EA to the Middle East: No Dante’s Inferno for you!

Monday, 8th February 2010 02:27 GMT By Nathan Grayson

dantesinferno41

Dante’s Inferno has been a brazen controversy magnet over the course what could only be described as its promotional rollercoaster ride - and not for lack of trying, either.

That, however, hasn’t stopped EA from exercising uncharacteristic levels of caution where the Middle East is concerned.

“Electronic Arts has decided not to release Dante’s Inferno in the Middle East after an evaluation process which is based on consumer tastes, preferences, platform mix and other factors,” said a statement from the publisher, as reported by GamesLatest.

EA’s actions aren’t without precedent, either. God of War was banned in the Middle East for – among other things – having the word “God” in its title, while Darksiders was recently shown the door due to its touchy subject matter.

More through the link.

Thanks, DaMan.

1. AEA360

all developers must develop a game that respects all religions, specially Islam.

2. Phoenixblight

@1 I assume sarcasm there. No wonder they are always pissed off :P

3. GitForceGemini

Even so, I’m guessing you won’t encounter Prophet Muhammad in Hell like in the poem.

4. Arnysyas

@3 If the game quoted from a poem -or anything else- that offense our religion we will banned it here in Saudi Arabia and I think EA wanted to “safe their faces water” so they decided to banned it before we banned it …

5. onlineatron

They should have just censored the game… You know, taken all that Hell nonsense out.

6. The Hindle

Yea just dont put Mohammed as a cartoon those crazy muslims get pissed when that happens

7. mington

@hindle
    hey! not all muslims are crazy, but they are all terrorists

8. The Hindle

:) its a well known fact the Taliban have 3 strongholds Pakistan, Aghanistan and Blackburn

9. Scyrenn

Every organized religion is a form of terrorism… :)

10. mington

oh god what have i started, forgive me ganesh

ganesh rules! ganesh could beat your god any day

11. onlineatron

I dunno… my scientology aliens are pretty bitching!

12. mington

ganesh vs tom cruise
    thats a celebrity death match i’d like to see

13. The Hindle

All these different religions why cant everyone be a jedi the force is the only religion worth following :)

14. mington

you will succumb to the darkside

i’m a jedi on facebook….does that count

15. Scyrenn

Really? I’m some sort of Mafia Vampire on facebook… :)

And wasn’t Ganesh just Homer Simpson in a suit? And Homer is just some guy named Dan doing a voice… Religion’s complicated!

16. mington

do mafia vampires drink ragu?

17. onlineatron

@Scy

Way to belittle the hindu faith :P

@mington

Ha! :D
    I believe they do

18. blackdreamhunk

I will not say they are all crazy, I am going to say some of them are crazy.

I don’t blame them I blame people who try to under stand god but don’t. they are all untruthful.

reglion and wars

19. mington

don’t you mean Lairs

people who try to understand god are campers?

Li´er (lī´ẽr)
    One who lies down; one who rests or remains, as in concealment.
    There were liers in a ambush against him.
    - Josh. viii.

20. Psychotext

One who lies down; one who rests or remains, as in concealment.

21. Psychotext

Fuck me mington… that’s scary. lol

22. mington

great minds think alike, thats why nobody else thinks like blackdreamhunk…he’s beyond greatness

23. onlineatron

And here we go… :P

24. blackdreamhunk

meh to be honest it does not bug me at all this is just the internet after all

ok how about untruthful,liars,lier you get my point

for every problem in the world there is a master mind behind that is untruthful and stir the people for the own gain.

see this video this how the elite see you, the movie hackers made in 1995 says it all

your avage person only cares about food and shelter

must normaly people only want to live a good life.

25. GwynbleiddiuM

LoL@middle-east. I’m middle-eastern myself, but religiousness tends to make people ridiculously stupid. They need to realize that they don’t speak for god, and not everything made to offend Islam. XD

26. blackdreamhunk

I will let you people in on little secerit

I maybe the worse speller in the world but I am more lighten and powerful than these

27. Psychotext

/giggles

28. mington

i believe!

29. Gekidami

Crazy.

30. onlineatron

I’ve just lost the plot here… What is BDH trying to prove now?

31. Gekidami

That he’s ape-shit insane.

32. mington

and bat-shit crazy all rolled into one, that’s quite a potent combination

33. blackdreamhunk

lol good I am glade we can clear this up. We don’t want any more hate going on. The world is full of hate as it is. I am now going to go enjoy my day. Man alot of people are slow these days. ;)

oh one more thing everything i said is very much sane. it’s not my fault you lack the under standing to figure things out. lol

like I said ,I am little more lighten than must people lol

34. mington

i don’t hate you, in fact i think we should be friends, whats your gamertag….oh wait

35. blackdreamhunk

lol now that is smart mington my gamer tag is blackdreamhunk must of the time. lol

I am talking about world hate, not me hate.

36. onlineatron

I don’t think he got it :D

37. Eregol

Loving the casual racism in here.

If I had known this was going on I would have posted long ago.

Lets face it, EA were never going to release this in the middle east. Due to the subject matter.
    Good to see something was learned after the whole LBP debacle.

But as GwynbleiddiuM said, Muslims need to be more tolerant of other religions and of their own religion being used as subject matter for things.
    Salman Rushdie is still quaking in fear.

38. THE BOSS KSA

About the one who said that they all terrorists.
    I’m gonna ask you who told you that..??
    did you visit a country in the middle east and you saw the terrorists by your self…??
    or you just like any idiot who watch action movies.
    because they always present us like terrorists.
    or maybe you saw some terrorists activities in the news then you said that all the middle east people are terrorist. does that realy means they all terrorists..??
    you are talking about more than 100,000,000 person
    and if they all terrorists.. i don’t think that you can be alive in the next five minuets..!!.

terrorists are the stupid people who thinks that if they blow themselfs to kill Non-Muslims..they will go to the heaven..
    first their believes is wrong
    second..they are not Muslims because in Islam religion you are not allowed to kill yourself. so if someone of middle east people blew himself..sure you will see this in the news and if you saw an other one blew himself in the next day.. and you saw it in the news…then you say..WoW they all terrorists..!! and I’m gonna say.. WoW you are a big stupid because you are talking about more than 100,000,000 people.
    Finally..just don’t believe the movies and make your own believes. movies always present Saudi people living in the deserts and some of you believe this..but this is wrong too.
    this pics taken from Saudi Arabia http://www.yabdoo.com/users/623/gallery/2649_p75929.gif
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/1330893543_90957e171c.jpg. is this a desert..?