id Software celebrates 19th birthday

Tuesday, 2nd February 2010 08:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

idlogo21

Quake-maker id Software celebrated its 19th birthday yesterday.

The studio was founded in 1991 by John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall and Adrian Carmack [no relation to John - JC].

Last year was a pretty big one for id.

It was taken over by ZeniMax, Bethesda’s parent group, for an undisclosed sum, although it was revealed $105 million was borrowed to conduct the deal.

The developer is currently workking on Rage for PS3, 360, and PC for a release this year, as well as DOOM 4.

The latter still hasn’t been shown, but should make this year’s Quakecon, given what id’s CEO Todd Hollenshead told Nathan at last year’s event.

Happy birthday, chaps.

Thanks, BN.

1. Blerk

Happy birthday, id! If only you could still wow me like the first time I saw Wolfenstein and Doom… make it so!

2. endgame

happy b-day id. i’m so proud of u. :D wolfenstein and doom were ok but what i really enjoyed were the quake series. quake 1 at least was the first “3d” shooter that i played on the pc and it just.. idk. it brings back good memories. i ty for that. cheers.

3. Blerk

I really didn’t get on with Quake at all. In any of its iterations.

4. Bulk Slash

I’ve enjoyed just about every game id have made, even Doom 3, which I thought was rather misunderstood and underrated. The only id game I have never played is Quake 2 because my PC at the time wasn’t up to running it. I really should buy it on Steam and try it…

5. mington

quake 2 changed my life, i played through that game ALOT

i even bought quake 4 (naff) on my xbox360 because it came with a bonus disk of quake 2, i bought it second hand and it came without the bonus disk RRRRAAAAAAGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!

why the fuck can’t they just release this as a download

stupid id, happy birthday

6. Gheritt White

Happy birthday, ID! Can’t wait for RAGE, first game by ID I’ve looked forward to since Spear of Destiny (although I absolutely adored Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Heretic 2, they were both developed by Raven).

7. ShiroGamer

oh how lovely
    good times indeed
    RTCW
    oh and id tech 4

8. fdelfino

Happy birthday id!

Now give us a release date for RAGE, for fuck’s sake!!!!

9. rainer

Dam time flies, 19 years is a long time for any studio to survive, congrats to id and happy birthday.