AvP Special Edition DLC available to all “soon after release”

Wednesday, 10th February 2010 10:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

aliensvspredator6

The four day one DLC maps only available in the Aliens vs Predator Special Edition will be openly available soon, Rebellion told VG247 today, adding that you should “watch this space” for further content.

“Downloadable Content on day one for those who purchase the Special Editions will consist of four brand new multiplayer maps: two new Survivor maps and two for the other multiplayer modes,” said Tim Jones, Rebellion’s head of art and design.

“That will become available to everybody else soon after release. As for post-launch DLC, watch this space.”

The day one maps will be available in both the Hunter and Survivor editions, the former also including a facehugger model and more.

Jones said the special editions were important to fans of the IP.

“There are swathes of people that have waited a very long time for this game and there’s no question they’ll want something to remember it by,” he added.

“The special editions provide that something special. And I think the pre-order numbers we’re seeing demonstrate just how eager people are to get their hands on this game.”

AvP ships next Friday, February 19, for PC, PS3 and 360.

1. SunKing

Tbh, I don’t like what they’re doing with the maps. That content should be in the standard version of the game.

2. NGCes26294BIV

More excuses as to WHY they’re producing day one DLC.

I wish they would just cut the BS and admit that it’s there it brings in extra revenue, and stop pretending that they’re doing it ‘for the fans’.

3. Soong

@2: read it properly before making a comment and drawing conclusions. The comment about ‘doing it for the fans’ refers to the special packaging and the tat that comes with the special edition. Not to the maps specifically because those will be available as DLC to all soon after release – which is clear from the title of the article ;)

I don’t like it either that they use MP maps as part of exclusive content though. I know for a fact that those maps were finished after the game went gold but they should’ve offered the as DLC only, not as special edition content.

4. Bulk Slash

I really wish there was more single player DLC produced. I’m not into MP at all, all these extra maps for multi-player just leave me cold.

5. OlderGamer

First up SP is a dying breed. You know its true, in the years ahead we will be seing less and less focus on SP in games. SP will move more to handhelds and DD games. Some game generas tend to lend themself to favoring MP over SP, surly FPS is the biggest one of them all. I know some would, but I wouldn’t touch a FPS for its SP experience.

Seondly I hate day one DLC or day one dlc that gets held back two weeks to apear as if ti actualy not infact day one dlc.

Time to read the writting on the wall. New games cost between 60usd and 120usd at launch. It depends on the amount of DLC is avalible. I hate it, but in someways it beats have the retail price be 10 – 30usd more at the counter. It save gamers that only want SP from paying more cash for MP options/longevity.

6. SunKing

I don’t agree. There are many games out there that have a heavy focus or their sole focus on single player, and they’ve been highly commercial successful. If we just look at the 360, there’s Fallout 3, GTA 4, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Fable 2.

Single player games offer a qualitatively different experience compared to multiplayer focused titles. I don’t think people want to let that go quite yet.

7. Bulk Slash

@5 Yeah but what about gamers who want to pay for SP content for options/longevity?

I don’t think single player is a dying breed, barely half of the Xbox 360′s install base is on Live and it’s probably only half that number with Gold accounts. Xbox Live is pretty much the most popular MP service, but if 3/4 of that userbase aren’t on it, I can’t see single player dying any time soon.

I think it’s more the case that Gold subscribers are more likely to buy content and it’s easy to chuck out a few maps than to produce single player DLC with all the voice work, level scripting, programming and NPC assets needed.

8. SunKing

@Bulk Slash

I think it’s closer to around 20 million regular LIVE users (counting both gold and silver memberships) relative to 30 million total consoles sold. So that makes about two-thirds of the user base online; although, 10 million offline users is not something you want to ignore.

Either way, I don’t think it’s possible to make any conclusive remarks about how this is going to go. This is the first generation of consoles where online multiplayer has really been an option, so we won’t know for sure until at least one more generation, where, presumably, almost everyone will be online.

In other words, what I said in my previous post could be completely incorrect, but I hope not. :)

9. OlderGamer

Some semi jumbled thoughts:

GTA, Bioshock, and Fable are all either sporting online play right now or are getting online play in the future.

Millions of currency is made from said “easy to chuck out (MP) maps”. However extran SP content is often held onto and put towards a sequel or spin off. Be it UC or a FF. Sometimes stuff like Fallout3 gets some nice SP conetnt that truely does extend the game. Nice to see, but rare.

“Either way, I don’t think it’s possible to make any conclusive remarks about how this is going to go.”

Correct, no true way to know, but guessing is fun.

“This is the first generation of consoles where online multiplayer has really been an option,”

I have noticed that our friends across the pond as it where, differ a bit on the importance of online. Here in the states, i know gamers that won’t touch a title unless it has acceptable online MP. I know very few that hold the samething true for SP. Seems the opeset could be said of gamers in eru and UK. Maybe its the quality differences of ISPs, maybe its all of that rain, idk lol but its something I have noticed. As with everything someone somewhere is going to the exception and not the rule. Of course.

The video game industry is full of “Metoos” and with year after year the top sellers being MP games, we aren’t going to suddenly see a change anytime soon. Expect more CoD, More Halo, and more games trying to be just like them.

I noticed that most of XB top rated offerings are MP focused, while most of PS top offerings have a heavy dose of SP. Most Multiplatform top offerings are split between SP and MP.

All that needs to happen is for one game to come along and knock everyone for a loop and seet off a wave of MeeToos, and everything changes. That might be the Darksiders/GoW/Bayenetta/DMC/Dante style of game on the horizen. Who knows.

10. RGW1982

“Wrong, unless you have always been a Sony gamer. I have been on LIVE for 6 years. Played on XBone, even played on Dreamcast Online. And truth be said, been playing online with a PC for years.”

You’re Wrong As Well, Plenty PS2 Gamers Have Been Playing Online For Years, Even Before You Owned A X-Box, So It’s Not “Unless You’ve Been A SONY Gamer”, As The PS2 Had Accessable Online Since Day 1 (If You Had A Ethernet Cord Converter That Hooked To The Front Of The Fat PS2′s Like One Of My Friends Did) So With The PS2 Being Out Longer Then The X-Box, SONY Gamers Technically Have Had Online Longer Then The X-Box.. & With SONY The Online Was Still FREE! XD

Check Your Facts. ;)

11. G1GAHURTZ

I SAID STOP CAPITALISING YOUR LETTERS, PUNK!!!!!!

12. RGW1982

Or What? You Can’t Do Shit About It So Until You Can, Shut The Fuck Up Fag.

13. G1GAHURTZ

You are gay. HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. RGW1982

Is That The Best You Got? What Are You 12?

15. OlderGamer

I have played several games on the PS2 online. From Socom to Everquest Online Adventures. But as where one or two Sony games here and there went online, XB games pushed for it. And Sony only offered online AFTER the Dreamcast already had several games online. On the DC I played PSO, 2K sports, Unreal, Quake and more. I can even go further back then that I used to play on the Sega Channel on the Sega Gen/MegaDrive. Sony didn’t lead the movement for online console gaming. they went along with it, reluctantly at first and now embrace it.

I am sorry Shatner, err RGW, did you have a point in there somewhere? Or at least anything interesting to add? Fun to read, even?

Oh, sorry.

16. Hunam

I just don’t get how you can tell him he can’t do anything about it then tell him to shut the fuck up, because, clearly, you can’t make him do anything either.

To be honest though, it does make reading anything you post quite difficult, so even if you did have something worth saying I wouldn’t be able to read it.

17. G1GAHURTZ

I haven’t read a single one of his posts.

I get through the first few words, then realise that this guy must be an ULTRA RETARD, so I stop.

Only someone totally BRAINLESS writes loads of comments for people to read in a way that puts people off reading them.

18. G1GAHURTZ

I am sorry Shatner, err RGW, did you have a point in there somewhere?

Yeah, tbh, I think this is probably Shatner as well.

Same nutcase like symptoms.

19. Hunam

Who knows tbh. He gets quite angry if people point out his lack of ability with the english language which is odd, because typing like that is probably twice the work of typing as normal.

I blame schools personally.

20. OlderGamer

I blame Gov cut backs for letting him and other inpatients out early.

Keep the asylums running!!

21. RGW1982

I Never Said SONY Lead The Way (What Were You Reading?) I Know SEGA Is The Main Reason We Play Online Today, The Dreamcast Was The First Real Console To Successfully Bring Online To Console Gaming, But The PS2 Having Online Day 1 Is Hardly “Reluctantly At First”, You Might Like Making Up Stuff In Your Head But In Reality PS2 Came Out What? A Year Or 2 After The Dreamcast, So Of Course SEGA Had Online Games By That Point, Duh.. Just Like The PS2 Had Online Games Before The X-Box Came Out, Now Go Back To My Last Comment Read What I Typed & Try Again, My Comment Has To Do With The Stupidity Of This Statement: “Wrong, unless you have always been a Sony gamer” Which In Fact Is An Entirely False Statement As The PS2 Had Online Day 1.

22. G1GAHURTZ

Wow!

What a mess of gibberish.

Surely no-one is actually going to read that??

23. Hunam

I think my eyes are bleeding.

24. G1GAHURTZ

@ 19:

lol. Yeah, I was thinking about that.

He must be writing in some sort of program that gives you the option to capitalise, then copying and pasting.

Which seems to suggest that he somehow thinks that he’s actually doing something that’s going to earn him some sort of credibility…

Oh, the irony.

25. RGW1982

Hate All You Fags Want Because I’m Right, I Don’t Care.. Attack Me If It Makes You Feel Like A Big Man, Go On..

26. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry, I don’t read retard language.

I got to the word “You“, then stopped.

I’m sure whatever you said was totally retarded *ahem* nice, but you’ll need to be slightly more sane if you want people to take you seriously.

27. Hunam

Right about what? The English language? Because I’m pretty sure* you’re not.

* absolutely certain

28. RGW1982

Anything Else You Little Kids Want To Add? Don’t Be Afraid To Let It All Out.. BTW It’s Not My Fault You Can’t Read, I Didn’t Make You Under Educated, Your Government Did.. Everything Is Spelled Correctly. ;)

Maybe One Day You Kids Will Grow Up & Have A Real Life Outside The Internet.

29. OlderGamer

What is this Real Life he is talking about?

Whats an Internet, I am afriad I just don’t understand. Maybe I need to grow up, then it will make more sense.

30. Hunam

Heh, obvious he’s just doing it for the trolls. Best if we just ignore him tbh.

31. G1GAHURTZ

@ OG: lol.

@ Hunam: I agree.

32. RGW1982

That’s It? That’s All You Got Oldergamer? No Argument About The Topic At Hand? Just Some Childish Antics Like These Two Kids? Yeah That’s What I Thought.

33. DaMan

Shatner, is that really you again?

34. DaMan

so yes then. oh well.

35. Shatner

What On Earth Are You Wittering On About?

36. RGW1982

Apparently I’m You… LOL

37. Shatner

Really? Last I heard, blackdreamhunk was me.

You’ll have to wait. Sorry.

38. RGW1982

OK, I’ll Wait..

39. Gekidami

Theres abit of Shatner in all of us. :D

40. onlineatron

I HOPE NOT!

Last time I had a bit of someone inside me I got herpes…

41. onlineatron

I mean, errr… How juvenile.

42. RGW1982

@ 4

2 Of The 4 Maps Are For Co-Op (Survival Mode)

Survival Mode Will Indeed Be The Best Online Mode, The Other 2 Maps Are For The Main Multiplayer Aspect Of The Game, Which AvP’s Multiplayer Isn’t The Greatest.. I Do Agree That Some Single Player DLC Would Be Great Though.