PS3 “lead platform” for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Monday, 18th January 2010 08:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

lordsofshadow3

Dave Cox, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow producer, has tweeted that PS3 will be the “lead platform” for the game’s development.

PS3 is the lead platform but the game is identical on both formats,” he said.

He also said the player view-point’s fixed, a la God of War.

Camera is fixed. You cannot control it.”

The game was first shown back at the old Games Convention in Leipzig in 2008, although it didn’t carry the Castlevania name at the time.

“Nerves” kept that from happening

It was announced as a full Castlevania title at Konami’s E3 press conference last year, when Kojima’s involvement was also confirmed.

Spanish dev Mercury Stream’s developing.

It’ll be out later this year.

Thanks, D’Toid.

1. Blerk

Hmm. If it’s fixed camera, they’d better get it right. :-|

2. KAP

Hmm.. lead platform… we’ll see.

3. Bulk Slash

Did they make the PS3 the lead platform before or after Kojima decided he wanted his name on the box? ;)

4. Aimless

Many developers have said it makes sense to lead on PS3 as it’s harder to go in the other direction. I don’t think there’s much to be read into it other than both versions should be very comparable, which is surely good news for all involved.

5. Doc Robotnik

Good news. Should mean a better experience for both console versions.

6. Jet Black

Not another case of “Bayonetta PS3 syndrome” then… disaster averted!

7. ARFarokhi

Yessssssssssssss! :D Kojima is and forever will be a SONY Fan!

8. Blerk

What is Kojima’s involvement with this title, exactly? I got the impression it was ‘basically very little’.

9. Psychotext

Lets hope it’s absolutely nothing to do with the story… or cutscenes. :)

10. Bulk Slash

I think it’s like when Nintendo say Shigsy has been involved in the making of a game. This basically means handing him a Wiimote or stylus and him saying the game is a’ight, before asking if he can go back to measuring things.

11. Eregol

PS3 was the ‘lead’ platform for Ghostbusters.
    And look how that turned out.

12. Patrick Garratt

@11 – :D

13. AHA-Lambda

@ 10 – yeah that’s pretty much how I envision kojima’s involvment in this

14. Johnny Cullen

Kojima’s just an advisor.

So basically, he is nowhere near the story.

15. zoopdeloop

Western devs Vs Eastern Devs

Exactly…

16. mojo

fixed camera sounds good.
    Played the GoW Collectin just recently and i enjoyed it pretty much not having to take care about the right view. U can get more into the actual action.
    I hope more titles will adopt that in the future.

17. Eregol

God of War’s camera while dynamic often made jumps dificult as you couldn’t see what was beyond the platform you’re standing on. This is also true of GoW3.
    A fixed camera needs to give you the best view of what you’re doing.
    They need to get this right. There have been times I have been desperate for the ability to rotate the camera in GoW.

18. Gekidami

Indeed, even in the GoW3 demo theres an awkward jump obscured by the camera angle.

19. Eregol

While the jump itself seems easy enough I have died doing it on many occasions.

20. OlderGamer

Yea for the record, I greatly dislike games that have fixed camera views. All too often, more times then not, that lack of a better views is going to cause problems.

I wish games would stop trying to be so cinamatic all of the time. Just be games. Movies don’t need multi cam views and the static aproach often adds to suspense, mood, or whatever. But a game is a game. Its far more interactive and as such I feel a movable cam just fits it better. I remember playing a 3D Castlvana on PS2 and it had a fixed cam. I never got through the game. Jumps and obsticals that I couldn’t see kept me from enjoying the game.

21. Eregol

‘Movies don’t need multi cam views’

Remember that the DvD revolution was going to bring multiple views for certain movies/events and such?

Whatever happened to that idea?

22. mojo

it got used in pr0n.

i dont think fixed cam is an approach to make games more cineastic.
    Its just a proper way of letting u enjoy the action without taking care for the right camera angle.
    imo.
    I also had troble here and there with some odd jumps, but well, didnt made me angry or whatever.
    It will never be perfect, but imo steady cam is more enjoyable..
    at least for linear games. for some of them. open world is obviously a whole different thing, aswell as some other story driven linear games.
    After all i guess the static cam on gow was the price to pay for the immense graphics, which they propably couldnt have achieved with a free camera.

23. Gheritt White

This is in my Top 5 Most Wanted games this year… it just looks so fucking good, so far at least.

24. NiceFellow

Well that’s nice and sensible – should run equally well on both consoles then.