BioWare says Dragon Age will “come of age” a year from now

Saturday, 16th January 2010 16:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

dragonage

Dragon Age: Origins producer Fernando Melo has said that the RPG will “come of age” a year from now.

“Honestly, looking at Dragon Age as a franchise, that kind of timeframe (a year plus) is really when DA will begin to come of age (if you pardon the pun),” he told D’toid. “As we release more content, I think that is the earliest that players will begin to clearly see all the pieces start to weave together, and that will be incredibly exciting to observe as a developer.

“Plus on a separate but integral path, I am fully expecting that we’ll see the modding community releasing some of their best content by then.

“The Dragon Age toolset and the modding scene for DA will have matured, and that’s something I’m really excited to see the results of.”

Return to Ostagar, the latest DLC for the game, was just released on XBL earlier in the week before it was pulled due to the update stopping specialized classes stopped working in the original game.

It’s expected to be released for PC and PSN “soon”.

There’s also the Awakening expansion to look forward to, which increases the level cap the mid-to-high 30s.

Awakening will land March 16.

1. MushroomStamp

I wish the franchise well, but it will have to change to be great. I WANTED to love this game.. I loved the story and even got past the mediocre graphics… But the combat is GARBAGE. The micromanaging you have to do sucks ALL the fun out of this game. I have 3 other friends that pretty much feel the same. We all agree the combat is WAY too time consuming to be effective or fun… parting factoid – none of us could finish the game.

2. Phoenixblight

Sorry Mushroomstamp but you are not the demographic that the Developers of DAO wanted. They wanted it to resemble as much as possible as BG which it did in a way.
    I very much enjoy the combat, the micromanaging. Thats why Bioware made Mass Effect 2 gutted most of what made a RPG and made it simple for people like you. Not being offensive just saying that the two games have two different fans in mind.

3. Neolucifer

I dont even understand the purpose of the consoles versions , aside from the obvious sales . Especially when the game started anyway as a PC project (yet we ended up with the same low quality textures than the consoles by bioware’s error , only fixed so far by mods)

Still the game is everything fans of bioware of “Old” wanted and wich they stopped doing once they made consoles their priorities .

4. Hunam

I’d imagine the purpose of the console versions was to test the water for that type of classic RPG. If it did as well as the PC version seems to have done then we could expect to see more. Hell, maybe a company somewhere will actually make another D&D game. I’m not holding my breath though.

5. Neolucifer

With atari involved with D&D let’s not wish for that .
    Besides the licenses isnt even needed anyway , as proven by DA so far . Pretty much every skills ware straight copies , and the comba system was so far from their old version of the d20 system .

I actually wish they completely did away with it , and do their own stuff , and used their newfound freedom .

The game is still amazing , but i fail to be amazed at seeing the same old fire spell line and old cone of ice .

6. Phoenixblight

You Know Neo when DAO was being Developed they were infact using the D&D rule set but at 2nd or 3rd year for whatever issues (Money for the license I believe) they axed it.

I believe DAO will be a trend obviously it did well enough to demand an expansion. It was by far my favorite games beside the small bugs and dated graphics, the game has a lot of potential.