EA Sports president Peter Moore has said last year’s E3 was miles “better” than the 2007 and 2008 versions of the US show.
The event became invite-only in 2007 and 2008, with both events being switched between Santa Monica and LA one year and the next, something the exec wasn’t a fan of back then.
“Those couple of years when we weren’t able to do that [in 2007 and 2008], when we didn’t have the full ‘E3 experience’, they were probably a couple of tough years for the industry, in terms of maintaining its place as a mass-marketing entertainment medium. Now we’re firmly back in the saddle – and the future looks very bright indeed,” he said, talking to CVG.
He added that the event “captured the excitement that the industry’s feeling about three platforms that are competing very aggressively with each other with differing experiences.
“Secondly, it really show the magnitude of who we are versus movies and music, to which we have always had a slight inferiority complex.”
The exec went on to note how late EA tends to leave it when preparing demos and announcements for the extravaganza.
“You would be shocked-slash-horrified to see how close we as publishers get to E3, still not really clear what we’re going to say. So much of this stuff comes together so late: The development teams have to work on demo levels – it’s non-trivial work.”
This year’s E3 takes place at the LACC in Los Angeles between June 14-June 17.
Registration is now open for attendees and media.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.