Xbox 360 the only console to get FFXIII bundles outside Japan, says Microsoft

Thursday, 11th February 2010 23:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii6

Microsoft’s announced Xbox 360 will be the only console that will be bundled with Final Fantasy XIII when it releases in the west next month.

The quote in the press release sent out by the company says:

“The Xbox 360 “FINAL FANTASY XIII” Special Edition Bundle includes a 250GB hard drive, two wireless controllers, exclusive downloadable avatar items and a standard-edition copy of the dramatic sequel in the multimillion-selling series.

Xbox 360 is the only console outside of Japan to be bundled with the game, available in stores starting March 9, while supplies last.

“In addition, a very limited number of “FINAL FANTASY XIII” Limited Edition Faceplates have been created by designer Tetsuya Nomura. These faceplates are only available promotionally in fixed quantities across select retailers in Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand.

Unlucky, PS3 kids.

After being leaked earlier in the week, the bundle was made official tonight, with a $399 price-tag to boot.

1. Psychotext

That answers that question. Smart move really, just a shame that they’re shit.

2. Blerk

Blimey, I wonder how much dosh they dropped on that particular deal?

I also wonder if that suggests that Sony’s picked up the advertising exclusively?

3. The Hindle

FF 13 has a chance of selling more on the 360 now then the Ps3 id say

In the west

4. Blerk

Gamespot have a hands-on with the 360 version.

“However, we noticed at this stage that the movies on the Xbox 360 suffered from more compression than on the PlayStation 3, while the Xbox 360 had an overall crisper image quality in the main game.”

5. zoopdeloop

Seems like Sony is to busy making GoWIII bundles and advertising it in the same month to even care :)

6. zoopdeloop

@4 IGN said a while ago the opposite on their tour bus experience “As expected, the 360 version was noticeably less crisp than its PS3 counterpart, but it still ran nicely.”

I quess they are both lying :P

7. Psychotext

I doubt it’ll be long before we find out. There’s no doubt the PS3 version will have better cutscene (pre-rendered) visuals though.

8. zoopdeloop

Still i’m sure gamespot’s article is biased (an article with X10 event tagged on the back,plus they waited to tell that after the event)while IGN said that a some time ago as soon as they saw both versions on the tour bus.
    We have to see for ourselves…but i’m quessing there actualy isn’t any in game graphical differences

9. Blerk

I’m guessing the article’s tagged with X10 stuff because that’s where they saw the game, zoop! :-D

10. zoopdeloop

I don’t think so Blerk…the event where they played the game had nothing to do with X10

“To ease our collective pain, Square Enix invited us to go hands-on with the final build of the English version on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at a special event in London.”

Then how come they waited to put that article exactly after the X10 event furthermore with “X10 tagged on the back” and using the same “crisp” word IGN used in their preview(in their case in ps3′s favour) weeks ago,coincidence? i don’t think so.Advertising? probably and since it’s probably advertising issue of course the 360 version looks crisper in game ;)

11. onlineatron

Knew MS would put their marketing clout behind this.

Brace yourselves for the invetiable ‘…on Xbox360, from 159.99′ FFXIII ads.

12. tatsujin

I really wanna see who’s gonna win for the west between the PS3 and the 360′s version.

I’m purchasing the PS3′s btw, so are my friends.

13. SilkVG

Wait.. so MS get to decide which console bundle I buy for a game I’ve been waiting for for about 5 years? Erm.. why is that even legal? I want the white ps3 with the ffxIII etchings, and I’ll even pay £500 for it.

Already have a black xbox and 40gig ps3, but I’m a collector, and one of the few people who have followed FF since the SNES games (not NES though).

I find it alarming that they can have a monopoly on this kind of thing.. all it does is take away our right to chose.

I guess I’ll be buying the game solus.. never epxected the white ps3 to get a launch here anyawy – but MS just made the chance of it happening go from slim to “not a chance”. I hate them even more – never thought that was possible.

14. Psychotext

That would be Square. Unless you really think that somehow Microsoft gets to decide what Square do with a game that they both developed and publish.

15. Eregol

TBH I very much doubt that this is going to make people go out in their droves to grab a 360, just because it’s bundled with FFXII.
    I’m pretty sure game will do their own PS3 + FFXIII bundles anyway
    A branded bundle such as this should come with a custom console, but as far as I’ve been made aware, it’s just a bog standard 360.
    Customised face plates will only be available through certain chains.

Yeah, this bundle is something special alright. Lol.

16. Psychotext

Agreed. Especially as there’s f’all special about it.