ubisoft crapware.

11. RGW1982

Ummm, What Did Ubisoft Shut Down?.. I Mean Even The HAZE Servers Are Still Up & Running, Surely No Ones Playing That.

12. The Juice707

Okay, I am not flaming in anyway, but why do you capitalize every word, RGW?

13. RGW1982