Former Titan Quest devs working on new Diablo-style RPG

Thursday, 21st January 2010 23:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

grimdawn

Crate Entertainment has announced its currently at work on a new action-RPG similar in style to Diablo called Grim Dawn.

Formerly team members at Iron Lore, the creators of Titan Quest, the game’s in the early stages of development, but when complete with have skill trees, exploration and a heavy emphasis on loot.

The game uses an “improved version of the Iron Lore engine and toolset” which was used to create Titan Quest.

With Grim Dawn, Crate’s attempting to “better perfect the magical formula of exploration, character advancement, and loot collection pioneered by Diablo”.

Here’s the blurb:

Players will be thrust into the dark, war-torn world of Cairn where a once proud empire has been brought to ruin and the human race driven to the edge of extinction. Cairn has become ground zero of an eternal war between two otherworldly powers, one seeking to use human bodies as a resource, the other intent upon destroying the human race before that can happen. This cataclysmic war has not only decimated human civilization but is warping the very fabric of reality and, in its wake, giving life to new horrors.

Currently, its planned for digital distribution on PC and the team’s taking pre-orders now – which could get your name put in the credits.

Hopefully, some screens will be released for it soon.

1. Hunam

Hopefully they take some lessons from Torchlight in making the game fun and accessible. Titan Quest was a top game but it was a little set in it’s ways and a little too much for me to hack (geddit) for my first foray into the Diablo mould where Torchlight was just brilliant and caught me from the get go.

2. Stephany Nunneley

I liked Titan Quest too. Haven’t had time to play Torchlight yet.

3. Hunam

I couldn’t quite figure out the ebb and flow with TQ. Torchlight is a big randomly generated dungeon. You know exactly what to do and it’s all very obvious. TQ the big over arching quests and side quests that don’t have a tracker with a big fat overworld to run around was just a little too much for my feeble brain to handle. It just felt that the direction was lacking.

Give me a big tower/dungeon any day of the week tbh.

4. El_MUERkO

Combine Diablo/Titan Quest/Torchlight with the control system and combat of Spartan: Total Warrior and I’ll play it but I have learned from playing those games is that mashing left click gets fucking boring fast!

5. Hunam

Don’t play as a warrior then. Maybe a mage summoner, where you have to balance spells, and pets with nary a left click in site!

Well, quite a few, more for selecting rather than stabbing.

6. Blerk

I liked the demo of Torchlight but I worried that my kit wouldn’t be up to rendering the later levels so I didn’t risk buying it. I was already having some framerate issues before the end of the demo, even with everything turned down to ‘netbook’ mode. Which means my PC must be worse than a netbook. Oh, the humanity! :-(

7. Gheritt White

Huzzah – the kids from Iron Lore have secured a second chance! This has really brightened up my morning :)

8. SchafferFX

They did a reasonable job of TQ. I can’t see why they shouldn’t do better this time.

9. Stephany Nunneley

YAY! The guys finally put screens for this up! Granted it was ages ago, but FireFall got me to thinking about it.