Lego Star Wars III announced for autumn

Monday, 8th February 2010 14:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Lego Star Wars

Activision’s announced Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars for a release this autumn for PS3, 360, Wii, PSP and DS.

The game takes place during the first seasons of the animated series, with characters from both series’ and the previous LSW titles.

“The LEGO Star Wars franchise is a massive hit with fans, bringing in sales of over 20 million units worldwide. We’re thrilled to extend this experience to LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, delivering the humour and fun players expect from this award winning franchise,” said Darell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts.

“LucasArts is an amazing partner, and working with them on the next iteration of the LEGO Star Wars series continues to be a great experience,” said director at TT, Tom Stone.

Full PR below.

*LucasArts and TT Games Bring Back the Award-Winning LEGO^® /Star Wars™/ Series with LEGO^® /Star Wars/^™ / III The Clone Wars/^™ / /*

LONDON, UK – 8^th February, 2010 – LucasArts and TT Games today announced the development of LEGO^® / Star Wars/™/ III: The Clone Wars/^™ /./ The next chapter in the award-winning LEGO^® / Star Wars/ videogame franchise, LEGO^® / Star Wars III: The Clone Wars/ will combine the best elements of all previous LEGO^® games while adding brand new gameplay to make it the most action-packed LEGO^® videogame to date. Developed by the same team at Traveller’s Tales that created the critically acclaimed LEGO^® / Star Wars/ and/ /LEGO^® / Indiana Jones™ /series, the game will ship on the Wii™, Nintendo DS™, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and Xbox 360^® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows in the Autumn of 2010.

“LucasArts continues to set the bar for next-generation family entertainment,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “The LEGO^® / Star Wars/ franchise is a massive hit with fans, bringing in sales of over 20 million units worldwide. We’re thrilled to extend this experience to LEGO^® / Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, /delivering the humour and fun players expect from this award winning franchise.”

“LucasArts is an amazing partner, and working with them on the next iteration of the LEGO^® / Star Wars/ series continues to be a great experience,” said Tom Stone, director at TT Games. “The team at TT is working hard at making this simply the best LEGO^® game ever with all new gameplay and features never before seen in a LEGO^® game.”

LEGO^® / Star Wars III: The Clone Wars/ will include all the characters from both seasons of the hugely popular animated television series, /Star Wars: The Clone Wars,/ as well as some fan-favourite characters from the beloved theatrical /Star Wars/ Saga. The game will feature brand new battle modes, giving players unique, head-to-head combat and an upgraded level builder, allowing the creation of customized bases and in-game battlefields. Play either as a Jedi or Separatist with all-new character abilities, such as Squad command, Lightsaber slicing, Lightsaber jumps, long distance Jedi attacks and Grapple Tie-Ups, all within a new, easy-to-navigate hub.

For more information on LEGO^® / Star Wars III: The Clone Wars/ please visit www.legostarwars.com <http://www.legostarwars.com/>_.

1. Blerk

Another one that my kids will go mad for! And I will definitely not play. No. Never.

/secretly giddy

2. mington

star wars has a ripped bleeding gapping arse hole

i was thinking this yesterday whilst playing mass effect 2 (not about starwars being bum raped but….)

if you was given the choice of what game bioware would make next between KOTOR3 or Mass effect 3

in my mind mass effect wins though, i believe they’ve created a universe thats better then star wars

what i think i’m trying to say is, i’d rather kill a krogan then a bothan any day

3. Mauller

@mington

I was just mentioning the other day that in truth, I have enjoyed the Mass Effect universe more than the Star Wars universe. It was hard for me to say considering I have quite a bit of Star Wars paraphernalia around my home, about 30 novels, and every movie. I’d gladly welcome ME3 before KOTOR3 at this point, and I never thought that I would say that.

On another note though, the Lego games are ridiculously fun and I can’t wait for this one.

4. Blerk

So… Lego Mass Effect, yes? Would be awesomes!

5. mington

fuck me that would be awesome!

i can already imagine, the little turien lego heads

6. Tonka

I thought the first LEGO star wash games were rubbish. BAd handling, annoying platforming, cheap graphics. Can’t see why people got worked up about them.

(Well other than the sexy combo of LEGO and Star Wars)

7. onlineatron

Why can’t Activision understand?
    Lego games only work when the source material is memorable and originally quite serious.

It’s why Batman didn’t work as it wasn’t based on any pericular film and its why the first Lego Star Wars worked splendidly.

No one and I mean no one, not even kids, care for the Clone Wars material… So this game will suck.

Harry Potter could be interesting though :)

8. JonFE

This is getting a bit ridiculous don’t you think?

It’s OK to Lego-fy new IP like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings (if they ever go for the later), but to revisit Star Wars for a third time (or fourth actually, if you count the previous generation original) is like too much franchise-milking for me…

9. The Hindle

oh yes imagine the Mass Effect sex scenes in Lego, would be pretty warped come to think of it

10. Blerk

My kids like Clone Wars, onlineatron. In fact I’ll quite happily sit and watch it with them too if I’m not doing anything else.

The thing to understand with things like Lego Star Wars is that there’s absolutely a market for them even if we don’t particularly understand. Both of the original Lego Star Wars games still get played at least once a week in my household because kids don’t tire of things like adults too. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve played each and every level on the first two, so for me a third instalment is a blessing – it might be more of the same, but as far as the kids are concerned a set of fresh levels is all they wanted.

11. The Hindle

As good as Mass Effect 2 none of the characters come close to HK 47, hes just a legend

12. mington

true, HK47 ruled. i miss being called a meat bag

13. onlineatron

@blerk

Really?!

Sorry, shouldn’t have assumed… just me and my three brothers (one older two younger) watched the film christmas morning and we all despised it… The animation was horrid, voice acting wooden and plot ridiculously tame.

14. onlineatron

@The Hindle

I’m not sure if any of the ME2 characters come close to him but I’d make a strong case for Wrex in ME.

15. Yoshi

“The LEGO Star Wars franchise is a massive hit with fans, bringing in sales of over 20 million units worldwide. We’re thrilled to milk the franchise until our hearts content”

XD

16. Bulk Slash

They should try something more off-beat like Lego Knights of the Old Republic or Lego Jedi Knight.

17. Mauller

@onlineatron

The Clone Wars series is actually quite good in my opinion. I enjoyed the music and the characters. Well, more the clone personalities than the main characters. The movie, I really didn’t enjoy.

18. OlderGamer

Lego + World of Warcraft on PS3/xb360

Wait for it.

19. Yoshi

Lego + GTA… Ohhh i can only dream lol
    That would be awesome with destruction XD

20. M337ING

You guys forgot to list the PC version.