Shots of OnLive console and controllers surface

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 22:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

onlive

Some screens for OnLive were released today, showing images of its micro-console and controller.

CVG has ‘em. You should go have a look.

OnLive is due for launch during the first quarter of this year, with its competitor Gaikai expected this year as well.

Earlier today, it was reported that Microsoft would be “in the mix and active participants” in the streaming movement, as Xbox 360 is capable of such feats with just an update.

1. Bulk Slash

The letters on the joypad buttons spell EVIL. This must mean Satan is behind OnLive and explains how they can compress 1080p60 video with magically low latencies.

2. jnms

I thought Satan had gone back to the north pole by now?

Oh – that’s Santa isn’t it…complete different guy. Or…

3. Stephany Nunneley

I heard he was living in Hollywood eating Indian cuisine and enjoying being mellow in his old age. Maybe I am just confusing him with Glenn Danzig. Wouldn’t be the first time that happened.

4. freedoms_stain

Wireless controllers?

Glenn Danzig is too short to be Satan Steph.

Satan has gotta be at least 4 feet tall.

5. Stephany Nunneley

Oh – he has Ronnie James Dio syndrome then, eh? :-D

6. Neolucifer

wow they could at least give the thing some design , even if i’s a secondary concern …
    But at is it , it looks like a crossbreed between a vga box , and one of those external hdd … so not really good .

I swear the logo on the top could be instead Western digital , or HP .

7. Hunam

Not bad for vapour-ware.

8. Psychotext

“I swear the logo on the top could be instead Western digital , or HP”

Thank you! You’ve just reminded me where I’ve seen the design before. I have a USB -> Network printer adapter that looks just like it. :)

9. Hunam

Wouldn’t surprise me. This looks like Phantom 2.0

10. loki

shit

11. Gekidami

“EVIL”? lol what? Why?

12. M2Kx

first I thougt “LIVE” but there’re a lot of bad people in here :D

13. Gekidami

Thats because everyone here reads backwards, all the cool, hidden messages are in reverse.

14. DrDamn

Design wise the box needs to be small and inconspicuous – which they’ve achieved reasonable well. Isn’t it meant to be something you wouldn’t notice? Still don’t see this thing flying in the real world.

15. elronathon

Those games tutorials are going to be a pain in the ass.

‘Press the L button, no not that L button, the one on the face’

‘Press the I button’
    where the hell is that!?

16. JL

Most of the images on CVG / E4G are crops of the ones at OnLive.com – News & Media – Press Room, which seem to have been released in July 2009.

The one I’ve not seen before is the one without drop-shadowing, showing shoulder buttons.

Slow news day at E4G on Monday, or OnLive looking for more investment?

17. scuz

looks ummm..similar? how can a law suit not happen here?

18. Psychotext

I didn’t notice the buttons… yeah, that’s pretty stupid.

19. OlderGamer

You folks take notice of the craziest things. The best part of the story isn’t what the console looks like. Yet no one mentions anything about it.

The best thing about it is the Xbox360 can also offer streaming games service? Because I wonder if a complete upstart could pull something like this off. But if MS got involved, and then Sony got involved because MS did, something legit could happen.

The whole thing, while promising seems like a pipe dream to me. But curtianly there is more to talk about then the design of the box?

20. Psychotext

We’ve always known that Sony and MS could do it because they’ve already got the “AV connector boxes” in peoples homes, and the magic of cloud based gaming is the software.

Of course, if OnLive are sensible they’ll have patented their supposed magical compression systems to hell and back.

21. OlderGamer

Seems to me that MS or Sony offering cloud would either:

Have old and outdateed games,

Very high priced subscription fees,

Or completly kill retailer stores like Gamestop.