2K Marin says console wars “silly,” waste creativity

Monday, 8th February 2010 03:00 GMT By Nathan Grayson

bioshock2_360

Console wars. What are they good for?

Absolutely nothing, said BioShock 2 creative director Jordan Thomas.

“There’s a cognitive effect known as ‘confirmation bias’ which leads people to latch onto conclusions that support their preferences and ignore data which doesn’t,” he told Destructoid. “This leads to wild, unreasoning loyalty to a chosen platform, sports team, or brand of soda.”

“From a development perspective, the console wars are a bit silly; our target is consistency, and it’s always kind of sad to see people throwing their energy into ‘platform partisanship’, because it seems to flood the critical channels and drown out other creative discourse,” he explained

He’s right, you know. Plus, when ancient console rivalries finally end, new opportunities blossom. Just take a look at Mario and Sonic. Isn’t this a better world we now live in?

Ok. Maybe that’s a bad example.

1. Phoenixblight

Haha I see what you did thar :P

2. Psychotext

Shameful.

3. RGW1982

lol, That Just Cause The 1st Bioshock Was A Timed Exclusive For The 360, He’s Just Hoping The PS3 Players Who Hold Bias Against Bioshock For That Will Forget About It & Buy Bioshock 2.

That Said, In My Opinion The 1st Bioshock Wasn’t Very Good & Was Worth No More Then $29.99 New.. I’m Buying Dante’s Inferno On The 9th, Not Bioshock 2.

4. Psychotext

O_o

/not sure if serious

5. loki

Make PC ports silly, make games worse

6. mojo

maybe hes talking about the technical side of bioshock, which fairly spoken realy isnt that great..

“Just take a look at Mario and Sonic. Isn’t this a better world we now live in?”
    ehhh, no?
    MArio is MArio and Sonic is Sonic. I seriously hate those mixups..

7. Dannybuoy

I’ve never really thought that it should be described as a ‘war’, it’s a bit dramatic! People get killed in wars, the race between consoles isn’t really anything serious, it’s really just friendly banter and a little bit of competitive rivalry is a good thing I think. But you know what I hate most about these supposed console ‘wars’? Devs who wade in on the subject just to get a bit of media attention for their new game release… i for one didn’t really enjoy Bioshock, and I certainly won’t be buying the second one. phew.. monday morning rant over…

8. Blerk

I think the level of fanboyism on the internets is probably worse now than it has ever been. A more level playing field has obviously made for a much fiercer battleground.

But it’s not so bad. We Wouldn’t Have Anyone To Poke Fun At If They Didn’t Exist.

9. RGW1982

@ Bitch.. I Mean Blerk

Hate On Me Because Your System Blows, I Don’t Care.. In Fact I Hope It Makes You Feel Better.

All I’ll Say Is Enjoy Your Next RROD, Homo.

10. Blerk

:-D

11. Psychotext

lol

12. NGCes26294BIV

LMFAO @RGW1982

13. dirigiblebill

Why Do You Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Word, Do You Work For Kotaku

14. Petulant Radish

The Incessant Capitalisation Actually Hurts My Brain More Than You Can Possibly Imagine, Surely It Takes Much Longer To Type Like This Than In A Normal, Sane Persons, Fashion?

15. mington

Making a sequel to bioshock is “silly,” as we’ll all soon come to realise

16. Phoenixblight

@mington

Not really its getting great reviews so far, the game has leaked too and those that are playing as of right now say that it is actually better then the first.

17. Gekidami

A sequel isnt really silly. But isnt something like 6 of them planned already? Thats silly imo.

18. mington

i guess i’m just jaded

i read the closing comment of the IGN UK review

“If it wasn’t for that expanded, heightened, desperate combat, and how neatly that sidesteps into a surprisingly characterful multiplayer mode, this would be a lacklustre sequel. It’s redeemed by the surfeit of combinations, upgrades and gene tonics which allow you to truly specialise, creating a psychedelic, explosive fighting style all of your own. If there’s a third game (of course there bloody will be), it cannot be set in Rapture again. We’ve seen enough of it now. This second tour of duty with far superior toys is everything it needs to be, though. Familiarity breeds a little contempt, but as, simply, a game in which you shoot monsters in city under the sea, it’s better in every respect.”

he gave it a 9, but i don’t visit rapture for the combat or the multiplayer, i visit it for the atmosphere and the story

we’ll see, i hope i’m wrong

19. Phoenixblight

@Mington

Yeah most of reviews are stating because its a sequel the creepy setting is lost and its become familiar. Which is true that happens with all sequels. I loved that opening scene of Bioshock going down into Rapture and seeing that Splicer, I think I was a little scared at that moment also fighting the Big Daddies also got me nervous. Can’t get that feeling back.

20. mington

seriously, swimming towards that light house, the way the lights came on showing the looming statue of Andy Ryan, then his speech as you descend in the sub is fucking iconic

i just don’t want my fond memories to be dashed

21. onlineatron

You just know that this game will open up with a similar set peice moment that the developers see as ‘even bigger better and bolder’ than the orginals… but ultimately it won’t be anywhere near as special.

22. Eregol

Waste creativity?
    What’s creative about a sequel? Surely that’s regressive.
    To be completely creative surely you should be working on new ip?

23. onlineatron

Creativity can come in all forms. I think it’s a tad unfair to belittle their merits just because they are creating a sequel, especially when it was most likely thrust upon them by 2k’s higher ups.

24. mington

i think, for me, what it all boils down to is, i don’t want to be a shitting big daddy!

now, i don’t know how the game will play out, but it’s not a good start for me, but as D:ream once sang ‘things can only get better’

25. Eregol

Granted, there are sequels that are better than the originals.
    Uncharted 2 being a case in point.
    But I see it as a little odd to complain about creativity when you’re creating a sequel, in the same environment as the previous game, using a similar story template and not trying to do anything new.

Of course, it might not have been their decision to do the sequel. But if it keeps you in a job, don’t complain about creativity.

26. The Hindle

The first Bioshock was a masterpiece, there is just no way this is going to be as good. Unlike Uncharted or Mass Effect you could see they could improve those games so much with sequels which they did. Bioshock just didnt need it

27. Cess

Yet Bioshock 1 was both completely overrated AND a timed exclusive.

2k Marin should just keep quiet instead of making themselves look so stupid.