If you ever get into arguments with your pals over console failure rates and the like, some statistics were implemented into a nice picture chart for easy access over on OnlineEductaion.
There’s a bounty of information on there, like age demographics, consoles war figures and the like. We have a taste of it for you below.
- The best selling console: PS2 – 138m units
- Percentage of console failure within two years: 360 – 23.7 percent, PS3 – 10 percent, Wii – 2.7 percent
- 65 percent of US households play games
- 25 percent of gamers are under 18, 40 percent are between ages 18-40, 26 percent are over 50
- The average age of a gamer is 32
- 2 out of 5 gamers are female
- Primary console players: Female – 9 percent PS3, 80 percent Wii, 11 percent 360; Male – 38 percent 360, 41 percent Wii, 21 percent PS3
- Gamers spend, on average, 18 hours a week playing games
- Console sales: PS3 – 31.59M (US: 12.35M, JP 4.58M); 360 – 37.14M (US 21.50M, JN 1.23M); Wii – 65.32M (US 30.56M, JN 9.67M)
- Mario games are the best selling franchise in history, selling over 225M units
- Annual software sales in millions: Consoles – 154M; PC – 36.4M
We’re not sure if some of these figures were updated since last night’s NPDs or not. So compare them for yourself and become a plethora of knowledge.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.