The Grinder dev calls Arc “an amazing device”

Friday, 5th February 2010 07:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

thegrinder

High Voltage, the studio developing The Grinder, is currently working on Sony’s PS3 Motion Controller, codenamed Arc. Apparently it’s quite good.

“All we can say is we have development kits in-house and it is an amazing device,” CEO Kerry Ganofsky told IGN.

“It works exactly as advertised,” added CEO Eric Nofsinger.

The Grinder’s in development for Wii, PS3, 360 and PC. The Conduit, the company’s previous game, was a Wii exclusive that made a big point of supplying fully customisable motion controls.

For the record, we’ve also heard some very excited feedback on Arc. Arc: the greatest codename in the history of codenames. So good, in fact, that company bosses think that’s what it’s really called! Best codename ever.

The Grinder’s out in 2011. Arc’s out this autumn.

1. Dannybuoy

I have a good feeling about arc or whatever it’ll iltimaty be called.

2. Gekidami

I think this is what Sony were aiming for; Possible Wii devs moving to PS3.

3. mington

as it stands now even though sonys surprise announcement/demo last year looked really impressive i’m just not that interested

to be honest i haven’t really thought about it that much

the chances i’ll buy a natal 70%
    the chances i’ll buy an ARC 5%

to the layman ARC will just look very similar to the wii, in a time when everyone finally gets fed up with it

4. Bulk Slash

Until I see some games it’s hard to know whether to be interested in Arc or not. I’m not really interested in a bunch of Wii Sports and Wii Play clones so if that’s all it’s got then it’s going to flop with gamers. Casuals won’t be interested either if they can buy the Wii for half the price. Maybe at E3 they’ll have some killer apps rather than tech demos to show.

5. Robo_1

I’m just hoping that Sony release some sort of nun chuck add on for the motion wand, I think it looks solid past that.

6. sennasnit

Won’t be getting Arc, but i still think it’s better than Natal, I’m a lazy gamer.

7. spikeymike

I think it could be very good, judging from what I have seen of it. I do wonder how it will work when the coloured globe disappears from the view of the camera, though. Even playing something as simple as golf would make the globe go behind the user’s arms.

8. RGW1982

Natal = Failure
    ARC = Fun

FYCN

9. NGCes26294BIV

It’s called Arc. Fact. Sony are terrible at keeping secrets. Almost as bad as Microsoft.

I won’t be getting this though. Too much like a Wii, and I don’t use mine enough to justify having it.

Not sure about Natal either tbh. It might be novel to navigate menus etc using hand gestures, but it’s not going to turn me away from my good-ol’ ergonomic 360 pad :)

10. Dannybuoy

I’m just looking forward to precise cross hair aiming like in Resident Evil 4 on Wii, but with now gen graphics. Not bothered about motion controls/waggle per se…

11. DJ Deathstar

@RGW1982

Wow didn’t realise you’d used both Natal and Arc to give us this opinion of yours ;)

12. Mad-elph

Couldn’t one argue that you could get both on the PS3 as the PSEye is pretty much the design of Natal, sure its not as fancy, but It can do almost everything asked for. They could easily add a second cam and figure our depth better I suspect. I’d actually be surprised if they don’t have a small team working on PSEye update right now. They could rebrand the old one as cyclopse and the new one as PSEyes.