Report – No new Half-Life this year

Tuesday, 19th January 2010 07:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Episode Two

Game Informer’s apparently saying that anyone praying to see Half Life 2: Episode Three this year may want to start your crying: it ain’t happening.

The mag’s latest issue says there isn’t going to be a Half-Life release at all this year.

The third chapter of the HL2 saga is now long overdue: Episode Two released in late 2007 as both a separate expansion on Steam and part of The Orange Box for PC, 360 and PS3.

Last year, Valve’s Gabe Newell said that development was still ongoing on Ep Three.

He wouldn’t go further then that, though.

We’ll email Valve about it. But needless to say we want to see this now.

E3 or nothing.

Thanks, CB.

1. Yoshi

They really are takin the piss with this now =/
    They say they guna bring episodes out to make it quicker than makin a whole new game and they take the same amount of time to do the episodes =/ they should have just kept it as half-life 3, new engine and could have released it this year to make it a 6year gap

2. Freek

They’re probably not going to call this “Episode 3″ anymore, unless they like being laughed at.

3. Johnny Cullen

Pretty much what Yoshi said.

4. Random_H

I, too, am beginning to get the feeling, that we’ll instead see a proper Half-Life 3 that concludes this story-arc.

2011 – new engine et all.

MMW

Alex

5. Gekidami

I bet we see a L4D3 this year.

6. AHA-Lambda

If we see a L4D3 I swear heads will ****ing roll :flame:

Really given the blackout on this game and portal 2 I expected a release this year but this is just getting bloody ridiculous >_>

7. Blerk

Aw, man!

8. Freek

Do people still know what the Half Life story is about at this point? I remember a cliff hanger in Ep 2, but not exactly the details.

9. Doc Robotnik

I think the source engine started to look dated after episode 2. It works fine for a game like left 4 dead, but for Half Life, it needs to be better. It has to compete with the other triple-A FPSs.

I’m also betting they decided to work on a new engine and develop a full-scale game – Half Life 3, for all intents and purposes, rather than making ‘episode 3′. No way we’ll see an ‘episode’ length game when it’s eventually released.

10. Blerk

Unless they just use a bite-size episode 3 as a test bed for the new engine before going on to make a proper HL3.

11. Len

How depressing but I’ll wait quietly in the corner for it I suppose. :( Has to be a new engine otherwise they’ll be trouble.

And yes Freek I remember the cliffhanger where…oops best not say anything…was a bit shocking though!

12. Bulk Slash

Glad you didn’t say anything there Len, I haven’t played Episode 2 yet! :) I keep meaning to get around to it, but with Episode 3 so far off, I don’t feel the need to keep up with the story.

13. mington

NNNOOOOO!!! are well, i kinda of hope they don’t tease anything until like six months before release, i couldn’t handle the wait.

The Half life series has been benchmark games, i really hope this well be completely stellar, i don’t think another 6 hour episode will cut it, not after this amount of time

14. SunKing

I think Robotnik is right, and I think I speak for fans everywhere when I say “FFS!”

15. The Hindle

Half life Forever. I think Ep 3 will come out in a another Orange Box style complation with Portal 2 CS 2 etc

16. Hunam

I’m not sure I really care about HL anymore after this long wait. Such a shame they are taking so long to make a 10 minute game.

17. Len

Let’s all look at this again and get depressed:

18. st00rm

3 years and all they release is a couple of concept art pictures

19. Jadeskye

In their defence their development team comprises of 4 people and a dog.

20. anjin

I am cry

21. Psychotext

Arsebollocks. Unlike some posters here I really couldn’t give a crap about a new engine, the old one was just fine.

Release it.

22. Michael O’Connor

Half Life 3 in 2011, with a completely new Source engine that will once again completely redefine what this genre is about, like the previous two games did.

Calling it here right now.

23. Psychotext

HL3 in 2011? Where will Ep 3 fit in?