Quantic Dream “will definitely experiment” with PS Motion Controller “in the near future”

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 09:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

heavyrain2

Quantic Dream boss David Cage has said the studio up for a bit of PS3 Motion Controller action.

Speaking with D’Toid, Cage said:

“I am curious to see what can be done with more mature games, if it can be used to support immersion and create a new way of playing. Quantic Dream will definitely experiment with the Wand in the near future.”

Heavy Rain, which the studio has been working on for at least four years, has motion controls in the game via SIXAXIS. But Cage said this isn’t a game with which you can be waving your arms about like a loony.

“Motion already plays a major role in Heavy Rain. In fact, the entire interface is designed around motion and physical immersion.

“[I] would not like to play every single game moving around and jumping on my couch.”

The game got pegged for a February release last week.

February 23 in the US, February 24 in mainland Europe and February 26 in the UK.

Sony last night said, despite claims to the contrary, the game will be uncensored everywhere.

There will also be a pre-release demo coming, SCEE told us last week.

1. mington

maybe they will incorporate it into one of there dlc episodes, if they are still making episodes by then

2. JonFE

Combine Cage’s obsession with mature games, his curiosity of what Sony’s dildo, no, scratch that, Sony’s Wand can do and the recent announcement that Heavy Rain would not be censored and we may very well end up with some really, *really* interesting DLC in our hands.

3. Blerk

It’s a good job he’s not doing a Natal game, then.

“Dance provocatively for the gangster now!”

4. mington

the sex secene in Fahrenheit was one of my strangest gaming experiences

5. onlineatron

Heavy Rain has always struck me as a game that could benefit from more precise motion controls.

An example is when ‘Dead Kid Dad’ goes and shoots some hoops… I’d like it if you had to raise the controller and throw the ball yourself.

Another would be when ‘asthmatic cop guy’ gets held up by the robber. If you had to raise your arms and make sure not to drop them it would (make you look very silly) add tension to the game.

6. mescalineeyes

I think Heavy Rain is one of the few games that would massively benefit from motion controls over a traditional control scheme.

7. Psychotext

“the sex secene in Fahrenheit was one of my strangest gaming experiences”

I remember doing that and wondering how I could tell if I was winning… :D

8. mescalineeyes

you were having sex, that’s a default win.

9. Psychotext

I bet that little computer bitch told all her friends I was crap. :(

10. Blerk

Having sex isn’t always a default win. You could be in prison, for instance. :-D

11. onlineatron

Rape =/= Sex

(i think…. I hope =S)

12. Retroid

A natural evolution from “Press X to not die” towards “Waggle wand towards picture of X to not die”.