STO beta demand “crushed” expectations, says Cryptic

Tuesday, 19th January 2010 11:25 GMT By Patrick Garratt

startrekonline11

Cryptic’s claimed Star Trek Online beta numbers have boldly gone where they didn’t expect them to.

“Reality has exceeded even our wildest expectations,” said the company, speaking in a State of the Game post on the MMO’s site.

“We looked at numbers from Closed Beta, numbers from games we’ve worked on in the past, and some numbers that float around the games industry. Based on those numbers, we predicted that about 65% of the keys we generated would eventually turn into active players (some keys never get delivered, others are lost in spam boxes, some are never redeemed, etc.).

“And, we predicted about 1/6 of those redeemed keys would turn into players that game at the same time. It’s what we call our concurrent users or CCU, for short.

“The actual numbers crushed our predictions.”

The developer didn’t go on to say what the “actual numbers” were, unfortunately.

The open beta started last Tuesday, on January 12.

The game itself goes live on February 2.

1. Gekidami

I was put off by the beta, to much instancing and low amounts of players in any given area. This isnt an MMO in my opinion.

2. jamjam

Gotta say, I thought this meant that it had gone badly. Having read the actual post from Cyptic it seems quite the opposite:

“Where’s Sulu?
    The first week of Open Beta has been amazing!

We have seen more signups and players than we ever imagined we could.”

Haven’t played it myself though a few friends seem interested

3. Whizzo

I’d be playing it a lot more if they’d been able to cope with the load (my Fed character is currently LTC 13 with three ships), I’ve been enjoying it a ridiculous amount and I’ve been playing MMOs since Meridian 59.

4. OlderGamer

Whizzo, Does this game game have 30hp ToFers? Thats what made M59 so amazingly awesome. You have no idea how much I miss them. Not even WoW can match that run and gun PvP experience that was M59.

5. Stephany Nunneley

5 hours in – I cannot seem to get a handle on controlling the ship. Also, it looks and plays just like Champions.

6. Gekidami

One hand on the mouse to steer the ship with both buttons pressed down, the other on the number pad to fire weapons… And a third arm you need to grow to manage the power to your shields.

I never played Champions but on STO’s forums i’ve seen alot of people say the same thing, its apparently quite a negative remark from what i’ve seen.

7. Mauller

I’ve been playing this for probably 25+ hours now and I’m really enjoying it. There are some very obvious issues with the game but over all I think it’s great.It could just be my desire for space combat talking though.

Ground combat is extremely prone to glitches at the moment and severe pathing problems that need to be solved before launch.

In terms of the comparison to Champions, they use the same graphics engine and a similar character creation and UI. The ground combat is similar to Champions I suppose but then it can be similar to any MMO where you spam combat abilities.

8. Whizzo

WASD to steer, Q & E to control speed, if you’re on your first ship, set your forward and rear phasers to auto fire by right clicking on them in the weapons display, manually fire photon torpedoes when they’re in arc and shields are going down, number keys for your own abilities, use your mouse to control camera, power allocation, specific targeting (rather than just tabbing to nearest enemy) and clicking on bridge officer abilities and it’s involved but quite possible to do with just the one pair of hands.

Using a mouse with a decent amount of buttons helps as well.

9. Gekidami

I guess i could have messed around with the controls and mapped some to my mouse. Though i was so uninterested by the game i didnt really think to much about it. On its own i guess its ok but not as an MMO, most of the time i felt like i was playing a simple multiplayer mode from an SP game. I’m not willing to pay a monthly fee for that.
    It has exactly the same problems as AoC in the end, from what i’ve heard of Champions thats just how Cryptic make their games though. Think i’ll avoid their future stuff.

10. DarkElfa

I already bought my lifetime subscription. That said, its still glitchy as hell ans Cryptic has their work cut out for them to have it ready in 2 weeks.

11. Stephany Nunneley

I think inverting my axis will help with ship steering, but I cannot press both buttons on my mouse to move and steer and the like, with any MMO without causing some rubber band effects on this laptop.

I don’t think she can take much more, Jim. She doesn’t have the powerrrrr and canna handle the pressurrr.