Kitase and Toriyama feel FFXIII will resurrect Japanese game industry

Tuesday, 9th February 2010 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ffxiii3

During a chat with with the EU PS Blog, FFXIII’s Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama revealed that the game may help “resurrect” the Japanese game industry.

“Some people have been saying that the Japanese game industry is dead, and all that… I dunno,” was the reply. “I will say that Final Fantasy XIII is one really epic title for high definition consoles. With this game, we are going to resurrect the whole thing”.

Going on to cite the Call of Duty Series as a Western game that has influenced the team, Kitase and Toriyama revealed that God of War style-remakes of previous Final Fantasy titles are unlikely.

During the same interview, the duo clarified comments made by Square president Yoichi Wada’s on the future of the RPG series, stating that his comment was taken out of context.

The game’s out in one month for PS3 and Xbox 360. Start planning for the future now, kiddos.

1. Psychotext

Umm… why would it?

2. onlineatron

Really?!
    Call me cynical but I really do not think it looks any better than the usual Japanese tat…

3. sebbie16

I think the way the game is going to “resurrect” it is the fact the the game is crap from a AAA company and everybody will make a better game.

4. Scyrenn

Seriously, is it March yet?! Goddamnit…

Maybe then I’d feel like I could actually make a useful comment about this game…

5. Retroid

My only reaction to them saying that is: ORLY?

6. Bulk Slash

This just in from Kitase: FFXIII will cure cancer!

7. NoxNoctisUmbra

full of crap.. that game is only a 70% out of 100% its just a roller coaster ride.. might as well be just a mindless ACTION GAME.. FAIL .. WHite Knights is much better… DEMONS SOULS is way better then FFXIII…
    Unless they make FXIII Versus be a good one

8. Gekidami

His comment on the GoW Collection is funny; As he has no idea what it is and just tries to guess he comes to the conclusion that its some sort of remade version. So he states that remaking any of the old FF games would be to hard because there are more characters.

9. MushroomStamp

Japanese arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

10. Aimless

“Stop it surprised me that Japanese are not arrogant.”

That, MushroomStamp, is your comment translated into Japanese and back again via Google. Now I would hope the translator involved in this interview would be rather more reliable, but I feel the above demonstrates how a lot can be lost in translation.