Get your cowboy on with these Red Dead Redemption screens

Saturday, 6th February 2010 15:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

rdr

Rockstar has put out some new Red Dead Redemption screens, showing John Marston doing all sorts of cowboy stuff.

We have ‘em for you below, and each shows the many uses for ropin’ and lassoin’.

In addition to the firearms and traditional weapons featured in last week’s Weapons and Death video, the lasso requires skill to wield and should you wield it well, you can use it for all sorts of nifty things including subduing both man and beast.

You can use your rope to lasso some enemies and apply “frontier justice” by dragging him along behind your horse in the dirt, and use it to hogtie your Bounties before taking them to local law enforcement. Live Bounties equal more money than dead ones, and you’ll get on better with the Sheriff that way too.

Wild horses run free throughout the world of Red Dead Redemption, and if Marston finds himself without a horse, he can always lasso and break one to ride. Yeehaw.

Game’s out April 27 and 30 in the US and UK, respectively, for 360 and PS3.

GameStop has a pre-order program going on right now that nets you some cool threads. Check ‘em out here.

1. No_PUDding

/screams

In the NeoGAF thread, there’s a brilliant screen, where it’s a pond surrounded by willows and bullrushes, with an amazing palette. Stunning.

2. Psychotext

… and you didn’t even have the decency to link it? For shame.

3. Stephany Nunneley

Yeah! Shame on you PUD!

4. Yoshi

LINK US DAMIT lol

5. onlineatron

Yeah… Get your link on!

6. No_PUDding

Anyone have anything to add? If you feel the need to whinge do so now, or forever hold your whinge.

Anyway, I didn’t link becuase it was down, thankfully for you all, I saved it (very rarely do that) and have imageshacked it!

Beautiful huh?

7. deanimate

Hey pud you retard where’s the high res pic? That one’s tiny.
    Jesus, you are useless.

8. Droid

Looks like you shocked them all into silence with that screen. Looks ok but nothing amazing. But then it’s always been draw distance that they’ve had problems with on consoles. I can’t stand things popping into existance out of thin air in the background.

9. No_PUDding

No need for the harsh words. It was always that small. probably why it looks so amazing.

And Droid, that’s why I’d love it to be on PC, so that one day, in the FAR future, we will have an easy time playing it on Ultra-high, with no popin.

Will be an amazing game for the likes of me, who just enjoys goign round on horseback, in an amazingly beauitful world.

10. Stephany Nunneley

So what if it’s tiny! That’s a lovely pic. I too can’t wait to take my mount to a waterin’ hole like that after flying through the plains straight into the wind shootin’ at some scoundrels!

11. deanimate

Just taking the piss pud. Everyone else was jumping on the “lynch pud” bandwagon bandwagon so thought I’d join in.

Don’t think that image looks that good myself. High res would be a lot more telling. Game definitely looks interesting though. Hopefully a PC release is forthcoming.

12. No_PUDding

I know, you guys shouldn’t think me so sensitive. You can lynch me as much as you want, just be prepared to get some back.

Anyway, Shadow of the Colossus vibes. Hunting lizards with glowing tails/finding fruit is gone, replaced with real hunting I guess, and a Seraphim Falls vibe! I doubt it will be quite as pleasing in an artsy-designy-emotional way, but I managed with just plain fun, before Shadow of the Colossus.

Yeah, properly pumped.

13. Droid

I’m sure it will get onto the PC a year or so after release on consoles, probably following on from GTA4′s success. Unfortunately ports are usually rushed and fairly lousy, but we can always hope that they do a good job on it.

14. No_PUDding

Well if not, I am sure it will be improved, this isn’t going to be a small game.

Hopefully it will demand some attention.

15. deanimate

Shadow of the Colossus? Them be some mighty big boots to fill.
    I’ll be shocked if I can put them on a level playing field. Obviously they’re different games but in the simple sense of how enjoyable they are.
    Actually, after Last Guardian, how about some SotC 2 craziness? Not very original so probably won’t happen but…*drooooool*

16. No_PUDding

Heh, well, we don’t know what’s so original about Last Guardian, yet.

But yeah, it’s some big boots to fill. Shadow of the Colossus is essentially a ‘Noodle Western’. It has all the hallmarks of a Western, with some Japanese sensibilities in design and style. I go back to Shadow of the Colossus regularly, just to ride round, pat my horse, take him to watering holes, hunt lizards, find fruit, and attempt to climb the tower.

I hope I can find similar enjoyment in Red Dead Redemption. In a more historical setting I guess, more suitable to Western (geographical, as opposed to genre) design sensibilities.

/essay

17. onlineatron

‘So what if it’s tiny!’

………………………………………………………….. …. … … .. …. .. … ……….
    ……………………………………………………………….. ……. …. ……………… …..

….. HA!

18. Droid

I’m still holding out hope for a western MMO. Would make such a cool setting for an mmorpg game. And limitless possibilites. Cowboys vs indians “factions” etc. Brilliant. :)

19. No_PUDding

Steph has said that to me so many time now, she starting to convince me.

20. No_PUDding

I guess MMO’s never work for me, becuase of the very reason Shadow of the Colossus does. It feels like the world is incredibly static, and the animations are horrible.

But multiplayer on this, certainly does interest me.

21. onlineatron