Nudity in Dante’s Inferno part of the “fantastical” context of Hell

Tuesday, 26th January 2010 21:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

dantesinferno

Jonathan Knight, executive producer for Dante’s Inferno, has told VG247 that the nudity and large demon anatomy in the game is all part of the “fantastical” context of Dante Aligeri’s Hell.

Speaking with us during a round-table interview yesterday evening, we asked Knight about the inherit nudity in the game.

What with the graphically horrible fate of Beatrice at the beginning, the oversize lady boss with “huge tracts of land”, and the mind boggling “bit” belonging to the large demon-boss, we were curious as to why media outlets had not reacted to such scenes like with BioWare games.

“Once the game is out there and more are playing we might see more reaction I think,” said Knight.

“That the game is fantastical in nature, and Dante’s original vision is also very fantastical in nature, I think people ‘get that’, and we took those concepts and put them into what we are doing with the videogame version.

“I think if we didn’t push the boundaries with the imagery it would not be about Hell and our audience would be disappointed. We are exploring that vision, and it’s appropriate to the storyline and exaggerated by the fantastical context of the setting.

“We feel good about it, because instead of feeling more like real life, it’s a fantasy, and that’s why people are more accepting is my guess.”

Dante’s Inferno is out next month on PS3, PSP and Xbox 360.

1. manamana

hell. shure. sex sells, eh?

2. McLovin85

It’s a bit of a joke to be honest and i find it quite insulting that the Games Industry is always subjected to this crap. Who cares about this stuff, it’s their product they have the right to be as creatively minded as possible.

I didn’t see James Cameron having to defend Titanic when Kate Winslet went nude. Or any director in the history of horror movies having to defend the over-use of gore and tits in their movies.

No offense to VG247, but if journalists keep on interviewing developers and asking questions like ‘Does this game have boobies in it (hehehehe)’ or ‘So when i use a shotgun in this game does his whole face just get FUBAR’d’ it doesn’t really inspire any hope of people taking this industry seriously and not thinking that it’s just aimed at and run by 8 year olds.

3. Stephany Nunneley

My actual question was this:

“Dante’s Inferno contains quite a bit of nudity and considering the media’s obsession with it, why has there not been controversy surrounding such content in this game, like there was with BioWare’s titles?”

Nothing about oh “giggle giggle there’s tits” tee hee oh my a big demon cock – how risque. LOL!!!!

Just “why” is this not as controversial as these “sex scenes” in ME1 and ME2 and DAO. He answered nicely as well. It’s all due to the fantasy aspect of Hell in it – not actual renditions of folks going horizontal.

4. McLovin85

Ok, i suppose trying to find out why there hasn’t been such an uproar in the media is a good question. But my point still stands of why there is even an uproar in the first place. I know games like GTA with it’s Hot Coffee etc. thrive on controversy but it’s the media that gives them the attention. I’m just curious as to why the games industry is still scrutinized so much compared to other industries. Surely people should be used to it by now, i mean they’ve been around for a while now.

5. The_Deleted

I think the media sees the fantasy element as just that, and there’s no real controversy to hang a boycott on. Games like Inferno or God Of War, goat slaughter aside, are not deemed a threat because of the ridiculous scenario the violence hangs on.
    While games like GTA or Modern Warfare 2 are seen as simulations of real life and are, obviously, only there to teach you how to kill in the real world.

however, Inferno is yet to be widely released, so there is plenty of time for the media to get an arse on about slaughtering babies and raping a religion.

And lets not forget the media’s lack of interest in GTA’s BoGT and it’s full frontal nudity…in a gay storyline. Maybe it has moved on to pastures new and gaming is not the threat we, as gamers, wish it still were. Like old punks who cannot quite grasp that the Sex Pistols don’t threaten anyone.

6. McLovin85

Fair point. Didn’t realise GTA BoGT had full frontal nudity (i only own a PS3).
    i reckon ur right though as just thinking about it i can only really come up with controversial games that have been simulations of real life. Hence why ‘Heavy Rain’ is also partially being discussed because of its nudity.

i’m afraid i’m going to have to agree with u on this though. i was wrong about this. let’s hope it continues to be a non-issue in the future.

7. Hunam

I don’t recall seeing nudity in BoGT, there was in TLATD though, but in a none homosexual way.

8. The_Deleted

There was a scene in TBoGT (I think, I may be confusing the two games) where the main guy had to visit someone at a massage parlour.
    Admittedly, there were no gay sex scenes, but since when has that ever got in the way of a good story according to the media?

9. Freek

Probably has more to do with the fact that the media is shallow as hell, and now considers this to be “old news”. Last year it would have warped your childrens minds, now it’s fine.

10. OlderGamer

The thing that mad me upset, was when we downloaded the demo of Dante, it didn’t have warnings. It didn’t tell us before we downloaded it, it ddn’t tell us before we started playing it.

We downloaded it in our living room, with teh wife and two kids sitting right there. The game play was fantastic, the graphics were very eye poping. And when the extended nudity began, my wife truned three shades of red, and both of my teen boys got up and left the room. They were all unconfortable.

Video games don’t always get played in a vacum. Sometimes a little sister walks into the room, or your grandmother is over for a visit, or you mom is folding laundry in the living room. I understand that many of you must play your games in the privacy of your parents dark basement or at the lest behind your closed bedroom doors. But not all of us do.

I have no problem is Mrated games. But there is a heck of a difference between Dante and say Halo. The demo should have been properly labeled and we would have been informed and could have made a better descioson.

I am amazed at how fast some gamers rally to the cry to defend a games RIGHT to display nudity, sex, and over the top gore/violence. I am sure I sound like one of those antu gamers you make fun of, but I am not. I am just in a different location in my life then many of the gamers that rally for such causes. So I see things differently. To me, there is no need. It doesn’t enhance the gameplay at all. All it does is elicit a Beavis and Butthead(or s South Park esk) reaction from teen to young 20 yr old males.

*Does his best Beavis and Butthead voice* he hee he he like they showed um boobies Beavis. Like Cool, he he hehee. Lets watch it again.

I understand the apeal and I fully understand why it sells. But it is getting out of hand. There so many reasons. I could write a wall of text but I won’t.

The highlights are:

Games are not movies. Games are sold on the same shelfs, when was the last time you saw an adult movie playing in the same theater as the newest Harry Potter film? Its a different enviroment.

Parents, by and large, are extremly ignorant about video games. they don’t understand them or play them. They remember Mario and Pacman. When was the last time Mario and Peach had sex in a game?

Ratings are inconsistant and often bought/negotiated. Ratings boards don’t play games all of the way through, and often they won’t play sequels at all, instead they give the sequel the same raiting as the prequel. Reviewers rely on game snipets and summeries given to them by the game devs/pubs themself. The result is inconsistancy all over the place. GTA and Halo have the same ratings … should they?

Parents have become desensitized to screening. There is so much thrown at parents about do this don’t do that and so much of it is rubbish(to barrow a phrase), that when what games are right for your kids and what ones are NOT, parents have heard it all obefore and tune it out. The message isn’t getting thru.

Tyr as you might in your home, kids are exposed to said games at friends houses, school(believe it or not at our local highschool, they take their xboxes in afterhours), and other places that you, as a parent can NOT control. Of course you could be one of those parents that goes over bored and keeps your kids in a bubble as much as possible, and shields them from unapropiate content, of course doing so you will also shield them from friends and activities, isolate them from anything remotly close to a social life and end up doing more harm then good.

This is a very deep well of conversation. It is not shallow and not easily solved. Right now game devs/pubs are doing what they want. They continue to push and take small steps “Forward”. Why? Because it sells. Because they can. And when anyone stands up and say hey wait a second here, they cry about their freedoms, and certian demographics of gamers rally to that cry. Well I say stop being a tool(they are using you to make money), and understand that there are more fish in the fish tank then just yourself.

I am not uptight, well maybe a little – I an American after all :) But I am in a differnt place then some of you, so I see it differently. Someday you will be there too. Maybe. And for the record I don’t have any problem with Mrated games, but I would like a better raitings system. And I would like those games to be handled differently.

11. Blerk

Without wishing to offend, Oldy, I always find it difficult to grasp why people are fine with their games offering shooting people in the face, ripping out spines and slow-motion splatter-gore moments, but apparently can’t handle a pair of naked boobies (steady!).

To me, the content of Dante’s would have been M-rated without the nudity. Anyone who’s not old enough to see nakedness is surely also not old enough to see extreme violence?

12. Eregol

OG
    Ever think about scaling back your posts a bit?
    I mainly look here at work and never find time to read your posts.
    Surely you can say what you need to say in fewer words rather than so many?

13. mington

i’m also at work, but i don’t do a great deal, so a nice long post to whittle away the time is perfect for me, keep it up, have you ever thought about adding diagrams :)

14. Gheritt White

We need Pie Charts!

15. OlderGamer

I agree Blerk, and have no answer for you. Other then pointing out the way it effects youth(nudity vs voilence). Particulary there maturaty(or complete lack there of) in handling it. Also, my wife has a pair of said boobies, and feels exposed and on display. And thus feels judged and very uncomfortable. No one is judging her ability to rip out someones spine. She, we, don’t have body parts that are acoitated with “shooting people in the face” or “slow motion gore”.

I think it is the personial inferances and conections involved. Like I said, I have no idea why it bother me, her or so many other people. I do, but I can’t articulate it.

As for the voilance I think people are greatly desensintized. From Road Runner vs Wiley Cyotte to Music, News, TV shows, Movies, to yes Video Games. I just think it has to do with the personal conections of it. Its like having that uncomfortable “Talk” with your kids about sex, every time they play a game. It just makes people feel out of sorts and uncomfortable.

Games(in general, that feature sex, not entirly sure of Dante in this fashion I haven’t played it) like that also objectify women. I would rather they respect women then just view them as having a single purpose(to turn them on and get them off). Games aren’t the only media that do this obviosly, like some said Sex Sells.

I don’t have to like it. I just also take issue with gamers dismissing it as pft ubber conservitive non gamers not “getting it”. I just see it as more then that.

16. Blerk

In Europe the PEGI ratings have a series of icons which also depict the type of content within the game – violence, language, sexual, drug use, etc. So you get your age rating on the front and a bundle of icons on the back if you need more information. Perhaps something along those lines would be useful for the American market too?

17. OlderGamer

We get something like that. Words, no pics. But what we don’t get, and it is what got me going with this title, was any info regaurding the demo. It didn’t, and I think most demos don’t get rated by the esrb, either that or in this case none of the descriptions as to why it was Mrated were there.

If I had known there would be the nudity in the demo I would have avoided it. When I went to go to the games website/forums to complain, I was late. A ton of threads were already there asking for the nudity to be an option we could toggle on or off.

18. horgin34

I know I’m posting this way after the discussion is over, but I felt nothing had actually been resolved.

OlderGamer I agree that Demo’s should have ratings associated with them, and I understand your frustration about having your family in the room. You mentioned that games are sold on the same shelves as movies but that you don’t see (at least rarely) ‘adult’ movies on the same shelves. I wanted to point out that you do see R rated movies on the same shelf though – maybe not the same shelf as the kid and toddler movies and TV shows but they are there, just as easy to choose and they can contain extreme violence and nudity just like video games. Also Movies don’t get viewed in vacuums, you could be watching a movie that might have some adult themes when all of the sudden a young child could walk through at the most inopportune time. I remember sometimes my mother would be watching a show in say HBO, a show that was rated Mature, I would sometimes need to come in to ask her something, and somehow every time I did there would be someone cussing or some other adult content happening in the show. I didn’t plan to go in at those times, it just happened.

You also mentioned parents being desensitized and how they should handle the raising of their children, now this is a sticky subject indeed, and I hate to sound like any number of the young gamers who will whole-heatedly defend the games we play, but shouldn’t it be the parents job to at least have a fair amount of knowledge about what it is their children are playing or watching. Yes not all games need nudity in them, and there are of course games that revolve around such themes (aka the Leisure Suit Larry series) but I don’t think a game should be attacked for including nudity. Also I find the who nudity debate to be very sexist…In one of the expansions for GTA IV there’s is a full-frontal male nude scene which has garnered little to no attention, yet you can bet your entire life savings that if the game had included a pair of naked tits the media would have been on that like stink on a horse. Once again when there are complaints on objectifying women (unless it’s a sex scene, but that’s slightly different) it’s always people complaining about females being very scantily clad and being disproportionate to real women. I saw comment for this same game on another website talking about how that when his wife saw this demo she felt very “underwhelming” was the word I think he used and “insecure” but men are constantly shown images of unattainable levels of (like god of war) fitness…yet that’s never given the time of day, we men are just supposed to be immune to feeling like crap after viewing such images.

Now I don’t mean my previous statements to be an argument for the game developers to tone down the characters in their games, I personally don’t have a problem when playing a game that features a super-buff and super-strong lead character. I think ultimately that parents should be held responsible for what their kids consume (yes of course they might see some material that you don’t deem acceptable at a friends house, but surely so did you when you were a kid) Maybe there does need to be some more consistency with the ratings, yes maybe it’s wrong that halo and GTA IV have the same rating, but maybe Halo should really be rated something lower instead of implying that GTA IV should be rated higher. If the developers make an artistic decision to include certain material in a game, they shouldn’t be demonized for it, if you feel they should be then you should have the same feelings towards the movie industry.