Valve: Steam has over 25 million accounts, unit sales up 205%

Friday, 29th January 2010 17:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

steamlogo2

Valve has announced that Steam now boasts over 25 million accounts on the digital distribution service.

According to Valve, 2009 was a great year for the service as it saw “tremendous adoption” of the Steamworks suite and over 25 million active accounts, which is up 25 percent from 2008.

In addition, there are now over 10 million profiles in the Steam Community and the peak number of concurrent users eclipsed the 2.5 million mark during December, pushing Steam’s average monthly player minutes to more than 13 billion.

It was also revealed that Steam has over 1,000 games from over 100 developers and publishers up for grabs, with 2009 seeing the unit sales for the titles increase by more than 205 percent – marking the fifth straight year with over 100 percent year-over-year growth in unit sales.

“Steam turned five years old in March 2009,” said Valve’s Gabe Newell. “With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years — such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks — we’ve seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform.

“As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day.”

In 2009, the service got some big name on board with titles like Dragon Age: Origins Modern Warfare 2, Dawn of War II, and Empire: Total War along with DLC for numerous other titles.

Currently, Steam is participating in the PC Beta for BFBC2, and those that pre-order the game can get a key to it.

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com

1. Hunam

When you charge £1 – £2.50 for retail games, you can expect unit sales to go up.

2. Goliath

I have to admit, I’ve neglected my Steam account since I bought my next gen consoles a few years ago. I can’t remember the last time I logged into Steam.

3. blackdreamhunk

steam is so great i don’t need to pay $60 for game that is out at retail. I went nuts buying tons of games on boxing day it was great.

nothing beats $2 to $30 a game it’s a great bargin.

4. endgame

ok who was the moron who was saying that pc gaming is dying? lol!

5. blackdreamhunk

when game devs like for exmaple “infinty ward or epic games, ” make crappy games,I don’t feel so bad , because it’s not like I wasted $60 dallors over the game. the must I spent on it the game would be between $2 to $30.

I don’t feel rip off when pay $2 to 30 for a crappy game.

I really kind of like that!

6. deanimate

I recently used steam for the first time ever. Only to find some people to play solium Infernum with admittedly. Well, I did buy psychonauts for a quid to remove the restrictions.

7. MushroomStamp

I used to be an advocate of steam till 3 of the games I purchased in December won’t work.. but the retail versions did work (borrowed from friend). Steam won’t provide support for them and told me to contact the game developer. In this case the game was Crysis. SO, I contact the game developer and was told that because I can get the retail version to work it’s a Steam problem. aaaaand I went round and round with each pointing the finger… and me being out money on all 3 games because Steam doesn’t do refunds.

Also, Steam doesn’t support 64-bit. So some games that have 64 bit executables you are are lowered down to 32-bit. Not a big deal for some, others (like myself) aren’t happy about that.

For both of these reasons, I can never recommend using this service to anyone. Which is a shame becuase they have great “deals”… but how much of a deal is it, if the game won’t work.

8. blackdreamhunk

If game devs don’t fix their game it must they just want your money and don’t care. When it’s a $60 game your going to feel it. When it’s a $2 game your not going to feel as bad.

great thing about steam!