NSMB Wii LtD numbers more then Mario Galaxy, says NPD

Thursday, 21st January 2010 13:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nsmbw

NPD has revealed that New Super Mario Bros. Wii’s lifetime-to-date numbers are more then Super Mario Galaxy’s.

So far, NMSBW has sold 4.2 million copies since its release in November last year, while Supe Mario Galaxy has sold 4.1 million units since it launched in November 2007.

The platformer sold 2.8 million units in the December NPD.

In the two months it has been on sale, its sold over 2.5 million units in Europe, and was the third best-selling title of 2009 in Japan with over 2.4 million units.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Gheritt White

Has anybody actually finished it, though?

2. onlineatron

Look I havent’ play NSMBW yet… but I’m gonna to go ahead and assume it’s not as good as the best game this generation (Galaxy).

This is a sad day…

3. Blerk

I’ve been playing some more Galaxy of late at the request of the kids and I still don’t see what all the fuss is about. It’s competent and occasionally amusing, but god damn does it have frustrations in spades. And whoever designed the swimming control scheme needs to be shot. Twice.

4. onlineatron

No one has ever, ever designed good swimming sections in platform games, i’d say Galaxy has some of the best.

It’s hard to argue my feelings for the game across to you as I can’t really explain them, not even to my self.

I think of why I enjoyed it so much and I only can ever come up with ‘Damn it was fun!’.

5. Dannybuoy

Galaxy was pretty tricky in places. Sometimes I’d be ready to smash disc up. Fuming at my poor reactions. All I could imagine Was Nintendo coders sitting there in the HQ laughing at me

6. DrDamn

NSMBW has the advantage of being more accessible. I thought SMG controlled quite badly to be honest – combination of camera angle and the settings. As a result I found it quite frustrating like Blerk. LBP gets lambasted for it but no one dare suggest a Mario game controls a bit poo.

7. Blerk

The camera’s terrible at times. I find myself pining for a second analogue stick. Although I’d probably need a third hand as well then. I’m sure it’d come in useful for other stuff.

8. onlineatron

Wow, I didn’t expect so many negative reactions to Galaxy!

I honestly love it in every way except from the repeating bosses near the end.

@5 Really?! I thought it was a tad too easy.

9. Psychotext

“Really?! I thought it was a tad too easy.”

I’d agree. I didn’t like the game though, and whilst I finished it, it’s the first Mario I didn’t 100% complete.

10. elronathon

I absolutely loved Galaxy, one of my favourite games ever. Such excellent atmosphere, music and really imaginative world design.

I got 120 stars as Mario but only about half of them as Luigi so far…might got back and properly 100% it one of these days

11. Bulk Slash

I never managed to get into Galaxy, I played it for a bit then lost interest. I tried again recently but the unskippable cut-scene at the start that goes on for about 10 minutes pissed me right off. Why does it need so much story? All I need to know is Bowser has Peach (again) and that there’s a small chance Mario will get lucky with the princess if he saves her (Mario should have realised by now it’s not gonna happen).

Conversely I’m about 70% through NSMB Wii, I’ve been taking my time with each level hunting out the three hidden coins. Even when you find the deviously hidden ones it can still be a challenge to get them. I still much prefer Mario World, but it’s nice to play some new levels with Yoshi.

12. OlderGamer

I love LOVE NSMB. Really, best Mario game since the SNES.

I felt the game was at times chalanging but it never felt frustrating. The controls are spot on. The graphics are bright and colorful. The stages are laid out well. The new flyinf hat is great. Whats not to love, it is everything that made Mario awesome to begin with. This was my vote for Game of the Year last year. Sure beats another genric FPS that will remain nameless.

I never liked the 3D marios. Any of them. They all have the same problems, slugish control, bad camera angles, and lower end graphics. Somethings just don’t translate well from 2D to 3D and the platformer is one of them. Not only do they have the troubles above, but the game play pace slows way down from 2D to 3D. Mario World, NSMB and the rest of the 2D fare all feature pretty fast paced run and jump game play. I find most 3D Marios to be more thinky, full of puzzles, and much more deliberate and slower. Its just too much fun to fly by the seat of your pants when playing Mario. To me that where a great deal of the fun comes from.

This was a great game. I am also looking forward to the New 2D Sonic, as well as the new 2D Bonk games that should be out this year. So long as they keep these games on consoles instead of handheld exclusive, I will be a very happy Oldergamer.

13. Bringit

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is an amazing game. Was really hard though.