BioShock 2 on PS3 requires mandatory 5Gb install

Wednesday, 3rd February 2010 19:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bioshock2_360

It’s been revealed that when BioShock 2 releases next week, PS3 versions will require a mandatory install weighing it at 5Gb.

The first Bioshock was a required install of 4.98Gb on PS3, so this shouldn’t be too shocking for Sony users.

On Xbox 360, the game will come with an optional HDD install – but it’s unclear how much of a difference it will make performance wise if you don’t install the feature (via Examiner).

Yesterday, 2K revealed the contents of the Special Edition of the game, while announcing midnight launches across the States.

Today, the game’s launch trailer was released.

Won’t be much longer now, Rapturites.

1. Redh3lix

All good. I HATE the fact you can hear some games constantly accessing parts of the disk. Cant be good for any drive imo.

2. Razor

Hopefully they will actually be some tangible advantage for doing this.

But I don’t hold my breath.

3. Syrok

Does it come with folding instructions for an origami Big Daddy?

4. Gekidami

Just when it looked like mandatory installs were a thing of the past Heavy Rain and this suddenly throw us back in.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

As a result, we better see SIGNIFIGANT load time differences between this and X360 version…right?

6. Bulk Slash

Are mandatory installs that much of a problem? I’ve only had a PS3 since Christmas so I don’t yet have any games that need installing. I always install games on my 360 to the hard drive as it really speeds up loading (and shuts that noisy DVD drive up), so shouldn’t PS3 owners be happy about this?

7. Gekidami

Bah, its good new to some extent when a game gives the option to install but the fact that its ‘mandatory’ is annoying. It means that not matter if you want it or not you’ll have to sit though 5mins of install and loose 5Gb on your HDD.

8. Seraphemz

Installs vs Disk Swapping… Nobody wins.

9. JasperLoons

@ Bulk
    I don’t think most PS3 owners have a problem with it. It’s just flame bate. I don’t mind installing games on the PS3, and I always install my 360 games too.

10. Aimless

It’s the “mandatory” part that riles people, Bulk Slash. Especially as some of the most technically impressive games on the system — Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, FFXII, etc — don’t require one. In reality I spend far longer installing games on my 360 than PS3 as I’ll do it for whatever I’m currently playing.

Personally installs don’t bother me. I bought a 320GB laptop HDD for around £35 and whacked it in to my PS3, and since then I’ve not even come close to worrying about space.

11. JimFear666

Im not surprised since they probably did the game with the same engine and with a lot of code from the 1st one. Anyway i really dont care about installation, its not a problem for me. I really cant wait to play the 2nd bioshock.

12. Gekidami

Very good point there Jim.

13. Redh3lix

Same as aimless tbh. I have a 320gb Western Digital on my PS3 and would actually prefer partial installs to all my games tbh. MW2 for instance is CONSTANTLY accessing the disk drive. It’s annoying.

14. Vistrix

Im one of the few people who actually supports mandatory installs.

Hard drive space is so cheap… if mandatory installs became the standard, developers will all be able to do alot more with their coding efficiency.

I’d only understand people complaining about mandatory installs if the hardware only support proprietary upgrades – which is not the case.

15. frostquake

It does make a difference!!!!!
    I have a PS3 with 2 Gigs left on it, and have NO room to spare, unless I Invest spending money I don’t have on a New Hard Drive and a Transfer External Hard Drive if I want to keep everything I have without downloading hours upon hours of all my old content, which Sony informed me on the phone, that some of my movies will not re-download because they are tied to that hard drive and that hard drive ONLY!!

So when PS3 is a Mandatory Install and it is available on the the Xbox 360, I buy it for my 360 since I have both systems, simple as that!!

16. Yoshi

@frostquake i think you get to download games and movies atleast 5times =/

17. bugmenot

AFAIK Yoshi
    unlimited downloads across 5 activated systems. There are exceptions, particularly certain Singstar tracks and movies where the publishers have specified tighter DRM to prevent sharing.
    @frostquake
    Thats the first i’ve heard of it as i’m sure activation is tied to the machine not the hard drive!

18. Gekidami

If you’ve managed to fill up 40Gb (atleast) then you’ve probably got some stuff you can get rid of. You can redownload games and movies and deleting a games install dosnt remove its actual saved progression.

19. Blerk

The worst thing about a mandatory install is that you can’t just throw a game in for a quick five-minute blast unless you’ve previously gone through the installation process and left the data on the drive. It removes all the immediacy that made console games so popular in the first place.

Sony should really be actively discouraging this sort of thing.

20. Gheritt White

I’m with Blerk. Anything that strays too far away from the simple “plug-in and play” ethos of the NES/Master System era is going down the wrong path, IMHO, and only leads to a worse experience for the consumer.

If consoles aren’t simpler and swifter to operate, we might as well be playing games on our PCs!