Leaked Sonic the Hedgehog 4 footage shows Splash Hill Zone

Tuesday, 16th February 2010 22:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sonic

Oh you sneaky kids with your video cameras, loving nothing more than to spoil everyone’s fun – you’ve done it this time, and it’s Sonic you have leaked onto the internet.

Cheeky little runts.

Don’t hit the break if you want to remain unspoiled and pure.

Over on GameVideos, 1UP has posted some shaky-cam footage of the blue one’s return to 2D glory and the site was also sent some screens.

Better go look before SEGA starts yelling and it disappears forever – or until someone loads it onto a torrent.

The screens show four zones: Casino Street, Lost Labyrinth, Mad Gear, Splash Hill and a Special Stage from episode one, scheduled for summer on PSN, WiiWare and XBLA.

Sonic 4 was officially announced earlier in the month.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. onlineatron

It looks as bad as I feared it would.

I would have much preferred 16-bit

2. Johnny Cullen

I’m sorry, what?

Bloody nora. You all complain about the previous titles and ask for it to go back like it used to.

Now you get it, you’re all complaining? Sorry if I am passing myself off as a grump, but that’s very much hypocritical.

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Agreed JC. This looks outstanding. Just as I imagined a 2.5D retroish reboot should be. Definite purchase now.

4. SunKing

The physics and animation look off. They really need to fix those two things and make sure the level design is good. If they do, it could be alright.

5. dirigiblebill

Agreed. The animations don’t look as crisp as they did on the Megadrive, and the physics seems a little floaty.

I just wish they’d used 2D art for everything. Can’t think why they didn’t. There’s nothing all that “cutting edge” about 3D nowadays, is there?

Still, more back-to-basics Sonic platforming = good. So I’ll quit my whinging :)

6. Gheritt White

So… does this mean that the PS3 and X360 are capable of BLAST Processing???

7. RGW1982

It Will Look Even Better If The Game Is 3D Enabled For When The 3D System Update Comes Out For The PS3, I’m Sure They’ll Fix The Physics & It Will Be Just Like The Old 2D Games, Then Animations Will Be Up To Par When The Game Drops No Doubt.

8. Blerk

Wow, it looks like… Sonic the Hedgehog! Where’s the secret bit where they fuck it all up? Have they not revealed that yet? :-D

I actually really like Sonic 1, although I never really got into the other games. Still gets the odd whirl on the Megadrive emulator every now and then.

9. Gheritt White

Blerk mate, Sonic 2 is *clearly* the best in the series – makes Sonic 1 pale in comparison!

Went downhill swiftly afterwards, IMHO – yes, that includes Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D, Sonic Adventures etc etc. I really enjoyed Sonic Advance 1 and 2 though, plus I hear good things about Sonic Rush.

10. Blerk

Is Sonic 2 the one with the underwater bits? I couldn’t stand those.

11. bugmenot

@5 this is pure 2D btw ,not 2.5D as some have been saying, all 2d assets with parallax scrolling
    new linky since SEGA has been knocking on 1up’s door.

12. MasterChiefFenix

weird how he got kinda stuck at that angle at the angle. i remember him going back down before instead of standing at 45 degree angles. :/ graphically though – spectacular, imo.

13. mington

i love how the begin of the stage is identical to sonic 1, i hop they do that a lot, litter through out the whole game little section of familiarity

the level select had SPOILERS

casino street zone form sonic one
    lost labyrinth zone dreaded underwater level :)
    mad gear zone that was from sonic 2 i think, the one where you run on the nuts and blots

and looks like they are bringing back the special stage from sonic one

maybe they’ll have a different special stage/style for each chapter

14. Gekidami

4 zones by episode isnt to bad. As long as each one has atleast 2 stages and a boss…

15. mington

in the video, they select spring hill zone, then is greeted with 4 more choices
    act 1
    act 2
    act 3
    boss (my guess, can’t really make out what it says)

4×3 stage and 4 bosses

12 stages, thats sounds about right, having just 8 stages would feel like a bit of a rip

i reeeeeeeeeeeally hope they’ll do a level editer, they wont, but i can hope

16. mington

i’ve had the casino stage music in my head all morning :)

17. Gekidami

For a single episode that would be decent. Though if i did get the game i’d probably wait for the disc version.

18. Blerk

Unless, of course, there’s only a single zone in each episode and the rest of those zones only become available later on once you’ve bought the other episodes.

/cynic

I actually quite fancy going off and playing some classic Sonic now. Maybe I’ll start Sonic 2. Oh wait, I’m at bloody work. :-(

19. Gekidami

Emulator and rom on your work PC, go ahead! :D

20. Blerk

A few months ago that’d have been a breeze, but since the office move-around everyone’s in a much more prominent position. Bastards!

/shakes fist

21. NGCes26294BIV

This looks great. Would rather a disk version though. I’m REALLY not into the whole ‘episodic’ gaming thing.

22. dirigiblebill

@bugmenot

But the character model is a 3D object, isn’t it?

23. mington

for 2 years of collage all i did was play super mario bros 3 in class, then when ever it was time to hand in some work, i’d scan a text book with optical character recognition software and hand it in

i passed my advanced IT gnvq with a merit

those were the days my friend

24. Michael O’Connor

“It looks fantastic. It’s just in 2.5D. You know, keeping with the times, yet going back to its roots.”

It’s not even technically 2.5D Johnny. The models might have been created in CGI, but they’re entirely 2D objects on a 2D plane.

This might have worked a hell of a lot better of it *were* proper 2.5D.

25. SunKing

26. dirigiblebill

Actually I think Michael’s in the right – the models look like 2D renderings of 3D objects, if that’s the right way of putting it.

It’s no King of Fighters XII or Street Fighter II HD, on the strength of this footage at least, but the backdrops are great. Roll on Casino Street Zone.

27. Michael O’Connor

“As a couple of people have mentioned, the game objects are 3D, but the game plays on a 2D plane.”

Just from looking at it, and the way the objects interact with each (hit boxes and such), I ‘m almost convinced they are in fact not 3D objects on a 2D plane, but simply 2D objects based on 3D renders.

Which is a very bad design choice, if that’s the case. Its rarely ever works. They would have been much better off going with 2D renders.

It’s likely the cause of the “floaty” nature of the movement and especially the way in which Sonic jumps on Badniks. It doesn’t look naturally at all, but then, it’s a pretty poor quality video.

28. bugmenot

there’s no 3d fullstop it’s all sprites and bitmaps, the backrounds look handdrawn 2d, the foreground looks handdrawn 2d with 3d perspective(from what i can see) eg.loop the loop, The character model looks like it might have started life as a 3d model but been converted into dozens of sprites for ingame model ala Donkey Kong Snes which is the first game i know of that used sprites originally rendered in 3d. There would be no point rendering the character model in 3d you would get 3d rendering artifacts(aliasing) sprites sampled at high resolution would give you a much cleaner character image.

29. SunKing

I’ll trust you guys on this one, as you seem to have far more technical knowledge on the subject than I do.