Sony says iPad will only cause gamers to flock to PSP

Saturday, 30th January 2010 21:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ipad

John Koller, Sony’s director of hardware marketing, has told the Wall Street Journal that Apple’s iPad launch bodes well for its PSP handheld.

“Apple’s entrance into the portable gaming space has been a net positive for Sony,” said Koller. “When people want a deeper, richer console, they start playing on a PSP.”

Basically, iPad’s only set to “whet consumers’ appetite for a dedicated device”, wrote the WSJ.

Sales of PSP and PSPgo topped 654,000 units in December 2009, tripling in sales since iPhone was launched onto the scene in 2007.

The App Store, which carries loads of games, is expected to push sales of iPad and some industry vets seem impressed with it.

Still, like Koller, others are not – like Nintendo president Satoru Iwata who called it nothing more than a “big iPod Touch”.

Despite the mixed opinions within the industry, expect Apple to start a media blitz for games and apps when iPad launches in 60-days.

Via Kotaku.

1. No_PUDding

Oh my.

Are they saying that the iPad is somehow unecessary enough, to give the PSPGo some context?

2. Razor

The person who buys a iPad would have the intelligence not to buy a PSPg…oh, hang on….

3. The_Deleted

Yeah, ‘cus it’s been a raging success so far… Especially since the DS has proven it’s worth…

4. Psychotext

SMH

5. DaMan

yeah, also Sony needs 360 to succeed in Japan.

6. itsucks

Why waste your time watching sitcoms when people can just read the still delusional PR Shit Phony dumps?

PSP(Go) was the bigest Flop of 2009, and after the launch of iPad in 2010, guess what… PSP will still be a flop.

7. Dannybuoy

I kinda agree. I am an iPhone fanatic. Love it. Not hugely into gaming on it though. Controls are a bit sucky on the kinds of games I play. Got a psp go and play on that instead mostly. I must say I much prefer a real analogue stick. I’m totally loving god of war chains of Olympus at the mo. Probably the best hand held game I’ve played for a long time

8. Razor

The difference is that Sony didn’t expect the Go to be a huge success. It’s very clearly their skunk works for a future DD console.

Although maybe Apple aren’t expecting huge sales for iPad. There’s certainly no need for the device.

9. sg1974

Sony says:

“Appleā€™s entrance into the portable gaming space has been a net positive for Sony,” said Koller. “When people want a deeper, richer console, they start playing on a PSP.”

VG247 reports:

“Sony says iPad will only cause gamers to flock to PSP.”

Might I suggest a title change for this article?

10. NoxNoctisUmbra

If I buy an iPad, it will be to do everything else then games.

11. sg1974

Ive just seen an Apple iPad advert which remarks on how amazing it is how they have fitted so much into such a small package.

Hmm. Fitted less funcionality than an iPhone into a form factor about four times bigger than an iPhone. Imppressive!

12. Dralen

I’m also an iPhone lover and I don’t really like it for gaming either, dunno why, but it always feels awkard for gaming. I love the iPhone because of its useful apps and internet access, nothing more.

13. Eregol

I can sort of see what Sony are saying.
    And although I agree that the iPad will suck for games, whether it will make people flock to the PSP is another thing entirely

14. CenoBit

No_PUDding…”best comment of the year” award!

15. Blerk

That’s one of the funniest things a Sony rep has said in a long time! :-D