Apple finally announces iPad

Wednesday, 27th January 2010 18:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

iPad

After weeks and months of speculation, Apple has finally revealed its tablet device known as iPad.

The conference involving Steve Jobs just wrapped up,

The company also revealed that over three billion downloads from users on the App Store, with over 140k apps on it.

Find the liveblog of choice from Engadget, who we also thank for the asset.

iPad is a half inch thick, weighs in at a whopping one-and-a-half pounds and as you can see, looks like a large iPhone with a nine-and-a-half inch wide multi-touch screen.

It used Apple’s 1 GZ A4 processor and comes with flash memory totals of 16, 32, or 64Gb with WiFi (including 802.11n)and Bluetooth capabilities with some models boasting 3G, while others won’t. 3G will run you $15 a month for up to 250Mb of data usage, with unlimited data plans running $30 a month.

Sans 3G, the different models will run as follows:

• 16Gb- $500
  • 32Gb -$600
  • 64Gb- $700

3G capability bumps the price of each model up $130 extra.

iPad is expected to be released in 60 days, with iPad 3g hitting in 90 days – neither are region locked, and will work worldwide.

Thanks, GamePro.

1. Hunam

iSlate was a better name.

2. ruckus

Just waiting to choke on the price…

3. Bleak Harvest

I bet female hygiene companies are kicking themselves now.

4. Eregol

Crap name, poor looks.
    Typical Apple.
    There’s been some really odd comments through the live feed as well. Controls for some games don’t seem to be reveolutionising anything.
    It just appears to be making things really fiddly.

5. ruckus

Wonder when this will release since the Apple store isn’t down.

6. Hunam

It’s just a big ipod touch. It runs the same apps on the same software. No flash support either it seems.

7. moeTi

iDontCare

8. ruckus

$499 though it could be worse. Just wonder what the sterling price will be.

$699 (64gb) is the real price ($829 if you want 3G)!

9. G1GAHURTZ

“So $499 for 16GB of iPad. That’s our base model. 32GB is $599, 64GB is $799. 3G models cost an extra $130. $629, 729, and 829 with 3G.”

10. ruckus

Nintendo watch out /yeah right…

11. G1GAHURTZ

That’s probably going to translate directly into pounds, I’d say…

Can’t see it being any cheaper than £400, anyway.

12. G1GAHURTZ

I’d like to see it on video, but it looks ugly in the pics.

Screen res. looks all messed up too. A huge screen with a handful of spaced out, tiny icons looks a bit pants.

13. Eregol

So, after all that, I have decided it is shit.

It’ll sell in it’s hundreds. But it is shit.

14. Monk

Ugly

15. Grimrita

i cant stop laughing at this pointless piece of shit. 1ghz ‘apple’ processor lol quality! Especially how Jobs claims that netbooks are slow. Even the junk from PC world/tesco will be faster than this

16. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I was excited about it it based on some of the concept stuff, but I’m not interested now.

Oh well… At least I should be happy, since I’ve just instantly saved myself about £400!

WOO HOO!

17. Robo_1

Nah, don’t see the pull of this. It doesn’t seem to bring anything new to the table, being nothing more than a large HD iPod. I expected a lot more.

18. ruckus

Storage kills this for me (as well as the probable captive battery).

19. Psychotext

iPad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18

20. Dr.Ghettoblaster

This should have come BEFORE the iPhone.

21. Bulk Slash

Seems to be a bit of a fail overall. There’s no killer app games, the storage is too small for an HD device (dunno the actual screen res, probably 720p), and no support for Adobe Flash. I’d say you’re much better off with a netbook.

22. G1GAHURTZ

23. SniperWolf

so it is
    iBalls
    or
    iHairyBalls
    or
    yep yeah yeah me and balls
    drunk me sorry
    im going to sleep now
    iSleep
    bye

24. Zarckan

Flash will come, you can almost guarantee it.

As for 3g, TBH, 3G is a total waste, what about Edge!? Plus there are enough open wifi spots around that it’ll be fine, 64GB Wifi – SOLD!

25. polygem

looks like these ´digital screen picture frames´don´t know how you call them—so if it sucks you can still nail it on the wall and use it as decoration…great.

26. ruckus

C4 news stated ‘upto £500′. I doubt it.

27. Hunam

“Flash will come, you can almost guarantee it.”

They said that for the iphone! I remain unconvinced.

28. Stephany Nunneley

Updated the post with relevant information.

29. Dannybuoy

I think it looks great. My iPhone is good for certain things but I’ve never really been a big iPhone gamer. I think the bigger screen will really allow for better visuals and control placement. It could be a winner.

30. revolting

I have nothing against the product itself, but the name sounds disconcertingly like a lady’s hygiene product.

31. Stephany Nunneley

All I know, is that thanks to this oversize iPod Touch, the internet broke, and is still spinning slowing here in the States for no reason at all. Talk about anti-climatic.

/channels inner Chuck Heston

Thanks Steve. You Maniac! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

/releases Chuck Heston

32. Stephany Nunneley

@ revolting: MAD Tv – iPad (done long ago)

33. NiceFellow

What, not one ‘who shrunk Steve Jobs’ comment?

Anyway, who shrunk Steve Jobs and made him hold up an iTouch?

Surely the ‘hot run’ is about to come unstuck with that big looking baby?

34. Hunam

I’m sure a few women from DVD’s I’ve seen could fit iPad in their woman parts.

35. Stephany Nunneley

\o/

36. 2EX08

…looks more like an over-sized iPhone…

37. Gekidami

It does. I bet its got just as many limitations as one to, probably will need hacking before its even slightly interesting.

38. Hunam

We’ve got you covered their Geki, over at eurogamer we are scoffing at the lack of multi-tasking!

39. Psychotext

Will see how the non gimped v2 works out… because we all know it’s coming. ETA? When all the zealots have got their new shinysparkly purchased.

40. DaMan

iMeh.

41. Bleak Harvest

iPass, thx.
    In other news, it seems that Twitter agreed with me. iTampon is now one of the highest trending topics. Good on ya, internets.

42. DrDamn

@Eregol
    “poor looks. Typical Apple.”

Er … ok cos that’s the general consensus on Apple stuff isn’t it? Overpriced and gimped, typical Apple yes.

@Grimrita
    RE: Processor. The problem with the junk from Tesco/PC World is not the speed of the processor, it’s the OS.

My general impressions are disappointing. It is just a bigger iPhone in essence. Not much more. It does look very nice in use mind, which I guess is the point.

43. DrDamn

@Grimrita
    Just to re-iterate this CPU point. Engadget and Gizmodo have both put up hands on impressions highlighting the strong and weak points.

From Engadget … “The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew.”

From Gizmodo … “Apple didn’t really sell this point, but it’s the single biggest benefit of the iPad: speed. It feels at least a generation faster than the iPhone 3GS. Lags and waits are gone, and the OS and apps respond just as quickly as you’d hope. Rotating between portrait and landscape modes, especially, is where this new horsepower manifests in the OS.”

44. Grimrita

@ Drdamn – reviews/previews mean nothing to me and being a ‘generation faster than the iphone’ doesnt impress me at all.

45. reask

Jobs is a really clever guy and Gates stole his ideas to create windows so I would be optimistic about the future of this product.

46. DrDamn

@Grimrita
    Ok – ignore balanced impressions by people who have used it and stick to your poorly founded ideas about CPU speed then.

47. DaMan

I just don’t need this thing.

48. Psychotext

Have you watched the vid of it in use DrDamn? Quicker than an iPhone it may be (I don’t have one)… but I wouldn’t call it quick.

Press -> Delay -> Action

49. DrDamn

@PT
    Yeah I watched the vids. What are you talking about in the delay? Launch of apps or apps in use. Apps in use like the photos, browsing, books, video etc looks zippy to me.

50. Psychotext

You can’t see that? It does it multiple times in the first 20 seconds (and in many other places throughout the vid).

Watch as the buttons are pressed and it thinks about it before pulling up menus or changing the screen. Like I said, I’ve not used an iPhone so it might be virtually instant compared to that… but if I went from my PC to the iPad the little delays would irritate me.

51. DrDamn

The Presentation App does look a little slow – partly due to the bloke demoing it clearly not knowing what he’s doing. The Engadget guy also spends a lot of the time pressing all over the place during some parts. Look at stuff like the photo app and how smoothly and quickly it handles the pictures. The CPU – which was the point of discussion – is clearly capable.

52. sg1974

LOL, the iFanboys at iGizmodo are still wetting their pants – one of them has called this the “death of the laptop”, I kid you not.

Its so bad its freaking hilarious. But remember folks: this will save the written word!

I just cant stop laughing…..

53. sg1974

@reask,

You’re believing a bullshit meme. Jobs stole his ideas from those clever IBM chaps at PARC so stop giving him the credit.

54. The Hindle

So is this a new games console or what, the fourth main console to the other 3 etc

55. DrDamn

@The Hindle
    It kind of sits in a strange place games console wise. It’s portable, but not pocketable. So one of the big advantages something like an iPhone has is that it’s always with you – not the case here. It should benefit from the publishing process which has given the iPhone a vast wealth of incredibly cheap games though. I’m not entirely convinced.

56. Eregol

It’s crap.

You can read books, but it’s like looking at a monitor, so prolonged reading will give you headaches.
    You can listen to music, but it’s not really small enough to be portable to make it more viable than an ipod.

The 499, 599 and 699 price points are only with wifi. If you want to get internet anywhere you’ll need to stump up 130 extra for each memory iteration.

16, 32 and 64gb. Awfully stingy with that memory aren’t they? You can get an ipod classic with over 100gb. Why not use that?

The gaming, oh dear….
    ‘Look, you can interact in ways never before seen, like using 3 fingers to open a door.’ What else can I use 3 fingers for I wonder?
    ‘In a driving game, you can touch the rear view mirror to view behind you (what this means for your main view, and the other controls that you leave so you can touch the mirror is not explained)’
    (They may not have been the exact words from Gizmodo, but you get the idea).

57. DaMan

for err, ‘laptop gaming’ I’d rather buy that Pandora console than this thing. way more impressive actually.

58. DaMan

btw Eregol what do you mean “prolonged reading will give you headaches”? these days I read books only in pdf.

59. Hunam

I’ve never read an ebook to be honest. I still like a nice hardback tbh.

60. DrDamn

@Eregol
    Books seemed like one of the better apps – but it was very woolly on details and iBooks won’t actually be ready outside the US on launch.

The extra for 3G is too steep agreed.

Memory wise it is very expensive – but a iPod classic uses a HDD not solid state doesn’t it?

Gaming will gain from the extra screen size – hands getting in the way of the view is the biggest problem with touch screen gaming. It’s not the most flexible input system though – great for some stuff, very poor for others.

“Apple will be following this up with a second generation version within a year, and it needs it.”

I think that is a given but agree it needs it. Though most of my beefs could be solved in software rather than hardware.

61. Psychotext

“I’ve never read an ebook to be honest. I still like a nice hardback tbh.”

I’ve read a few on proper ebook readers with “electronic ink” tech, and they’re pretty good. I can’t say I’d be comfortable reading for any prolonged duration from an LCD screen though.

But yeah, hardback for the win. :)

62. VIP0R

Any News on the Phantom Lapboard? =D

63. Blerk

Very swish, as usual. And… er… I can’t imagine why I would ever want one. The Apple fanboys in the office are basically circle-jerking around a monitor in the corner, though. I daren’t look.

64. NGCes26294BIV

This is, by all accounts, a useless piece of kit.

65. reask

sg1974 said:

@reask,

My memory is not the best unfortunately but I had to read a couple of books for a OU course many moons ago one of which was where wizards stay up late about the development of the Internet.
    I cannot remember the other book.
    I know what my conclusion was after reading them so I stand by my earlier comment.

66. DarkElfa

All of those fucking tech fag writers are having a baby over this damned thing. I guess they really do want to live in Apple’s Orwellian future of absolute control.

67. Eregol

Stephen Fry is the worst at the moment.
    He’s practically flooded his abode with spunk.

68. sg1974

@Reask

I never fail to be amused at how people are utterly incapable of accepting that Bill Gates “stole” nothing off Jobs and Wozniak that those two didn’t first rip off from PARC and the Xerox Star themselves.

As for those boffins at Xerox Palo Alto (later sold to IBM) who did invent all those things which became MAC and Windows(building on Stanford Uni’s Doug Engelbart’s excellent work in the 60s – after Jobs was barely done sucking on his Momma’s tits), well, I’m not so sure they find it so amusing.

Apple didn’t come up with the mouse idea or first pair it with a personal computer either, contrary to the insistence of far too many. I’ll give readers two clues who did: 1) a well-known US west-coast University; 2) a US hardware manufacturer known mostly for its copying machines. I see a pattern emerging….

69. sg1974

I wonder if Steven Fry will wet his pants over this thing announced two weeks ago to utter silence: