DFC estimates show Mass Effect 2 outselling other major January releases six-to-one

Wednesday, 10th February 2010 03:17 GMT By Nathan Grayson

masseffecta5

January was chock full of great releases, but who “won” the unusually jam-packed month? Well, you might be tempted to say “gamers,” since our plates were full all month long.

But you’d be wrong. Mass Effect 2 definitely won. No question.

According to a report by DFC Intelligence (as posted on Industry Gamers), BioWare’s galaxy-spanning role-player moved 1,100,000 units in January. Its nearest competitor, Army of Two: The 40th Day, tallied up a comparitively miniscule 175,000. Sorry, boys. No fist-bumps today.

The rest of DFC’s estimates (on the Xbox 360) are as follows:

• Bayonetta: 170,000
  • Blood Bowl: 9,000
  • Dark Void: 22,000
  • Darksiders: 150,000
  • Divinity 2: Eco Draconis: 25,000
  • Vancouver 2010: 8,000

So, what’d you fine folks drop your hard-earned coin on last month?

1. Phoenixblight

Ofcourse. Like any of those titles had a chance.

2. Nathan Grayson

I bet on Divinity II as a huge underdog. Now I don’t have a house anymore :(

3. Michael O’Connor

Nathan: Divinity is bad. Really, really bad: http://pc.rpgsite.net/reviews/228/196/divinity-ii-ego-draconis-review.html

4. Nathan Grayson

I may know that from personal experience :) : http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/213555/divinity-ii-ego-draconis/

5. Michael O’Connor

Hah, I used to write for those guys…. a long, long time ago.

Let me know if they’re ever looking.

6. Nathan Grayson

They had some room in their freelance budget back in December. That’s when I hopped on. Might as well shoot them an email and see if there’s a Michael O’Connor-shaped hole in their hearts that needs filling.

7. Blerk

Ouch. Those Dark Void sales aren’t even going to pay for their Caprica sponsorship adverts!

8. Robo_1

Poor Dark Void. I bought it recently for 20 notes and I’m really rather enjoying it. Nice to see Darksiders and Baynoetta make some sort of dent though.

I completed Darksiders last night and it’s a wonderful game, I really hope there’s a sequel underway.

9. Blerk

Didn’t they say there was going to be a sequel just the other day?

I’m currently playing through it myself and it’s very enjoyable. And it reminds me of Soul Reaver a bit, which automatically makes it a bit awesome.