StarCraft II release to have both Mac and PC version on disc

Thursday, 28th January 2010 14:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

starcraftii231

According to a Blizzard Q&A over on the Battle.net forums, upon release, the StarCraft II DVD will contain both the PC and Mac versions of the game.

When asked by the community how it plans to release the title and if there would be a digital distribution option, this was the reply (via BigDownload):

“The StarCraft II installation DVD will include both PC & Mac versions of the game. Further details on digital download possibilities will be released as we get closer to the ship date.”

The ship date could be a while from now, though, as a specific date for the long-awaited RTS has yet to be announced – although Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime did assure investors back in November that it was still slated for the first-half of 2010.

All this goes hand-in-hand with Blizzard’s mantra, not to be pressured into releasing a game before it is finished and up to its standards.

We’ll just have to wait a bit longer is all.

1. Gekidami

Thats interesting. Never heard of a game doing that before. Odd that they seem unsure about digital though.

2. Quiiick

AFAIK “The Sims 3″ has PC & Mac versions on the same DVD as well.

3. Blerk

Spore too!

4. Eury

Isn’t that the case with every Blizzard release? I don’t have any discs at hand right now, but I’m pretty sure I have seen the Mac name on my Blizzard discs before.

5. Gekidami

Hum, then i guess its just me that didnt notice it.

6. Whizzo

Yeah Blizzard have been using dual format discs for quite a while.

7. JonFE

Why don’t they announce a release date and a Collector’s Edition package to get this over with? I’m getting impatient 8O

8. Syrok

Yeah, Blizzard has been doing that since the dawn of time. :)
    More companies should do that.

9. Hunam

Yeah, Blizzard have been great with this. Sims 3 and Spore as mentioned are other stars for it.

10. Mad-elph

Warcraft 3 had this, as it came out at the time when I moved from PC to Mac and therefore it was the only PC game I played for ages. 2nd Mac now and still haven’t bought any games for it. PS2/PS3 usership has filled my needs. But when companies do this I get excited. I have downloaded a ton of Mac demos, but never took the plunge for a game. I wonder why the companies making Mac games never brea even :P One day we will all be able to play together, and I might back into the computer ways…

11. mescalineeyes

this better not be using cider.

12. Hunam

In the past, and I assume here, all Blizzard games have native OSX support.

13. mescalineeyes

Please be right on this one, Hunam, I don’t want to dual boot.

14. Hunam

Blizzard are very strong supports of OSX. Even WoW runs native on OSX.

15. mescalineeyes

I guess Cider is just an EA thing then, right? Both BioShock and COD4 are native mac apps as well.

Oh well, here’s to hoping it stays that way. Fuck Cider.