GI nukes AvP with 5.75/10 – just to be sure

Monday, 8th February 2010 19:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

aliensvspredator54

If the first Aliens Vs Predator review’s a sign of things to come, Rebellion had best be dug in like an Alabama tick for the next few weeks.

Game Informer’s given the shooter a tooth-sucking 5.75/10, saying, “We have a title trying to live off the fumes of two dormant franchises.”

You can read a scan here, and see Game Rankings has now updated (thanks, mington).

Rebellion’s having a rough time of launching, it seems. Last week’s multiplayer demo – on PC and PS3, at least – came unstuck with long waiting times for matchmaking, forcing the developer to apologise.

Whatever happens from this point in, it won’t be Sega’s fault – the PR team’s been pumping out more movies than a Bollywood speed festival in recent weeks. There really have been too many to post.

Jesse Ventura didn’t have time to bleed; let’s hope the same applies to all involved here.

The game’s out on February 19 for PC, 360 and PS3.

1. Gheritt White

I bet you that at least half the readers of this site don’t get the “just to be sure” reference there, Pat.

I think we could be in for some chop.

2. JesteR

The whole AvP fanchise is just crap. Either make an alien game / movie or a predator game / movie.

3. El_MUERkO

It looked crap at the EG Expo so I’m not too surprised.

4. jamjam

Um, the reviewer slags it off for the Alien being able to walk on walls. Think I might wait for another review or two.

Also, appears the game has some fans – check out the comments on the reviewers profile: http://gameinformer.com/members/GIBen/default.aspx

5. RGW1982

LOL, The Funny Part Is There’s A Lot More Wrong With The Game Then They Brought Up In The Review, They Serioursly Over Looked A Lot Of Faults With The Multiplayer, Now I Bet If They Noticed All Those Flaws As Well The Game Would Have Been Scored As Low As “Legendary” Was.

6. G1GAHURTZ

STOP CAPITALISING ALL YOUR WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. RGW1982

Or What Bitch? What The Fuck You Gonna Do About?… That’s Right NOTHING, Now STFU.

8. M2Kx

lol Jester, have you even played the first two AVP games? pure fun @ lan!

9. Dannybuoy

5.75 iS a prettY loW scorE. I wondeR whY it’S noT verY gooD ;-)

10. Dralen

The multiplayer is crap, so I’m not surprised it got such a poor review.

11. OlderGamer

I don’t need a game review to tell me anything about this one. I played the demo and loved it. I don’t personlay know thousands of gamers in the real world, but the ones I do have also played and enjoyed the game.

Sometimes game reviewers are like movie critics. They look at all of the wrong things to pass their judgement. This game is not perfect. But it is fun. and based on needing a good dose of fun, I will be buying this and playing it.

12. Gekidami

I liked the demo myself, it had some stuff i didnt like (mainly balancing issues) but overall it was sound.

Though that dosnt really tell me much about the campaign and hearing that the IA is poor is sort of putting me off. Think i’ll wait for more reviews before picking up my preorder.

13. OlderGamer

The biggest thing I would like to know about the game is the other MP modes. I think the standard deathmatch stuff was stale. And the fact that you could kill members of the same race stunk too. But if the game promotes team play, and those teams have varying numbers, it could well balance out any balancing issues. But I think that the MP questions still needing answering are where it is at.

As for AI? I don’t care if they are steller or not. So long as they aren’t gonna get stuck on objects, walk into walls, not shoot you, or are impossible to kill etc. No AI is going to be as good as a human player(mostly). So I don’t worry about that. So long as the game isn’t too hard in SP, I think it will be cool.

14. The_Deleted

But the Xenomorph does walk on walls…
    I’m still hopeful this game will kick ass. Can’t be worse than Concrete Jungle.

15. Gekidami

Well unlike some people i actually still buy games for SP and expect it to be good and a decent challenge. The main event, over MP even. Especially when the MP dosnt really have anything to motivate me to keep pushing on, sure the game has exp and levels but in the end they dont give you anything like unlocks or the like.

I was already abit concerned about the AI when i saw THIS video. The Xenomorphs look sleepy, they barely attack. You can tell the guy playing is taking it easy and letting himself get hit to raise tension.

16. G1GAHURTZ

@ 7:

If you do it again, it means that you’re gay.

17. Filofax

So the multiplayer is the be all and end all of the game then? some people do buy their games for single player.

18. BabyJesus

Couldn’t care less about the MP for this, I’ve already got Battlefield coming in a few weeks to satisfy that urge.

If the SP is decent,sold. If not, bargain bin.

19. kayuza

sadly, Quake 4 looks better than this visually

20. Gekidami

I’ve seen alot of people saying that they dont like the demo and the only reason they give is visuals. Seriously, gfx dont make a game. It helps, sure. But its not the most important thing.

They arent outlandishly bad, the gfx are more then acceptable anyway.

21. Bleak Harvest

I officially love Patrick for that Blain reference.

22. The Hindle

The demo was dam right unplayable

23. G1GAHURTZ

I heard that the demo was pants.

24. The Hindle

It is Giga, AVP was going to be the next game i bought after ME 2 but no way now ill wait for Heavy Rain.

25. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I haven’t tried it myself, but I was going to DL it to see just how bad it was.

I think I’ll save the bandwidth now.

26. Bulk Slash

I’ve tried the MP demo and I thought it looked pretty good, very faithful to the Aliens universe and everything seemed to work the way I’d expect it to in an Aliens game. I know there’s Predator stuff in there too, but it’s the single player Colonial Marines campaign I’m most interested in. Every trailer and gameplay video I’ve seen has only made me more excited to get the game.

I’m not really bothered by GI’s review, I’ve found the only places for reviews that are usually in tune with my tastes these days are Eurogamer and Yahtzee.

27. Blerk

Yowch. That score’s gotta hurt. Even if it turns out to be one of the lower ones, it doesn’t much sound like it’ll be pulling 8s and 9s from everyone else.

28. RGW1982

@ 20

The Graphics Are Fine, The Game Play Is What’s Lacking..

Also Why Can Aliens Go Invisible Like The Predator?
    Why Can Humans See Aliens (When The Alien’s Invisible) Through Walls?
    Why Is The Predator’s Invisibility Way Too Easy To See?
    Why Is The Instant Kill (Grabs) So Glitchy?

Graphics Is The Least Of My Worries, Not To Mention The Demo Is Running Off An Old Build So I Don’t See How Someone Can Even Complain About The Graphics Really, As It’s Not The Final Build Of The Game.

29. The Juice707

@ RGW1982

I was just going to formally announce that I am starting a feud against you (anyone else is welcome to pick sides). Nothing I have seen you post has any real credibility and more times than not, sounds retarded. As I told you earlier, GTFO!

30. RGW1982

Jucie You’re A Fag, Everything I Posted Is In The Demo So STFU Homo.

31. The Juice707

I posted some words without big letters… are you unable to? And I am glad you aren’t concerned with the graphics. I also wasn’t- Mainly because I didn’t have any interest to begin with.

32. RGW1982

Well Aliens Vs Predator Isn’t Really A Gay Mans Kind Of Game Is It? You’d Probably Be More Interested In EyePet 2 Or The Sims 3, Those Are More Suited To A Fag Like Yourself, No?

33. The Juice707

Actually I am pretty into the n00bish kiddy game known as Modern Warfare 2. I love everything about it, especially the “big hit boxes”. Suits me well, right? I have racked up over 4 days on the multiplayer and just love it. Now… do what you do! Bash me! Tear me apart! Call me a FAG! Dumbass.

34. RGW1982

Figures.. I Guess You Really Hate Me For Telling You How It’s For Little Kids Huh?.. Must Have Hit A Sore Spot There, By The Way Dumb Ass Is 2 Words Not One, My Grammar May Not Be Up To Your Standards But At Least I Can Spell Correctly.

35. The Juice707

It only deserves to be one when I am using it as a defining word for you. Come on, let’s keep this going. Maybe you can find another error in this post, and then I will count each of your words as an error in your post. Then we can compare :)

36. RGW1982

Good Luck Finding Spelling Errors, Dumb Ass. (See 2 Words Not 1, Only A Dumb Ass Would Spell Dumb Ass Wrong) XD

37. The Juice707

Haha. Ok, let’s get this back to AvP now.

38. Michael O’Connor

“Only a Dumb Ass Would Spell Dumb Ass Wrong)

Dumbass Is One Word, Dumbass.

39. RGW1982

Dumb Ass Is Two Words, Pick Up A Book Dumb Ass.

40. Michael O’Connor

Last time I checked, the word wasn’t in the dictionary.

But as a slang-term, it has *always* been spelt as one word… dumbass.

41. RGW1982

It’s Not In The Dictionary Because It’s Two Words Dumb Ass, Do You Like Looking Stupid Or Something?

42. Michael O’Connor

Compared to you? Not difficult.

43. RGW1982

Yes, Compared To Me It Must Be Real Easy For You To Look Stupid.

Just Remember You Can’t Spell Dumb Ass Correctly.

44. Michael O’Connor

And you can’t type properly. Your point?

45. RGW1982

That I Can Still Spell Correctly & You Can’t.

46. Michael O’Connor

I take back what I said. I’d rather have TEA over you any day. Dear god.

47. The Juice707

Can we just ban this guy already?

48. Michael O’Connor

Being a moron isn’t a bannable offence.

49. Hero of Canton

More’s the pity.

50. mington

RGW1982 is a stupid donkey

51. RGW1982

@ 48

I Guess That’s A Good Thing For You Then, Or You’d Have Been Banned Ages Ago. ;)

52. scratchy69

Jesus, who is this RGW cunt?

53. Captain Fruitloop

“Rebellion had best be dug in like an Alabama tick for the next few weeks.”

They can always hide in the same foxholes left over from the releases of Shellshock 2 and Rogue Warrior.

54. RGW1982

@ 52

Who’s This Scratchy69 Fag?