New Assassin’s Creed set in Rome, will have assassination multiplay

Tuesday, 9th February 2010 17:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

asscreed2a

Ubisoft has said that assassination multiplayer will be included in the new Assassin’s Creed game.

Ubisoft said in its Q3 investors call today that the game would see Ezio striking the Templars at their headquarters in Rome.

It would also include what Ubi called “innovative” multiplayer, where players can participate in an assassination mode against friends online.

Further information would not be revealed on the multiplayer, but Ubi said that the general rule for new releases is that each will contain cooperative multiplayer and as far as Assassin’s Creed was concerned, Ubi would not comment on whether it would be a yearly title, but that it will continue to support the franchise.

Last month, Ubisoft said a new AC game was on the way with mutliplayer.

After initial confusion, the firm confirmed to us the game does not tie into the recent DLC for Assassin’s Creed II.

Ubi then said ACII’s Ezio would return to the title as protagonist after it was revealed the title was a continuation of the second game’s plot.

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot also said today that Assassin’s Creed II has now sold more than 8 million units.

1. The Hindle

Any news on BG&E 2 by any chance?

2. AHA-Lambda

well that sounds kinda cool actually :)

3. Goliath

You know, I feel like all these publishers, save Sony, aren’t making great games. They’re trying to hit bullet point items of what they think consumers want and they’re failing miserably at it. I don’t want muliplayer in an Assassin’s Creed title. It just doesn’t make sense.

4. SplatteredHouse

In the end, there can only be one? Seconded request to go ask Ubi about BG&E 2.

5. onlineatron

I don’t like this one bit.

I don’t want to play as Ezio again… his purpose was served (training Desmond and delivering the final message)… I want a new character.

I also don’t want to be in the same setting. Yes I enjoyed rennasience (sp?) Italy… But I’d like the franchise to continue to switch locations and time periods.

6. AHA-Lambda

If we go ezio again I want to go older ezio with the beard :) otherwise i’ll be unimpressed :|

BTW this better not be this year there are already too many damn games coming out.

7. The Benny

How did they refer to the game, Assassin’s Creed 3? Or do we still need to be using “the next Assassin’s Creed”?

8. AHA-Lambda

I think we are still calling it next AC.

Bit like fallout new vegas and vice city, it’s not a numbered sequel even though it seems like it :|

9. Gekidami

Anyone notice that despite the game happening over the course of about 23 years the only sign of ageing on Enzio is that he grows a beard? And other characters dont seem to age at all…

10. onlineatron

Assassin’s Creed: Rome City

11. onlineatron

@Gek

I thought it was 10years… and I think he did look taller and bulkier (but that could have just been armour).

12. Patrick Garratt

OK, edited up. That should be finished now.

13. onlineatron

Assassin’s Creed: San Antonio

14. Gekidami

No, its about 23 years, Enzio is 17 (when you first play as him) in 1476 and the last mission happens in 1499. As far as i could see he barely changes and neither does anyone else despite them being older, at ages where 20 odd years being added would make some noticable differences to their appearances.

Ofcourse i’m hardly going to slam the game for a lack of detail, after all this is the game where walking around in normal clothes at the start has guards still referring to you as wearing your assassin gear. They also consider you walking into a restricted area as being on a roof even if you’re on the ground.

15. onlineatron

Fair play

16. Bulk Slash

Well that’s a quick and easy way to avoid having to make new main characters, NPCs and have plenty of textures and buildings you can re-use.

I guess this means the Assassin’s Creed “trilogy” will now consist of 3.5 parts. I really enjoyed AC2, it was probably my favourite game last year, but I don’t want rushed annual sequels that don’t progress the story or change up the location. I’m not interested in MP in Assassin’s Creed either.

17. The Hindle

Rome wasnt built in a day

Ubisoft sequels on the other hand

18. The Benny

Assassin’s Creed: a trilogy in four parts.

19. DaMan

I’m sick of these Ass games, wish they would make something different. like, a new BG&E.

20. FeaturePreacher

I for one will be interested to see what will be done with the multiplayer. Hopefully the combat will be expanded and more precise. Also, platforming maneuvers could be expanded as well.

21. joshua nash

dear lord please let this be a expansion of the second game like AC: bloodlines was for AC1

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Rome…again? Ezio….again?

Bad idea Ubisoft. I second comment #5.

23. hitnrun

+1 to all pithy one liners :)

I’m really tired of the game development philosophy illustrated here. Is it really such bad business to support the development of a franchise over a long period, rather than just detonating the property in one last orgy of money and turned-off customers?

For that matter, is it really hard to come up with new ideas? You know who’s as cool as Assassins? Ninjas. Ninjas are awesome. Make a game about Ninjas. You can do that while the AC team makes an entire sequel.

24. The Juice707

Well I think the consensus agrees… Ubisoft, this sounds like a very poor idea. Is it really worth it? Let’s hope so, otherwise you are just hurting your own triple-A franchise.

25. marvel2000

didnt they say that it would take place in WW1 AND there is gonna be some hot staff like chicks

26. The Benny

I think they said they liked the idea of a female assassin and that kind of setting, but that nothing had been decided. That was for Assassin’s Creed 3 though, which this possibly isn’t.

27. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Games 1 and 2 were in the past. I still say AC3 should take place in the future (or Desmonds present).