Confirmed: FFXIII 360 to ship on 3 DVDS

Tuesday, 2nd February 2010 10:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii

Square Enix has told VG247 that the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII will ship on three DVDs in March.

The news comes after it was US retailer Gamefly listed the RPG at three discs overnight.

“Yes the game is on three DVDs for the 360,” a Square rep told us.

It was also confirmed to us that you’re not going to be doing too much ejecting during play.

“Players will only have to swap discs twice during their entire game,” said the rep.

Last year at gamescom, producer Yoshinori Kitase told VG247 Square was “aiming” to get keep the magic number at three.

The title was announced for 360 by the president of Square Yoichi Wada in July 2008 at E3.

Final Fantasy XIII will release in the west for PS3 and 360 on March 9.

1. Eregol

Not as many as I thought there would be.
    I wonder how many it would have been without all the compression.

2. Quiiick

Take the size of the PS3 version and divide it by 4.7 then you’ll get the # of DVDs.

3. Blerk

You can get nearly 7gb on a 360 DVD, Quiick. They’re dual layer.

4. SunKing

“Players will only have to swap discs twice during their entire game”.

Great news. Although I’d prefer one disc, this is hardly the massive concession some rabid PS3 fans were making it out to be. I just hope it looks/plays as good as the PS3 version.

5. Scyrenn

Old school! ^^

6. johnnywashngo

They should have a special edition available for 360 users that comes with a USB DVD carousel device to put a stop to that pesky disc swapping ;)

7. VIP0R

johnnywashngo:

Yeah lets make use out of all the now Defunct HD-DvD Drive. They should release a Patch that lets games Accessible from them.

Come on Microsoft lets get a bit Greener! =]

8. Bulk Slash

Personally I quite like disc swapping, it gives me a sense of achievement and progress in the game. Panzer Dragoon Saga was on 4 discs and it was always a buzz to reach the end of each one.

9. Blerk

The worst thing about swapping discs is when ‘all discs are not equal’. You spent 20 hours each on discs 1 and 2, get to disc 3 and think ‘awesome, another 20 hours!’ and then it’s over in three. :-D

10. zoopdeloop

Exactly Blerk… in fact there’s no real sense of progress as each Dvd isn’t equal…in some dvd’s the space is filled with more CG’s less gameplay,in others the opposite… and the last one is most of the times much “shorter” in terms of gameplay…thus for some people if they like the game so much is really a bummer since they’ve inserted the last disc know that they’re towards the end
    I guess ignorance is a bliss sometimes right? :)

11. mington

@9 shen mue 2 was the worst culprit of this, the final disc consisted of a hour of walking through a field

12. daytripper

all this talk about swapping a disc. some people need to get a life.

13. mington

what is this ‘life’ you speak of, will there be cake?

14. NiceFellow

That two disk swap comment is going to fuel some ‘PS3 version compromised’ arguments.

To do that the quests, etc must have been arranged to be linear or only allow exploration across content on one DVD at a time vs the potential to have a less linear structure with one disk (where everything is always available).

Oh well, it keeps the internet warm.

I note ‘aiming’ as well, that’s a surprise given the game is out in Japan so the amount of content is fixed and known at this stage.

So I can only assume right now the content actually doesn’t quite fit on 3 (otherwise he should be able to confirm 3) and they’re either playing with compression on videos and the like to wondering whether to cave in and just go to 4 disks.

15. daytripper

@mington rabbit cake and a glass of haddock flavour pepsi

16. Eregol

I have a feeling that the game was always intended to be similar to FFX in structure, where it’s purely linear until the final third where it opens up allowing you to go where you want.

17. mington

i’m allergic to fish, is the pepsi made with real fish extract or is the cola made with fish flavorings, can’t be too careful wouldn’t want my life to be over before it even begun

18. daytripper

i could urinate in it and smooth out any effects of allergic fish reaction which i believe makes your penis swell up to the size of a zx-spectrum travel bag…i could be wrong though.

19. mington

that much swelling you say

does the travel case (and in turn my grotesquely swollen penis) have room for my zx-spectrum James bond Magnum Light Phaser? (actual name i just googled it)

20. mington

FUCK YEAH, SOLID GOLD WIN

we used to cheat by holding the gun to the screen :)

21. daytripper

i am unsure to be honest. although i hear from a good source at N4G.com that if you go run around a tidy room with lots of manoeuvre going “ARGGGHH” for around 56 seconds any reaction to the original allergic problem would be obliterated.

on a more serious note, i might give Final Fantasy 13 a miss, with mass effect 2 and the arrival of heavy rain i might not have time for this transsexual japanese style RPG.

22. Psychotext

“So I can only assume right now the content actually doesn’t quite fit on 3 (otherwise he should be able to confirm 3) and they’re either playing with compression on videos and the like to wondering whether to cave in and just go to 4 disks”

The actual game itself would fit on a standard 360 dual layer DVD… so yeah, the compression of the videos will decide how many discs they end up with.

23. mington

hell, i do that on the hour every hour anyway

its been a VERY long time since i’ve managed to complete a jrpg so i may not even bother with it….who am i kidding, i’ll be playing it on ps3 though, but no promises about finishing it

24. daytripper

@psychotext “but but Tha C3LL procissor?? OMG”

25. daytripper

@mington i play both consoles but prefer 360 for live, achievements and controller. probably stick with mass 2 until that split/second racing game comes out, looks unreal FTWWWW

26. mington

“prefer 360 for live, achievements and controller”

me too, the ps3 analogue is annoying, feels too loose

but my ps3 makes alot less noise

i can’t believe i’m saying this, but i don’t really care about achievement points, i hit 30000 and kinda stopped caring, it is nice to have those little extra challenges like speed runs

i get the feeling ff13 achievements will be mostly story based

27. OlderGamer

Maybe its me, but I couldn’t careless about playing this game no matter how many discs it does or doesn’t have.

I still haven’t played D:AO or ME2 yet, both of them have far more appeal to me. FF is a rental at best. If it turns out decent and the kids like it, maybe I will pick it up on the cheap for their B-day or xmass or something. But I doubt it. FF is just another example of JP being stuck in a rut, imo.

28. Dannybuoy

@5 Old school.. My feelings exactly!

29. DaMan

first FF I actually won’t be playing (completing), simply not going to spend money on something like this.

30. Scyrenn

@28 …but in a negative way I assume?

The original Baldur’s Gate came on six cd’s, and no way I had enough drive space back then for a full install… Those were the days I tell you… :’)

And what is it with internet people and their anti-japan sentiments lately? So annoying…

Bunch of gay-ass goddamn boring space marine fetishists… ><

31. MushroomStamp

I’m with OG.. FF13 is on the bottom of my list.. but it is on the list. Just too many other great games to play.

32. OlderGamer

I need to be careful answering this one, because some have already labaeled me a JP hater. But…

I think it comes down to having more options.

In the days when JP established themselves as the source for games, the western games market was all but laughable. Most of the wests better games were PC games anyways. And the consoles belonged to JP.

Well today the PC and the console markets have just about merged. A lot of cross over hits being put out across PS3, XB360, and PC. Add to that the run away hits from CoD, Halo, UC, Gears and more. And western games are far more viable then they used to be.

Now take the JRPG. It never used to have a whole lot of competition from the west. But today we have Oblivian, FallOut, World Of Warcraft, Dragon Age Origins, and yes said space Marines like the ones in Mass Effect games. I think those games and other provide more choices and allow for more mass apeal then the traditional JRPG. Factor in the fact that most JRPGs haven’t embraced too much evolution and prgress over the years … and it is easy to see why so many people play something else.

I think you can see it in different genres too. Uncharted or Lost Planet? God Of War or Bayonetta? Dantes Inferno or Devil May Cry? Forza or GT? I think today more then ever there is a very strong western game develpment community.

I think that JP is slow to act and reluctant to embrace change. I also think that some of them are very disalusioned over where they stand in the grand scheme of things and in the games market in general. Too many Rock Star Calabur Iconic game designers in JP. Sure there are big names all over from Jaffe to Blisinzki to name a couple in the west too. But I think it is out of hand in JP. Too much focus on the game designer and not enough focus on making sure the game is not only good, but something the gamers want to play. My best example of this would be MGS4, good game, but way to much CGI sequences for most people to enjoy.

I don’t hate JP, but over the years I have grown tired of their games. Their design is stale, the stories so over told they have become cliches, their art design is not something I conect with(I think this is a huge problem – in 16bit days the pixilated chars didn’t show off the flamboyant jp style the same way their games today do – I think it turns western gamers off).

In short I think that the JP game developing comunity has lost a lot of ground in recent years. Here comes a new FF. This is ‘possed to be a block buster meganormous game, but I don’t think it will be. I expect it to sell well. But I don’t expect it to sell top 3 or 5. I think it could crack the top ten at the end of the year, which is good. Great even. But I doubt it will be what some people are expecting it to be.

33. DaMan

“I think you can see it in different genres too.”

hey Older, when you say that stuff, are you trying to explain your personal gaming preferences or something?…

because duhh, you’re actually right about their role playing games (they’ve been in a decline for almost a decade now, many people started to notice that during PS2 and Xbox times), and say ie RE5 and Dead Space. but it seems you’re getting a little carried away here.

“God Of War or Bayonetta? Dantes Inferno or Devil May Cry? “?? have you even played it, old man? I’m currently half through the game (Bayonetta that is, just got it on Saturday) and I can say that it’s one of the most enjoyable games ever. it’s everything DMC 4 should’ve been. if that’s no gameplay evolution then I don’t know what is. sorry if you would prefer more wandering around levels or a better storyline presentation to fun. or if visually it doesn’t appeal to people like you. I could as well say I can’t stand a protagonist like everyday american Nathan Drake or I dislike Greek mythology.. because comparing Bayonetta to GoW gameplay wise is like comparing Halo to Rainbow 6.

34. Scyrenn

Christ (or Iscariot, sorry), I dunno where to start…

Oh wait…

@32!

*cough*

From where I’m sitting it looks like the entire game industry is stuck in a rut, getting stale, cliche, whatever… Please don’t blame Japan, at least their character design isn’t as boring as the west…

Just a matter of personal taste, I guess…

I think part of the problem is that (as you said, somewhat) today’s graphics have become too detailed, there’s hardly any room foor imagination anymore…

Just look at BG1 or FF6′s ingame characters, then look at something like Dragon Age (Neverwinter Nights 3 :p), maybe you see what I mean?

35. Scyrenn

Also, just look at the PS2′s huge and varied library of jrpgs… Or don’t they count anymore?

How are you going to go from Dark Cloud to Disgaea to Odin Sphere to Atelier Iris to etc etc. and tell me jrpgs are getting stale? I really don’t get it. :)

36. Scyrenn

And lastly, sorry for the triple post, as for your last paragraph, who the hell cares how much it (anything) sells or where it ends up in the top whatever? It’s that kind of thinking that got you bored in the first place, isn’t it?

37. DaMan

Eternal Mana was the only decent Atelier Iris game on PS2 I thought, because it didn’t take itself seriously. the sequels were like epitomes of jrpg cliches.

38. daveydc

I actually prefer the ps3 controller the 360 one only works well which i okay as thats pretty much all there is on 360, i do own both and there both great but before you keep saying “live is better” maybe you should play a ps3 online first cause there is hardly a difference except the price. the FFXIII thing is quite funny 3 dvd’s my god its just confirmation that microsofts greedyness has cost its loyal fanboys had they built in the hd dvd drive the discs could have been around 30gb. as for the game if you read the review on ign.com it will tell you that it is better on ps3 as the movies are in full blown hd and not compressed unlike the 360.

39. frod