ModNation Racers revealed for PSP

Friday, 5th February 2010 14:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

MNR PSP

SCEE’s revealed it’s bringing ModNation Racers over to PSP.

The racer will have the creative tools as that of the United Front-made PS3 edition, with the possibility of remixing other people creations as well as uploading, downloading and racing them.

It’ll also have a 7-player online multiplayer included.

It finally confirms speculation which started back in December, when US retailer GameStop had it down on its website.

The game’s expected to release alongside the PS3 version, which is currently down for spring. So expect it to be released then.

Find the first trailer below, thanks to the EU PS Blog.

1. Dannybuoy

cool.. lets hope you can import tracks from the PS3 game… I was really let down with LBP in that respect

2. Psychotext

That would be pretty cool actually. Given that neither game is out yet, it should certainly let them plan that sort of thing in advance.

3. Zarckan

I wouldn’t count on it Psycho….

4. Blerk

Hopefully the editing tools will be as easy as they look. My son was a bit disappointed with LBP for the PSP because editing is actually pretty fiddly and it takes ages to do anything even half reasonable – not good for a 7-year-old’s usual levels of patience.

5. Psychotext

I wouldn’t count on it Psycho…

Count on it… no. Just think it would be cool. I appreciate that you’d likely be dealing with massively different object budgets between the two platforms.

@Blerk: I found the ModNation tools far easier to use than the LBP tools.

6. Johnny Cullen

Am I the only one who went “don’t care”?

Don’t get me wrong, the PS3 and PSP versions look good, but it doesn’t have the wow factor LittleBigPlanet had.

7. Syrok

I found the ModNation tools far easier to use than the LBP tools.

For me its exactly the other way around. :)

I’m in the Don’t Care Camp as well, JC.

8. AHA-Lambda

@5 I agree modnation racers tool was easier to use i felt

althou i do think lbp is a better game. I agree with johnny abit here but just cos I feel the beta on ps3 doesn’t show enough of the game yet to form any opinion on it

9. onlineatron

7 Player online is a nice pet to have.

Still… it kind a takes away from the hype around the PS3 game.

10. Psychotext

You’re biased Syrok. You know the LBP tools inside and out at this point. :P

Coming from first principles I found it far easier to create something meaningful in ModNation than in LBP. It took me 15 minutes to make a basic track which worked ok. After 15 minutes with the LBP creator I had some blocks on the screen, and very little else. :D

11. onlineatron

Anyone notice that the PSP version seems to run smoother than the PS3 version?

12. Syrok

Yeah, that may have affected my judgement. :D

Getting the basics done is easier in ModNation, I agree with that, but once I wanted to make things more detailed and individual itI thought it becomes overly fiddly and sometimes unintuitive. (Not that LBP is always intuitive. Stupid wobble bolts… ^.^)

13. onyxbox

@Blerk

My daughter got cheesed off with it in the end… first two weeks after Christmas were “Aghhh… it’s stopped working! I can’t do the same things, you can’t make shapes the same! And it takes ages, every time you do anything it has to wait and load”

In the end I was beginning to wish I hadn’t bought it… she’s playing Sims 3 now… and that’s starting to turn into a support nightmare too. :-/

14. DJ Deathstar

Pretty cool, was thinking it was a matter of time before this was announced looking forward to it no doubt

15. Blerk

@onyxbox, yeah, he’s pretty much given up on it. He still plays some of the levels, but the editor’s not been touched in ages. I had a quick go with it and… couldn’t be arsed. :-D

16. Neolucifer

Personally beyond the customization of the character , i couldnt care less about creating tracks and stuff .

So i’ll leave that to others . I’m more than satisfied with the idea of a ps3 excellent mario kart clone .. the rest is just (huge) bonuses .

The ps1 only had crash team racing , rather excellent , even better imo than MK with it’s handling of drifting and items . Sadly it became crap by the second game already .

And since then nothing on the arcade horizon beyong burn out and wipeout (screw nfs)

17. Blerk

It’ll be interesting to see which of this or the Sega kart racer does a better job of doing a non-Nintendo Mario Kart. Crash Team Racing did a pretty good job of it, albeit with a fairly unappealing set of characters.

18. sennasnit

Muppet Race Mania was great, but the lack of 4 player split screen screwed it for us multi-tappers. But CTR was the bollox.