Kojima: Peace Walker could have been Metal Gear Solid 5

Friday, 22nd January 2010 21:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

kojima

Hideo Kojima has revealed in the latest issue of OPM UK that if Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker wasn’t on PSP, it would have been a numbered title in the series, and become Metal Gear Solid 5.

“Since it is on PSP, I did not officially number it,” said Kojima. “But [with] the game design, story, number of staff and budget-you can say that this is a big project. It would’ve been number 5.

“It’s not a side story or a spin-off. It’s not like Portable Ops or Acid.”

He further reiterated his director and writer’s roles with the game.

“I am deeply involved and this is the next Metal Gear.”

Shame about his teamwork skills, though.

New shots and details were released on the game yesterday.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Peace Walker is out in Japan on March 18, with a US release on May 25 and releases in the UK on May 27.

Kojima is also acting in a producer only role for the other MGS title in development at Kojima Productions, Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

There’s been no word on that since its reveal at E3, although rumours suggest it could be out in time by Christmas.

Via TGL.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

I dont know why MGS exists on PSP? I love my PSP but I wanna play it on bus, or during free break at college or whatever, last thing i wanna do is play LONG campaigns of MGS with 2nd analog missing on the PSP. ehhh pass for me.

2. jldoom

To bring the greatness of MGS to the portable crowd? Idk, but I’ll definitely grab this one and brush off the dust on my psp.

3. Gekidami

What did MGS4 do? Like 4 million in a month wasnt it? Why kojima decided to make this ‘near official sequel’ on PSP and miss out on doing those types of numbers again is mind-boggling.
    Then again PSP sales have been pretty good lately so who knows…

4. Psychotext

I think it might have had to do with the insane push Sony decided to give the PSP to rejuvenate it. You can see from the list of games which came out last year and are coming out at the start of this year that they got the chequebook out in a big way.

5. zoopdeloop

Japanese gamers have a much bigger thing with handhelds than home consoles.It will definitely sale greatly there (same sales with what MGS4 had over there or even more)add all other sales from the West

6. Psychotext

I doubt it’ll pull ~500k in its first week in Japan zoop (What MGS IV did). But who knows.

7. Yoshi

Even though this game looks sexy im still not guna buy a psp when it only hav 1 analog and games like these, it just feels strange playin them without a 2nd analog