Codemasters pulls support on Op Flash: Dragon Rising

Wednesday, 17th February 2010 08:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

operationflashpoint2

Codemasters has announced it’s pulling out of the battlefield that is Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

The firm says it has no intention of releasing any further patches for the shooter, as well as additional DLC for it after the release of the Overwatch pack on PS3.

On its forums, Codies community manager Ian Webster said:

“With the upcoming release of the Overwatch DLC on PS3, and a few “heated” threads on the topic, I just wanted to inform you all that the team have now completed the “Dragon Rising” chapter of Operation Flashpoint and that’s it for DR-related content going forward.

“We are sorry if Dragon Rising and the two DLCs released to date have left you wanting even more, but in the grand scheme of future plans and schedules the vast majority of the team are already busy planning the future of modern combat.

“We’re aware that this news might disappoint some of you, but I kindly ask that you all please keep any future posts on this topic mature and constructive.”

Fin.

1. Grimrita

I’m sure all the 4 people who play it still will be pissed off.

2. NGCes26294BIV

Guys, why aren’t we informed every time a game stops recieving DLC or patches?

In fact, if you did, it would probably constitute a whole site unto itself.

3. _S_E_R_G_

True, Grimrita.

4. Michael O’Connor

“I’m sure all the 4 people who play it still will be pissed off.”

A depressing comment, considering the game is great.

5. Grimrita

The game is far from being a great.

6. Michael O’Connor

What exactly is wrong with it?

7. TEC_Sukhoi

This is wrong with it: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/operationflashpointdragonrising?q=operation%20flashpoint#usercomments

read the comments ofd people who have actually played it, mr O connor, have you?

8. pleasant_cabbage

Almost everything. Stupid, suicidal, squad-mates; inconsistent hit boxes; lack of diversity in missions; lack of vehicles (especially in sp), restrictive map limits on co-op; timers and no-go areas for no real reasons, rubbishy graphics; poor collision detection; spawntastic enemies; lack of anything approaching anything other than ‘Charge!!!!!!’ ai; terrible handling; reliance on scripted set-pieces over true OF style big emergent missions.

Apart from that it’s a fine addition to the OF franchise. ;)

9. TEC_Sukhoi

But hey, how would O connor know? He’s a journalist

10. DrDamn

I quite enjoyed what I played of it, and a number of patches did sort out the majority of issues apparently. What killed it for me was the unavoidable use of AI squad mates in online versus matches. It would have been great online if it was just human controlled players.

11. NGCes26294BIV

Oh dear. One mention of Dragon Rising and all the disgruntled PC gamers come out to play.

Dedicated servers are on the way out – get over it already.

OFP:DR has a 76 average on Metacritic across all platforms, which shows that it’s a decent, if unremarkable, game. I enjoyed it for the co-op. I’m not much of a multiplayer fan outside of Halo, MW and L4D.

12. El_MUERkO

OFP:DR was about 70% of a good game, it wasn’t finished with a short dull singleplayer campaign that made little use of the island or vehicles and a multiplayer component was deficient when compared to similar games.

The PC games online component didn’t even work at launch, people had to use the LAN functionality with VPNs to connect to each other.

The game deserves to die.

13. SavageD

Honestly who cares about OFP:DR? Arma2 gets better and better, and continues to grow.

Check http://www.arma2.com/community-awards-2009_en.html

/goes back to playing Arma 2 with full developer and community support :P

14. NGCes26294BIV

“The game deserves to die.”

Anyone who feels this way about games should be ashamed. No-one goes out to create a bad game, and a team that work hard to do something well should always be given the opportunity to do something better.

Dragon Rising was good enough to sell well and score reasonably. I suspect the issues people had with this will be looked at by the dev team.

Again, the only people I see complaining about it here are PC gamers. No surprise there.

15. endgame

ok so does it have dedicated servers now? if not, yes, it deserves to die. the developers and the publisher deserve to die, in pain! f**king twats. u don’t get that the customer is almost always right. :)

16. Michael O’Connor

@ pleasant_cabbage

Thanks for sharing your opinion in a far less abusive manner than the the brat before you. I guess I must be odd, because I enjoyed this game, especially as a co-op experience with friends.

@ TEC_Sukhoi

“Read the comments of people who have actually played it, mr O connor, have you?”

I fail to see the relevance of the link. Just because other people state an opinion does not necessarily make it a valid one, popular or not. So there are people who don’t like it? Your point?

I asked for people *here* to present their own personal opinions on what they think is wrong with the game, not for some smart-assed, foul-mouthed abuse from a little punk with a testosterone problem.

“But hey, how would O connor know? He’s a journalist.”

What the fuck? Seriously, what does that even have to do with anything?

17. Michael O’Connor

And having read the comments on that Meta Critic page, I can safely relax in the knowledge that the vast majority of them are clearly posted by ignorant and disgruntled PC fanboys who don’t like the game simple because it doesn’t conform to their tunnel-vision perspective and taste.

18. pleasant_cabbage

I was only semi-serious MO’C. It was disappointing but I got a few hours of fun out of it in co-op, like yourself.

However, imo it didn’t capture the vibe of the earlier versions. But I ain’t no pc-bot! I’m talking about the (slimmed down) xbox version!(I think I can hear snorts of disgust already) ;)

The previous ones just had that open world feel, for me, DFR didn’t and as that was my main love of the original, it did sour the experience for me.

19. Grimrita

@ 17.
    Wow – who is ignorant now if you think that PC ‘fanboys’ have a tunnel-vision perspective and taste?

Yet another Journo who hasnt a clue what he is talking about maybe? OFP started life on the PC and all the PR bullshit indicated that this new outing would be no different.

I know for a fact that so much stuff was removed so this could ship and if stuff gets promised, then is removed, people will be pissed off – PC or console fanboys.

Im sick of developers getting lazy because essentially, thats what is it – stripping out many key features that made the original so good (not just in OFPs case).

All these so called ‘big budgets’ dont so much go on game development, but instead on all the PR shit designed around kissing the arses of people like you.

/rant over

20. NGCes26294BIV

“I know for a fact that so much stuff was removed so this could ship”

No. No you don’t. You’re a very bitter and disgruntled person that clearly has no concept of either the development or publishing process. If you did, then you would know that releasing a shit game on purpose is a very bad idea. No-one in their right mind would purposefully make something worse just to piss people (like you) off.

Sadly, it’s attitudes like yours, as incoherent as they are (“Im sick of developers getting lazy because essentially, thats what is it” doesn’t make grammatical sense) that will be the downfall of PC gaming.

A bad attitude does not make people care about what you think. Being contructive and informative will get you want you want far sooner.

/patronising explanation over

21. Whizzo

A game that’s released on more powerful hardware but with far less features than the already slimmed down, but still good, Xbox version of the original game is a disgrace.

The game promised a lot and delivered bugger all, Codemasters seriously screwed up with it.

22. Grimrita

@20. i was actually working on this title, so yes, I do.

23. TEC_Sukhoi

@ O connor – if you’re a journalist you’d always be drilling down to the ‘truth’ and cutting through the marketing bull****.
    If you look at al the promises codies made before launch and see what they came up with – we’ve been obviously been lied to.
    All the arguments are on the internet – do your research.

This has nothing to do with consoles or pc’s, it has to do with a company which blatantly lied to its customers. And I find it very odd that a journalist does not first check out the critics before saying: “why, it’s a great game” That’s not even objective.

24. NGCes26294BIV

@20.

“was” :)

The past tense is very telling.

25. ruckus

What do you expect from codemasters? All mouth and no t-shirt! … erm, all talk but no song … that’s not right either… all action but immobile. /gives up
    The point I’m trying to make is: When has Codemasters ever delivered?

26. NGCes26294BIV

Being objective is playing a game and deciding for yourself what you think of it, which is exactly what MoC did.

What you’ve done is base your opinion of what the game was on other people’s perception of what it could/should have been, which is massively SUBjective.

Checking what (some) other critics say before making your own mind up is anything but objective.

Micro Machines? Sensible Soccer? :)

Oh, and Dirt 2 was pretty good, but I’m not much of a racing fan to be honest.

27. TEC_Sukhoi

@ 26

Fair enough, subjectively we can at least say it was such a great game they pulled support after a year

28. NGCes26294BIV

I guess I’m used to that, being a predominantly console gamer. In fact, I’m still not used to games being supported after launch – I tend to think that my £40 is to buy the content on the disc, not the post-release gubbins.

I can’t say it really bothers me too much tbh, but I see why it grates some of you PC-centric guys.

Meh, each to their own.

29. Whizzo

They’ve dropped it in less than six months!

30. ruckus

Dirt 2 is pretty good – quite enjoy it, never a fan of Micro Machines but others liked it. Sensible Soccer did equal and better kick off 2 in the end and the race driver stuff was a good distraction from other stuff such as rFactor. I hates ‘em though for screwing with Colin McRae (stupid copy-protection wouldn’t work on my cd drive and ruined my life for seven whole days till they patched it or I got a no-cd, can’t remember which). …yeah, so – codemasters bad! /or something…

31. RGW1982

Actually Operation Flashpoint Is A Great FPS, But It’s Not Intended For Children & That’s Why The FPS nOObs Hate The Game, 4 Player Online Co-Op Through The Entire Campaign Completely OWNED.

Lets Hope For A Sequel As Realistic FPS Are By Far The Best FPS Games, But They’re Made For Adults So Kids Beware Or You’ll Cry About The Game After Getting Your Ass Kick Like The FPS nOObs Who Posted Above, Operation Flashpoint Is A Modern Warfare Simulator, If You Can’t Hack It In The Game Don’t Join The Military, Because War Is Nothing Like The Little Kids FPS That Is Modern Warfare 2.

32. Whizzo

Operation Flashpoint is a great game.

Operation Flashpoint:Elite is a very good console version of the original PC title.

Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising is dumbed down garbage.

33. IL DUCE

I was looking so forward to the game for almost a year before it came out…and it was by far one of the biggest game busts ever for me…

People stopped playing it a mere month after it came out, and they pulled support a little over 4 months after it came out…

Maybe the PC version was actually good and replayable, but the console version was garbage with 4v4 multiplayer with AI which made it like 16v16 but you were killing bots 80% of the time…and no one was playing it after it was out for a few weeks, not to mention it was released only a month before MW2…

The problem was it was so realistic that it was pretty much boring, even though it took a million bullets to kill one crawling chinese dude sometimes because they spent so much damn time mapping that crappy island that was murderously underused in the console versions that the gameplay was crap…and the hit detection sucked, and it basically was just horribly boring solo, some fun can be had playing it co-op, but otherwise one of the biggest game busts for me ever…I would not be surprised at all if that is the last we see of the OpFlash franchise for the next 5-10 years, if not ever…

34. RGW1982

“even though it took a million bullets to kill one crawling chinese dude”

LOL @ The FPS nOOb..

It Takes A Single Headshot To Kill Someone, You Might Wanna Go Back To The CoD Series So You Can Shoot Beside People & Kill Them.. OFP Is Not For Children, CoD However Is Perfect For A FPS nOOb Like Yourself.