Molyneux says some features in Fable III may upset people

Saturday, 6th February 2010 22:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

petermolyneux4

Peter Molyneux has said that during next week’s X10 event, he might upset some people when features in Fable III are revealed.

Speaking with Game Reactor in a video interview, Molyneux chats a bit about, Natal, indie game and the like.

You can watch the video through here.

Molyneux revealed to Develop yesterday that Fable III has entered it’s final edit stage, so hopefully some cool stuff will be revealed for it next week.

1. Psychotext

…and here we go. lol

2. No_PUDding

The interview, however was awesome.

Doesn’t sound wholly confident about Natal, which is great. More realistic I mean, and therefore easier to believe.

3. SniperWolf

so it is natal game

4. sg1974

Natal wpont be able to support a game like this as even though it uses on average 10-15% of CPU power it will always reserve 33%. Do you think Fable 3 will only need 66% of the XBox CPU? Me neither.

5. Psychotext

It only needs to reserve the entire core if what you’re doing is lag sensitive sg (and requires skeletal tracking), which is only really going to be applicable to Natal specific games which utilise that sort of functionality (like that stupid ball game). At most, Fable 3 would use gestures.

6. itsucks

people talking about percentage of Natal/CPU power: stop, you’re grasping at straws, dumb fucks.

7. sg1974

No, I’m listening to what an MS guy said a couple of weeks ago, quoted on Kotaku, dumb fuck.

8. sg1974

“The source explained to Kotaku that, while Natal wouldn’t use the horsepower of a full core of Microsoft’s three-core central processor, it would need to use a core on its own in order to reduce latency between human input and what happens on a TV screen. That would leave the CPU’s other two cores for the other processes needed to run Natal-compatible Xbox 360 games.”

9. Psychotext

Actually, that Kotaku source was “anonymous”. Certainly wasn’t an “MS guy”. Microsoft actually said on record that it didn’t require an entire core.

10. sg1974

Psycotext, youre right, I misremembered. It was someone linked to Natal according to writer.

But clearly your point (comment 5) refers to the same claim as Ive referred to, as the CES is the only time its been mentioned so far. You say it will only reserve 33% when it needs to, based on that info. That statement says clearly to me that when Natal is used it will ALWAYS reserve one core and only two will be left for the game:

“That would leave the CPU’s other two cores for the other processes needed to run Natal-compatible Xbox 360 games.”

11. polygem

its like when you´ll go for a threesome you´ll have to shake your hips like elvis so natal will recognize what you´re up to….and then baaaammm – mom comes in kids….

12. Psychotext

I think you misunderstand sg. Full skeletal tracking is one thing, and low latency is another. If you need both, you’ll need to reserve the core… but something like gestures needs neither. You only need low latency when you’re making time sensitive (and by time I’m talking about the difference between 80ms and 110ms) actions, which doesn’t apply to gestures. Skeletal tracking doesn’t apply to gestures either, you’re just recognising a specific movement rather than keeping track of where all the joints are and what they’re doing.

A pure Natal game (like that ball game) will likely reserve a core to keep latency at the absolute minimum, and it’ll need to do skeletal tracking too. Something with gestures in it wont. It’s not all or nothing, there are levels to it. (and don’t forget, the image recognition hardware is still onboard the camera, they only moved the skeletal tracking code to the 360)

13. The Hindle

Off topic but IGN have LA Noire details from the Game Informer issue. Sounds fantastic from the details they give open world detective game ftw

14. Dannybuoy

Natal latency… Sounds like a horrific birth defect

15. Blerk

I’d only be upset about Natal features if the game required Natal, which of course it won’t.

So I’m thinking the potentially upsetting features are probably going to be something else. Knowing Peter… it’ll probably be something we haven’t even thought of.

16. polygem

this is one of those few games i will buy no matter what

17. MasterChiefFenix

features will upset or lack of enough new ones? well, with what he said in the last dev. vid i saw, it seems to be almost RTS liek in a way, but in an appealing way, not a click on little micro toys a billion times kinda way. who knows. IT’S MOLYNEUX, GAWDAMIT!

18. itsucks

@sg1974: own3d, dumb fuck. Shove your FUD up your arse.

19. Syrok

Can you please write without insulting everyone? Thanks.

20. JPickford

How does the amount allocated processing power affect latency?

Obviously a one off computing task will be done quicker with more CPU cycles allocated but this is a continuous stream of calculations. If the system updates 60 times per second then the processing must be done 60 times per second.

Unless the latency is introduced by sampling less frequently. Could make sense I suppose.

21. Gheritt White

Certain features will only be available to Xbox LIVE Gold subscribers. That’s what he’s talking about. I’m guessing an MMO-lite component.

22. sg1974

Itsucks, I’m not owned. You said we were grasping at straws when we’re actually talking about specific information partly directly from MS and partly from a source close to Natal. Go troll elsewhere. But not too late its a school night.

23. onlineatron

@The Hindle

Thanks for the headsup!

Here’s the link for others uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1067305p1.html

It sounds really interesting!

24. Bulk Slash

That Kotaku article is a bit light on details and seems on the surface to be inaccurate. MS already reserve a hardware thread on one of the cores to run the dashboard/achievements/messages/custom soundtracks/etc in the background. Kotaku’s source claims Natal needs a whole core, and leaves the other two for developers.

Since one thread is already reserved, there wouldn’t be two cores left. The source probably means Natal uses the other hardware thread on the dashboard core, which means developers are only losing one hardware thread out of a possible 5. This also makes sense of the conflicting claims that Natal uses either 10-15% or 33% of the CPU’s power.

@JPickford Natal’s cameras work at 30fps, so either there won’t be any 60fps games or they’ll just update the on-screen character every other frame.

25. blackdreamhunk

oh no it’s that lair agin, what’s he talking about now!!!!!

26. onlineatron

‘oh no it’s that lair agin, what’s he talking about now!!!!!’

What sort of ‘lair’?

The dragon kind…?

27. blackdreamhunk

he’s a lair, no wonder microsoft promoted to where he is today.

yea a big bright red dragon kind. lol

28. onlineatron

I don’t know whether to applaud you or slap you upside the head for negating my stab at your stupidity.

29. Eregol

I like lairs.
    They hold all manner of things.

As for Molyneux, it’s nice for the industry to have someone who talks so well about something he’s obviously passionate about.
    Only problem is, he never lives up to his billing. He needs to learn to calm down and show restraint.

30. blackdreamhunk

he’s a lair, no wonder microsoft promoted to where he is today.

yea a big bright red dragon kind. lol

no wonder you get milked for your ahahahahahaahaha

“passionate” the guy sucks and likes to talk trash! yea natal’s milo is soooooooo great. Molyneux is so smart he can out do the worlds top AI experts

31. Psychotext

/sniggers

32. blackdreamhunk

all you game devs who don’t have job and facing job cuts. Just remeber the publishers and game devs speak those lies because microsoft and sony have a good dictorship going on.

All you console gamers when you lose your online service just remeber all those game devs either forcing you to buy them consoles or who are up front lairs.

when your paing $100 for game just remeber who got you into buying them consoles

I can point some them out right now.

Oh yea don’t forget mainstream media too as well! they are also to blame!

33. Gheritt White

Maybe if PC game sold better, things would be different.

But they don’t.

/end

34. onlineatron

SHUTDOWN!

35. blackdreamhunk

did i not say that microsft and sony has a nice little dictorship going on.

11 000 game devs gone all because them consoles!

how is the high production costs doing these days

how meny publishers gone because of high production costs.

yea then mainstream midea are full of lairs too.

mirosoft and sony buy up all the retial apace does not help. I hear retailers were not support ing pc games after microsoft and buy up the paces and pc games get puch to the back.

Now retailer are scared stiff of Pc gaming DD, flash and free games

oh lets talk about gamespot

36. Eregol

Yep those lairs are bad.
    Almost as bad as liars.

37. blackdreamhunk

truth always speaks for it self

38. onlineatron

You’re just being a big fat LAIR…

At least you got a patch for analogue controls in the end.

39. DaMan

lairs.. hmm don’t you mean layers? the ones that lay the smackdown? or the ones that are getting laid? or the tiled layers? hmm I’m lost.

40. Johnny Cullen

Sony must have been right wee lairs when they said Lair was great.

41. Psychotext

Lair, lair, tongue’s on fair.

42. onlineatron

I don’t know what you lot are talking about.

I mean the lairs that lay a lot… you know when they don’t tell the truth… making them lairs.

God! Don’t be so ridiculous!

:P

43. blackdreamhunk

Do you know why my name is black dream hunk, lets say alot hot girls gave that name to me. I don’t need to lie either because I am the real thing. I’m what girls dream about.

I am the type of guy a lot girls want but can’t have because why because I’m yeshusha’s fighter.

In fact! lol

some say I am too good to be true

some say I am a player

some say I am gay

they just can’t handle me or have me that is all. lol

44. onlineatron

We’re not saying you need to lay…

You’re manhood is not in question here.

45. DaMan

oh.. well.. Billy Cliff, is he a lair? or he’s just a satin? or a satin lair?

46. Psychotext

Hahahahahahaha

/wipes tear from eye

47. The Hindle

Its offical, this thread is comedy gold

48. Gheritt White

I want a satin lair… BDH, can you hook me up?

49. Stephany Nunneley

I want to frame this thread and put it out for all to see.

DaMan – if you don’t get comment of the year for that one, I will slap the pope.

50. Blerk

I feel a bit dizzy.

51. onlineatron

Type Satin Lair into Google (Y)

52. blackdreamhunk

meh to be honest it does not bug me at all this is just the internet after all

ok how about untruthful,liars,lier you get my point

I am going to put this here too.

53. onlineatron

I…. just…. don’t… understand…

54. mington