No Gamepad support for BioShock 2 on PC, says 2K

Saturday, 13th February 2010 18:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bioshock2_360

2K has stated on the BioShock 2 official forums that gamepad support for the game on PC will not be implemented.

Bad news for those wanting to use their 360 controller with the version.

“I talked to the dev team about controller support for BioShock 2, and I want to let you know that we won’t be adding this into the game in a patch,” wrote a community manager (via Kotaku).

“The decision not to support the controller was not made lightly, and to add it now would take a complete re-envisioning of the UI that the team worked so hard to create.

“I’m sorry for those of you who are disappointed, and I want you to know that your comments and concerns have been heard and will be taken in to account when we are planning in the future.”

Maybe BioShock 3, then? Possibly, considering there are “many stories” that can still be told in regards to Rapture.

Keep hope alive, kiddos.

Game was released on February 9.

1. LewieP

Haven’t they already designed a UI that uses a controller?

2. Bulk Slash

Yes they did, but they were clearly too busy stuffing SecuROM and Games for Windows Live into the code to remember to leave in the gamepad support. Bioshock 2 is like an all-in-one shop for the reasons why I’d given up buying games on the PC.

3. blackdreamhunk

Anything to screw pc gamers and force them to buy a console. Guess what I am never ever buying a console ever! IF it’s not on a pc I will not be buying it. I would rather quit gaming for good than play on a console. I didn’t even give this game a look when I heared about the drm. franlky there is a lot better pc games on pc right now.like mass effect and dragon age. I have so meny games I have not played.

11 000 bankkuprt game devs and counting!

4. Gekidami

The PC verison apparently dosnt work with screens doing 19:9 or 16:10 either, it shows the game only in 4:3. Though they intend to patch it.

5. Flacc

But does this matter? if you wanted to use a gamepad get a console version, one of the appeals of the PC version is Mouse and keyboard surely?

6. RGW1982

Gay

7. Gekidami

Funnily enought alot of people like to use the argument that playing a PC is just as comfortable as playing on a console because you can easily hook it up to your TV and play your games whilst leaning back in your sofa. Yet theres also the argument going around that mouse and keyboard is a factor.

Honestly, to me they dont go hand in hand; Using a mouse and keyboard whilst lying down just dosnt work so people who really want a ‘console experience’ from their PC games (and it looks like ALOT of people want that) would probably rather use a pad.

8. Flacc

@7 That is odd, but believable, personally the reverse is true for myself, I play a console as I would my PC, at my desk, and I would say that any other setup is to lax for my liking, but perhaps I am alone in this train of thought.

9. Bulk Slash

@7 Yes, exactly. The goal for me is to be able to play console games but at a better resolution and frame rate thanks to the extra horsepower in the PC, but with the comfort of not having to sit at my desk.

To that end I’ve got a gaming laptop so I can play games on the go or hook it up to the TV, but it’s not very comfortable playing keyboard and mouse on it. It’s always been much nicer and easier to be able to just plug in the 360 pad and play.

Maybe it’s just been an unfortunate couple of months, but with Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 both not supporting the 360 pad it’s hard to feel the love…

10. endgame

why the fuck would i want to use a gamepad instead of a keyboard and a mouse to play a fps!? LOL!

11. Bulk Slash

Because mice don’t work very well on sofas.

12. DaMan

I play my consoles the same way as the PC, they are on my desk. I even use the same monitor.

never played an fps on PC with a gamepad.

13. blackdreamhunk

some people use speicalize pc gaming controllers to play their games.

not every pc gamers uses a mouse and key board

here is an exmaple

some pc gamers sophisticated gamers. We have high tech controllers to play our games

14. Badger

Not a lot of love being shoved the PC gamers way of late. Pretty much the only good news for me has been the GTAIV DLC incoming. Definitely no Alan Wake, maybe no Dead Space 2 and now this (not that I’d use a gamepad anyway, but still)

15. RGW1982

I Use PS2 Controllers For PC Gaming So Gamepad Support Is Always A Must, Not That I Would Get Bioshock 2 Even If It Had Gamepad Support..

16. SunKing

Speaking personally, it’s the really terrible DRM that’s stopping me buying PC games.

I do end up buying most games on Steam now, but I find that kind of DRM much more palatable to the five-installs-only or “We’re going to install secuROM without you knowing, which will then fuck up your system” DRM. No thanks.

Besides, all the games I buy on Steam – or any games I download at all, really – are so-called casual games or games that are old enough to have their prices slashed. If Steam goes bust, I will, probably, lose those games, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take. The risk is acceptable relative to how much I value those games.

I guess the essence of what I’m saying is that I don’t expect to be treated so poorly as a customer when I’m paying full-price for your product. When I’m paying a little less maybe certain concessions are permissable.

17. polygem

i play bs2 right now and i´m really really disappointed. i didn´t love the first one but i really liked it and i enjoyed the story..don´t know if i will even finish bs2 though…will it get better? i played like 3 or 4 hours now and all i do is fighting splicers while little sister gets the adam…never enough bullets, always swapping weapons. that´s not tactical, that´s boring…

18. SunKing

No, polygem, it doesn’t really get any better beyond that.

19. MushroomStamp

I’m playing this game with a controller on the PC and running 16:9 1920×1080… soooo I don’t know where some of you get your info.. but it’s misguided.