The Writers Guild of America has announced the 2010 nominees for Videogame Writing, and a few on the list may surprise you a bit.
Here’s the rundown:
- Assassin’s Creed II, Story by Corey May, Script Writers Corey May, Joshua Rubin, Jeffrey Yohalem; Ubisoft Entertainment
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Written by Jesse Stern, Additional Writing Steve Fukuda, Story by Todd Alderman, Steve Fukuda, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Jesse Stern, Jason West, Battlechatter Dialogue, Sean Slayback; Activision
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
- Wet, Written by Duppy Demetrius; Bethesda Softworks
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Script Writer Marc Guggenheim; Activision
If you are wondering why some games considered to be literary works in and of themselves weren’t nominated, like BioWare games or some MMOs even, it’s because the WGA pulls its nominees from a list of members.
If you’re not a member, please leave before we call security, basically.
Last year, publishers of Grand Theft Auto IV, Dead Space, CoD:WaW, Mirror’s Edge, Far Cry 2, and No More Heroes didn’t send a copy of the game scripts in and didn’t have credited writers join the guild due to what each called “politics”
Apparently, many felt the whole ceremony is a facade and nothing more than a recruitment drive for the Guild.
Regardless of what it is or isn’t, we’ll find out who won come February 20.