Rebellion apologises for AvP demo troubles

Friday, 5th February 2010 11:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

avp2

Rebellion has said it’s sorry for the match-making issues plaguing the Aliens vs Predator multiplayer demo.

Speaking in a statement just sent to VG247 by publisher Sega, the developer said it has fixed the problems dogging the PC and PS3 versions. The 360 demo was unaffected.

The taster was released yesterday.

“Unprecedented demand for Aliens vs. Predator following the release of the cross-platform demo yesterday morning brought to light matchmaking issues on the PC platform resulting in players having to wait to join games, or even not find games at all,” read the statement.

“We’re really sorry that this issue tainted a day in which we saw many people get hands on with AvP for the first time and we’re hugely gratified by the positive feedback to the game.”

The full statement is below. The shooter’s released on PC, PS3 and 360 on February 19.

Unprecedented demand for Aliens vs. Predator following the release of the cross-platform demo yesterday morning brought to light matchmaking issues on the PC platform resulting in players having to wait to join games, or even not find games at all.

We’re pleased to say later in the day the issue was corrected and a small patch to the PC executable next time you launch it from Steam will have you finding and playing games using Quick Match as it was intended.

While this issue did not affect the Xbox 360, we are, with SEGA’s assistance investigating reports of a similar nature on the PlayStation 3 and working flat out on a solution.

The full game features the ability to browse for and create games but for the purposes of simplicity the demo was limited to matchmaking, alongside the ability to set up groups with friends which mitigated yesterday’s issues for many.

1. Moonwalker1982

I’m definitely enjoying this demo. Graphically it’s nothing special , neither is it ugly. The balance is nice, and mostly it’s FUN! And with better and tactical maps with team-dm and such….this could be lots of fun to play online.

2. Captain Fruitloop

Another day, another borked Rebellion launch.

Still, this is nowhere near as good as the Judge Dredd game launch, when they put out a statement claiming that the wrong code had been sent out to reviewers, and that was why the game was reviewing so badly.

3. Gekidami

Hum, i think its abit unblanced, its my only real problem with it. Pradator feels useless, aliens can nearly one hit kill everytime with their heavy attack, and the marines machinegun is the only weapon you’ll ever need.

4. mington

i had quick game last night, it is a bit of an ugly duckling.

quite a few insta-deaths apon respawning which was annoying

but, facing off against them damned aliens is exhilarating, got the old heart pumping again, i haven’t felt it move in years

5. Moonwalker1982

Exactly, this is the very first multiplayer game where i have moments that i am like ‘shit, i didn’t see that coming’ but in a way to you almost jump out of your chair.

I’m really not gonna write this off at all yet, and never judge a demo. I hated the Army of two: TFD demo, loved the full game. I don’t think the Predator and Marine are useless, the Predator can really work if you use the cloaking. I had lots of Aliens running past me because they didn’t see me, and plenty Marine that simply stood in front of me and weren’t aware of my presense.

6. Bulk Slash

I gave the MP demo a try to see if I could get a hint of how the single player mode would feel, and it seemed very promising. The marine moves really slowly, like Resident Evil, which should heighten tension when being chased by xenomorphs. Plus the marine seemed to die very easily, which is important when you consider the enemies he’s facing off against.

The motion tracker in particular was fantastic at ramping tension as it doesn’t distinguish height, so you never know if an alien is about to drop from above or a predator about to de-cloak from behind.

My only minor complaint would be that the motion tracker “beep” and the pulse rifle sound effects aren’t quite faithful to the sound effects from Aliens.

7. Tallon 4

Their last game was a disaster maybe this one is better

8. SunKing

I actually think this is pretty good. I’m glad they made the Predator more of a stealthy, rogue-type class, more reliant on gadgets and technology rather than head-on fisticuffs.

9. Enkeixpress

I didn’t experience any problems when I played the demo just last night.. Although I did only play one match so that could be the reason for that, I guess.

10. OlderGamer

This is one of those games that I like inspite of its flaws.

I haven’t enjoyed a MP game this much in a long long time. Very intense. And I love playing the Aliens, sprinting towards a marine from behind, hissing, watching him turn around, only to find me, still sprinting, but climbing the wall, then the celling, then droping down behind him and grabing him. This game is almost, ALMOST as good as the old Aliens Online PC game that Kesmia used to run. But because of that games team work, map layout, and cutimization and leveling up options it was better.

But this game is good. Very fun, looking forward to them ironing out a few bugs. We will own a copy, just need to decide what system to buy it on. I am leaning xb360 because of the controler and the idea that more Active Playing Live members should mean more matches online. Thats why I get most of my MP games that way.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I couldn’t get in any games last night. I’ll try again tonight. Good news.

12. RGW1982

Demo Sucked Ass, Deathmatch Is Horrible, The Level Is Small And Dark, The Alien Vs Alien Or Predator Vs Predator Battles Feel Like A Knife Fight With Weak Knifes, You Can’t Hurt Alien Or Predator When They’re Doing An Instant Kill Which Is Retarded..The Graphics Are The Best Part Of The Demo, The Graphics Look Sweet In 720p.

They Will Lose A Lot Of Sales From This Terrible Demo.

I Still Plan To Buy The Game As I Will Never Play The 2 Worst Modes In The Game, Mixed Species Deathmatch & Deathmatch, It’s Unfortunate They Chose Deathmatch For The Demo.

13. Gekidami

EDIT: Actually i’m starting to think the site thats said the 360 version was patched just misunderstood this message from Rebellion.

14. AHA-Lambda

PLayed it on my bros 360 cos the ps3 version still don’t work even then matchmaking is shockingly bad and I had 2 timeouts aswell >_>

I’m disappointed and I’m gonna cancel my pre order tbh. The game seems to have a RPS approach that has a pretty damn unfair learning curve. I got my ass handed to me for the 40 minutes I played (only about 3 matches given the matchmaking >_>) except for marines just cos that is based on a typical fps and is familiar. I’m disappointed; might wait for budget price for the SP at least :(

15. Michael O’Connor

“The Level Is Small And Dark”

Complaining about a game with Aliens and Predators in it being too “hard” is complaining complaining about an episode my My Little Pony being too bright and happy.

It’s intense and fun. It has the tension of the Alien and Predator franchises down to a tee. Sometimes it even feels like a horror games, especially if you’re playing as the marines.

The graphics are weak in places, but it’s still a great piece of fun.