Only 30% of new WoW players continue after level 10, says Blizzard

Thursday, 11th February 2010 09:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

wow2

Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said last night that only 30 percent of new World of Warcraft players continuing to play after reaching level 10, with 70 percent dropping out.

Speaking in Acti Blizz’s year-end financial call, however, the exec said the upcoming launch of expansion Cataclysm should bring in more “n00bs” to the game.

“Our research shows that trial players who play World of Warcraft pass level 10 are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time. Currently, only about 30 percent of our trial players make it past this threshold. So anything we can do to improve the new player experience is a huge opportunity for us,” he said.

“With Cataclysm we will be overhauling the early gaming experience for players, bringing all of the content in World of Warcraft up to our current design standards and ensuring that even new players to the game will experience the best work of our development team.

“This will also provide additional replay ability for our veterans players as well. In the long run, we hope that this effort will capture more players and drive continued growth. Development on Cataclysm is proceeding smoothly and we’re making great progress due release in the back half of 2010.”

Blizzard reiterated last night Cataclysm would release this year alongside Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty.

Get everything from the Acti-Blizz year-end financials here.

1. loki

not a big surprise

2. Grimrita

Blizzard have created a loot driven economy where you keep having to renew stuff everytime you reach a certain level. YAWN!

I know many people who have quit the game because its just so boring. Same dungeons, different colour, new name – same old grind

3. Gekidami

Still is the best MMO i’ve ever played. I left it ages ago to try other MMO’s but nothings really come close.

4. Eregol

Easily the best MMO for me as well.
    I’ve tried AoC, Aion, LotRO, Warhammer and none of them hold a candle to WoW.
    The lore (even though they’ve bastardised their own stories) dragged me in and kept me going for a long time.

Needless to say, the only people who could better it are Blizzard themselves.

5. Michael O’Connor

“Thats because WOW is crap. Sure it has big numbers but overall, the gameplay is poor. Its just not an engaging game.”

So those 11 million people just have bad taste and are naive of true quality, right? Those people just *think* they’re engaged in the experience, right? They just don’t know any better… right?

“Blizzard have created a loot driven economy where you keep having to renew stuff everytime you reach a certain level.”

You mean like… nearly every single RPG, ever?

Or did you miss the “RPG” part of it?

“I know many people who have quit the game because its just so boring.”

This is of course ignoring the 11 million active subscribers…

6. Blerk

I wonder how many people quit playing but keep paying their subs? :-)

7. XDamage

I played the game for 10 minutes five years ago, so I guess I’m well outside of those percentages. :D

8. Dralen

Now they’ve sorted out “look for group” the game is alot more fun to level. I remember when I was leveling, it was really hard to find a group for the lower level dungeons. Now, you just let the game find a group for you.

9. Grimrita

@ Michael -
    Just because WoW has big numhers, doesnt mean its any good. And I would throw doubt over their numbers.

WoW has done more damage to the genre because other developers have done nothing more than copy its format and for a genre that is still pretty new, its amazing how stale its become.

Sure its a great game if you want to do very little and be reward ‘scratch your arse and get 1000xp’.

There are better MMOs out there that dont have the numbers – like eve for example.

10. Eregol

To be honest it just sounds like you didn’t connect with the game at all, and as such are tarring the whole game with your brief experience.
    I played WoW solidly for at least 4 years, and am now in a raid retirement.
    At the end of the day, no one is forcing any new MMO to copy it what-so-ever, that’s what the developers are doing as they feel it’s what they need to be successful. But what they’re ignoring is the social aspect and making it fun.
    Blizzard know this and it’s why they’ve been successful.

EDIT: Realised it’s been more than 3 years.

11. Droid

It’s like any game, if you play it long enough and give it a chance, you usually get into it. WoW seems like it’s geared for little kids though, and holding their attention is difficult at the best of times. Enough parents wanting to keep their kids quiet longer than a few minutes so it wouldn’t surprise me if they kept their subs going.
    I’m sure swtor will steal a large number of players if it ever comes out though.

12. Grimrita

I played it for 12 months, then for another 12 months on and off because Galaxies was turned into a mess. An example being the last expansion being a lazy rehash of zones already in the game.

Im waiting for SWTOR but that is already heading down the same path as WoW but in a Star Wars frock. Stale I say, stale! ;)

13. Mauller

While I have to somewhat agree with the comment that just because something is popular doesn’t mean it’s good. I mean, Twilight is popular, but it sure as hell isn’t any good. Unless you’re an over moist tween girl. I will say though that I’ve played WoW off and on again since closed beta and it is a fun game. I do get tired of if after a length of time, but then I go back for a few months and have a blast. This can be said of me and pretty much any MMO though. I just can’t keep doing the same stuff over and over. The only MMO that really held my attention for a long time was the original EQ. I sunk years of my life into that damn game. It might have had something to do with the fact that they released an expansion like very 6 months, lol.

14. MushroomStamp

Sounds like a lot of people just checking out what the “buzz” is about then realize how boring and slow paced the game is …

15. NoxNoctisUmbra

11 million users now? So about 3-5 million users reach 20 and beyond, STILL a great number, but WoW is just too fucking overate. If Age of Conan would have as much as publicity, it will and could do better because of mature audience and not some 13 year olds emo kids.