Volition’s “Secret Project X” is probably Saints Row 3

Friday, 15th January 2010 08:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

saintsrow210

THQ-owned Volition appears to have put Red Faction: Guerrilla to bed: it’s now flaunting a “Secret Project X” on its site’s “games” page.

What is it? It’s Saints Row 3, unless the studio’s doing something else besides. The game’s already been confirmed for a fiscal 2011 release by THQ.

If you need any more convincing, Saints Row 2 associate producer Dan Sutton said in October 2008 that, “We’ve already started work on Saints Row 3, and we have a new direction we want to go in with that which we of course can’t talk about.”

The studio’s last products were Red Faction: Guerrilla DLC in the form of Demons of the Badland in August, a Multiplayer Pack in September and a “Smasher Pack” in October.

We’ll have a chat with THQ, innit.

1. Blerk

I’ve still not played Saints Row 2.

2. Patrick Garratt

Me either. Which is a bit silly, as it’s supposed to be brilliant.

3. DiodeX

It is a blast! great in Co op
    Its so totally silly which makes it for me.

4. Patrick Garratt

I’m going to put it on my increasingly stupid list.

/does

There.

5. Blerk

I even have a copy already! I just haven’t played it. :-D

6. Patrick Garratt

Might get it on PC. It’s only a tenner on Steam.

7. Icebox

It’s not that good really; very crude and has no substance. It’s amusing in short blasts though.

8. DrDamn

SRII had a lot of the fun which was missing from GTAIV, unfortunately it was also riddled with bugs. I quit playing because of them. Plus Volition seemed more interested in putting out DLC than patching it.

9. Patrick Garratt

GTA IV really wasn’t much “fun” at all, from where I was sitting. I lasted about five hours, I think. I might go back at some point, though.

10. Moonwalker1982

I absolutely loved GTA IV. I could walk around in that city for hours , just watching what NPC’s would do and how they would react. It’s pretty amazing the stuff you see when you do that.

The graphics,the atmosphere,the physics,the level design, the cutscenes, the driving mechanics…totally win it from Saints Row 2 easily in my book, it’s just much better in many aspects. I did buy SR2, but pretty soon i put it away, i hated how the driving was, even more slowdowns than GTA IV, and even IV had some nasty slowdowns now and then. All in all SR2 just didn’t do it for me.

For me GTA IV is the perfect game to grab if i just wanna mess around. I don’t see how people can find it boring at all.

11. Icebox

Saints Row 2 was good in that it did try to differentiate itself a bit from GTA, unlike the first one, but it’s completely inferior compared to GTA IV.

12. DrDamn

SRII was a help of a lot more out and out fun than GTAIV. It thought it had a better driving mechanic – well more enjoyable anyway.

13. Bulk Slash

Pat, don’t buy SR2 on Steam, it’s an utterly crap port that runs like shit even on high end systems. The 360 version runs the best of the three systems so I’d recommend that.

Personally I thought SR2 was much better than GTAIV and it was my GOTY for 2008. There was very little to do in Liberty City compared to Stilwater and the variety of side missions was much greater in SR2. With GTAIV most of the missions just involved driving somewhere and shooting people. With SR2 you could end up spraying sewage from a sewage truck, going streaking, base jumping, throwing stalkers in front of trains or even quad biking while on fire. That’s on top of all the usual fun things like ambulance, police, fire, etc.

Plus GTAIV just wasn’t very funny, it took itself far too seriously, as if it thought it was the Godfather of gaming. Oh and best of all, in SR2 you don’t have to phone your mates every 5 minutes and take them to the same darts/pool/bowling game over and over…

In terms of bugs and glitches, I found just as many in GTAIV, and often those ones were game breaking because they involved getting trapped in scenery.

SR3 has to be my most eagerly awaited game. The next GTA has an enormous hill to climb.

14. DrDamn

The bugs and their affect on how I view the game were a lot to do with how I approached it I suppose. I did the first couple of missions and then concentrated on the Hitman stuff. I spent an enjoyable 20 odd hours on completing those and other bits and pieces. Thing is none of the things doing all those missioned unlocked worked properly. Grenades and Satchels at your base, infinite rifle ammo – nope – nothing worked. Jaded my view of the game.

Getting stuck in scenery or the odd unexpected death is annoying, but you can just carry on. Spending 20 hours doing a lot of missions with a specific purpose which then just doesn’t deliver is a bigger problem for me.

15. Anthorne

SR2 was so much more fun then GTA4. I bought episodes from liberty city and can’t even play them cause i get so bored of it. I got so much more enjoyment out of playing saints row 2. So here is a good review you might want to see on SR2. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/312-Saints-Row-2 Enjoy!

16. Blerk

I fucking loved GTAIV and both of the episodes. Takes all sorts, I guess. :-D

17. Bulk Slash

@DrDamn

That’s a bummer, I’ve finished SR2 three times now and not seen that problem. Maybe you’re not allowed to use the satchel bombs until you’re further into the game? I think you need to own a rifle and then switch to it in your hideout to activate the infinite ammo.

I know certain things are locked until you improve your gang ranking. Whenever I play now I make a beeline for the missions that give me infinite sub-machine gun ammo and the guy who brings you vehicles from your garage! ;)

18. Patrick Garratt

Blerk – When I started sending emails using a 360 pad as a “mouse”, it was over for me. I send emails all day. I couldn’t face doing it in a game.

19. Patrick Garratt

@13 – Ta. I’ll grab a 360 copy.

20. Moonwalker1982

In no way was the driving more enjoyable in SR2. It was horrible and looked very cheap/arcade’ish. In my opinion GTA IV had this perfect, the cars looked very realistic when driving them and it was still fun as hell, along with the awesome damage system it was great.

GTA IV is so full of those little details, that in that aspect alone it completely destroys SR2. But of course, to each his own.

21. Hunam

I was just gonna pop in and say the same thing, the PC version is supposed to be a disaster of a port.

Only played the first one though, it was fun enough. Red Faction Guerrilla is aces though.

22. Blerk

I’ve still got that to play too! :-D

23. Bulk Slash

I’d just like to add as well that the custom character creator in this game is more advanced that anything I’ve seen in any other game. There are so many variables you can tweak in the face alone that I believe it’s possible to fairly accurately re-create anyone in-game.

I took two pictures of my face from the front and the side and spent some time re-creating it in the game and I think it was a really close resemblance. The six-pack I gave the body on the other hand…