Yamauchi: GT5 is only “90%” complete

Friday, 15th January 2010 21:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

GT5 3

Remember Gran Turismo 5 getting delayed earlier this week from its planned March release date in Japan? Here’s why: it isn’t finished yet.

Speaking in an interview with USA Today at CES earlier this month, Polyphony Digital boss Kazunori Yamauchi said: “About 90% of the game is done. We are just working on the last 10% and polishing up everything.”

He also revealed that the game could use the PlayStation Motion Controller, but only for certain sections of the racer.

“It might be used to maybe control the user interface like you would a mouse, but that’s the extent we would use it for.”

SCEJ now has the game listed as a TBA release: a SCEE date is coming “in due course.”

On Tuesday, Sony said that the game’s Time Trial demo, which was released last month, reached over 1 million downloads in Europe.

The game got a new batch of screens and a trailer this morning.

1. cookiejar

I do hope the 10% is putting it inside the case!

2. Patrick Garratt

He’s just making up random percentages now.

“I’m 60% sure I’m alive 85% of the time.”

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

so 90% complete means few more cars, and POLISH the game..

4. Gekidami

“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.”

5. Suikoden Fan

Wow this game has been taking ages

6. Freek

He’s lost his mind, hasn’t he? His OCD has finally caught up with him and it’s gonna cost Sony allot of money.

7. SniperWolf

19.32% of people do know when this game is out
    while 96.28% of people know it will be released in 2010

8. Bulk Slash

Yamauchi said the other day that GT5 had taken 5 years to make (so far). So just for laughs: if it’s taken 5 years and it’s 90% done that works out to the final 10% taking 203 days.

Assuming they don’t bother with any testing and translation, the earliest it can be released is the 22nd July 2010!

9. Psychotext

I could have sworn they said it was finished… back in June 2009.

10. Neolucifer

Never what he said , he was pretty clear : it could be released as is , back then .
    And we all know that forza fright or not , if it had been released as is , it would still be miles above most games in quality .

I know it will be dismissed as fanboy clinical defense , but at least , it’s the very first official delay , not that BS the press fed upon all year long , with not date set till recently

11. The Juice707

I’m not really a sim racing kind of guy, but the time trial for GT really turned me off. I know it wasn’t a final build, but it made no accommodations for those not used to such realism, and the graphics actually seemed ugly compared to what I’d anticipated. I’m sure that both of those issues will be worked out when the game is released, but I just know that playing the GT5 and Forza 3 demos back to back definitely steered me more towards Forza. And as a plus, Forza came out on time.

Either way, I prefer the arcadey stuff. I’m really looking forward to Split/Second right now.

12. Neolucifer

like you said it wasnt much of a build , it was there to test a feature . Looking back the recent demo looks roughly the same and even less good that GT prologue , wich would be quite impossible anyway for gt5 . It would obviously look better .

But yeah the trail wasnt the best marketing move , wich apparently they dont seems to care about .

13. ShiroGamer

Duke Nukem Forever should officially start making jokes about it ffs !

14. No_PUDding

I’m 100% sure I’ve left a comment to show I’ve acknowledged the story.

15. Uncontested

GT5 must have the laziest dev team known to man. (Minus Duke Nukem of course)

16. Armitage

I wouldn’t say that, they have released Tourist Trophy, GT5P and GT PSP since GT4 came out, and GT5 will be out this year..

17. LarryL

Gekidami….nice Homer Simpson quote.

Juice…..if you aren’t a sim racing guy….why would you think the GT time trial demo would turn you on? You also have to take into account on that “demo” (when in reality, it wasn’t a demo, it was a contest), had the difficulty on “Profesional”. It wasn’t meant to be easy, in fact it was meant to be difficult. I personally loved what I felt in the demo. The new physics are great, though I will say, when I’m playing the full game, it will NOT be on the most difficult settings. That was a little too “hardcore” for even my tastes. But even with how the setting were in the demo, with the traction control turned up to about 6 or 7, that was absolutely perfect for me. The only problem with that is, you have no chance at the top time, lol.

Neo….you’re absolutely right. That demo was in no way representative of the graphical quality in the final game. The CES demo looks to me to be about where the final game will be….which is AMAZING. I hope they release that demo on PSN soon, minus the 2:30 time limit.

I know the game is going to be the best driving sim I’ve ever played. I’m LOVING that NASCAR is in too. The only thing I’m praying for is rain at this point. Dynamic weather imo, is asking too much. I just want rain though. With how awesome the rain is in F! Championship (PS3 launch game) and Ferrari Challenge, I really hope GT5 has it too.

18. haliotis81

he played forza 3 and felt gt5 still not good enough to beat this game!!!! then delay….

19. G1GAHURTZ

90% in dev terms generally means that the only work left to do is bug fixing or the tying up of licenes.

Which would mean that there isn’t much contradiction between this statement and the ‘We can release the game any time’ (or whatever it was) one.

Especially when you consider how horrendously buggy the likes of NFS:Shift are.

On the other hand, even with bug fixing and licencing contracts, you can usually set a firm cut off date without too much difficulty.

20. Eregol

Didn’t Yamauchi say before xmas that they could ship GT5 ‘now’ if they wanted to?
    He must be very conflicted.

21. OlderGamer

“My guess is that the time trial demo got a poor reception, so they’ve panicked and are currently trying to ‘paper over the cracks’.”

Bingo.

All I read after the demo were excuses from gamers that lined up to defend it. How many times did we read that graphics in the TT were NOT as good as the final game? I don’t see any reason at all to believe that. How many times did we read that the real game will have scaleable Driver Assists? This tells me that not as many gamers enjoyed the ultra realism as the dev team thought would.

I think Yamauchi is likly disillusioned at this point. My guess is it is only going to get worse. I don’t think GT5 is going to be as huge as some think it will. And as time goes along, I feel more and more that, the end result will not justify the long dev cycle or rescources that have occured up to this point.

22. onlineatron

The Time Trial wasn’t using all the final builds assets. If you look at the CES track footage you can see the track from the time trial has already been improved.

The demo just demonstrated the (much) improved physics.

23. DeSpiritusBellum

I think it’s pretty appropriate to whip out the Duke Nukem parralels, considering that that game was being sunk by a seemingly narcicistic mastermind as well.

Japans idolatry of games developers doesn’t really do them any favors when it negates their professional discipline like that. Just look at what happened with Metal Gear Solid.

Turn 10 Studios have released two very high quality racing simulators by now, to universal acclaim, and while neither has as many features as GT5, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that two quality AAA releases are always going to beat out one massively overbudget, perpetually delayed one.

I don’t know how Sony handles it studios, or if they have any say at all, but back in the PS2 days I knew several who only bought a PS2 to play Gran Turismo.

If you want to be succesful, you really shouldn’t make games developers into rockstars, rockstars are never on time, and they make no apologies for it.