FFXIII on Xbox 360 tipping the scales at three discs, says Gamefly

Tuesday, 2nd February 2010 03:59 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ffxiii21

Read ‘em and weep, Final Fantasy fans. Gamefly‘s page for Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360 has the eye-popping RPG pegged at three double-stuffed DVDs.

Immaculately rendered hair doesn’t support itself, you know.

We’ll stir up some dust in Square Enix’s direction and see if there’s any truth behind the renowned rental service’s claims.

1. Bleak Harvest

Just curious — how many hours did the 4 disc Lost Odyssey clock in at?

2. tatsujin

Sad, sad for an old format. I’m getting this on PS3. Tyvm.

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

PS3 here as well.. I own both systems, besides this game was made for the PS3, and no disc swapping…

I hear you have to go to Disc 1 again at some point of the game… So I predict even with 3 discs on Xbox, you will be swapping discs at least 5 times.

4. Jadeskye

lost odyssey was crazy hours. i think i put 40 hours into that game and i was barely into the 3rd disc when i put it down.

5. Anthorne

I dont see that big of a deal with disc swapping. Maybe im not at that stage of lazy gamer yet. But I’m hoping to become one some day :)

6. Blerk

It’ll be amusing to see how the load times compare. 360 owners have to get up and change the disc, but will it still ultimately be faster than loading the game from Blu-Ray? :-D

(ohnohedidn’t?!)

7. Soong

I’m waiting for the superior PC version instead! :D

8. Michael O’Connor

If multiple discs is actually a relevant issue to your play experience… get the fuck off of your fat ass and go get some exercise.

“Just curious — how many hours did the 4 disc Lost Odyssey clock in at?”

I managed about 70 hours in that game, doing a decent chunk of side-quests, but far from all of them. The disc swapping was completely irrelevant to the experience.

9. Gekidami

Its not so much the idea that people will have to get up and change disc (obviously, seriously what a retarded defense point that is, please drop it) but that DVD9′s are just a crappy format whilst on Blu-ray you get an uninterrupted experience with better uncompressed audio and video.

10. Aimless

I think multiple disks is only a problem if you’re constantly having to swap them around when going to different areas; going off the apparent linearity of FFXIII that should be fairly unlikely.

Mass Effect 2 comes on two disks and requires you to swap them twice — once after an extended opening, again right before the finale — but as it isn’t pestering you to change things around to visit certain star clusters it’s a non-issue.

11. NGCes26294BIV

Seriously, who cares anyway. This game has reviewed badly (especially for a FF title) and is not an essential purchase. I couldn’t care less how many discs it was on.

12. zoopdeloop

@6 the loading times on the ps3 version are almost non existent and without any install…they will almost be the same on the 360 version.Take account though that the 360 version may use DVd’s (faster reading)but it also has compressed data which it will add a little bit to the ammount of loading times.

@8 The idea behind this is for people who have the choice between the 2 versions.
    After all it’s 2010 and things have been evolved since ps and ps2 days.
    It’s like having your favourite movie on 2 Vcd’s rather than 1 Dvd

13. Blerk

That was what we refer to in the trade as “a joke”, zoop. :-D

I somehow doubt that the 360 version uses “uncompressed data” though. If your disc space is restricted then the last thing you want to do is to leave everything in its vanilla form when you put it on the disc.

14. zoopdeloop

@11 It’s true that it doesn’t quite live up to the FF hype but it’s one of the best JRpg’s this gen.
    Also don’t trust reviewers who don’t know fluid Japanese.So far there are mixed reviews of the Japanese version

15. zoopdeloop

Sorry didn’t see that Blerk :)

SE said a long time ago that the 360 version would be heavily compressed so that it would not exceed 3 dvd’s and they were trying to do their best to accomplish that…as it seems they nailed it :)

16. JonFE

Does anyone know how does the x360 cope with games on multiple disks installed to the hard disk? I mean, does it choose from the installed images the necessary one to load regardless of which DVD is in the drive?

EDIT:
    @zoopdeloop, are you actually responding to your own comment? :lol:

17. Blerk

You can install all of the discs at once, but you still need to swap the physical disc when it asks you to for the piracy check. It will spin the new disc up to check it, but then uses the installed image instead.

18. Aimless

You need to have the appropriate disk in the drive regardless of whether its content is installed or not, JonFE.

Edit: Well, now this comment is just superfluous. I suppose I’ll take the opportunity to appreciate the subtle irony of spending more time installing game data on my 360 than my PS3.

19. JonFE

Thank you both!

I was hoping this wouldn’t be the case, but when dealing with piracy checks, it kind of makes sense I guess…

EDIT: zoopdeloop, I *know* you know what I’m talking about! 8)

20. zoopdeloop

@16 what are you talking about?
    don’t have a clue really :P

21. Gekidami

Yep, otherwise you’d just install it then trade in the game. :D

22. Crazyreyn

Changing the disc gives you a feeling of progress, so I’m quite happy to have it.