Cut FFXIII content was enough for separate game, says Square Enix

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 11:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii6

Final Fantasy XIII art director Isamu Kamikokuryou has told an unnamed Japanese publication – we assume it’s Famitsu – that there was so much content cut from the project, the team could have made a separate game from it.

The interview, picked up by FF-Reunion and translated by Andriasang, reveals there were a couple of locations cut from FFXIII, such as a full area around Lightning’s home town and a secret base of Snow’s resistance group, which would have been based in a shop and a zoo in Nautiuls Park.

All of the locations were apparently running on PS3 hardware, too.

If there was a reason for the linearity complaints in the game as it is, this could be it.

FFXIII ships for PS3 and 360 on March 9 in the west. It released last month in Japan.

Expect some new stuff to drop today, kids. Just a heads-up.

1. Johnny Cullen

*gets the armour out*

2. onlineatron

Why do I get the feeling they will make a seperate game out of this?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 anyone?

3. mington

“full area around Lightning’s home town and a secret base of Snow’s resistance group” dlc pack 1 and 2

are they planning dlc for this?

4. sweetasman01

stupid xbox

5. Johnny Cullen

onlineatron – Check the tags. :P

6. locus2k1

@Mington originally SE announced there would be no DLC.. but I believe things have changed since then.

@Johnny you’re also going to need the flame shield out for this one… I’m expecting many a shout outs at content cut due to (not my words) “360 limitations”

There’s going to be long threads all over the internet over this one me thinks.

7. Withnail

That’s Versus sorted then.

8. Blerk

They’ve listed stuff that they’ve cut from FF projects in the past, I don’t see why this one should be any different.

I’m guessing locations get cut as the story evolves during development, though. When a game’s in dev for as long as this one was, chances are the end product isn’t even nearly what you were originally planning.

9. JimFear666

retarded xbox.

10. SniperWolf

and you don’t agree
    give me a break
    NO MORE DLC

11. The Hindle

6 week and its out cant wait :)

12. Retroid

Don’t listen to Blerk with his biased FACTS!

No, they’ve never cut anything from any other FF game ever.

Ever!

It’s certainly nothing to do with the game (series in general, actually) being a money hole during development and needing to get it out of the door in some semblance of timelyness.

Oh dear me, no.

13. SniperWolf

you mean they never cut anything from any FF EVER
    any source ?

14. Gekidami

I cant imagine any of that content being reused for Versus seeing as (based off whats been shown) the setting is as different as possible.

15. Johnny Cullen

Yeah, the series is linked in some aspect. (Fabula Nova Crystalis)

I think it’s just the l’Cie/Fal’Cie aspect of it.

Otherwise, it absolutely ain’t linked, so don’t expect Lightning to show in Versus or Noctis in Agito XIII.

16. locus2k1

@ sniperwolf nope sorry I don’t think of the 360 as being “limited,” all of the current generation’s consoles have it’s pros and cons. I for one like my 360 and my PS3; just bought Bayonetta on one and Darksiders on the other and I’m looking forward to both once the royal mail can drive in snow :(

17. Gekidami

He means limited because of the disc space. Probably based off this part:
    “The content was already running on actual PS3 hardware, it seems, but was left out due to considerations for game volume and overall game balanace.”

The PS3′s English version is missing out on Japanese OV’s because of the 360 version however. So to say that the 360 hasnt limited the PS3 version in anyway is wrong.

18. locus2k1

ahhh, I misinterpreted what was being said, thanks Gekidami :)

19. Talyis

What I don’t get is way square didn’t just leave it there and add another disc to the 360 or better yet screw the 360 and leave on the Playstation especially if they want there game to sell. After hearing stuff like this you think the real fans are gonna be happy with a half ass product! Just saying I think they would have sold very well without moving to the 360 look how bad all of the RPG’s have sold on the 360 so far!

20. Blerk

Well, perhaps they cut it for reasons other than disc space? Like they ran out of time? Or they weren’t much good? Or they didn’t fit in with the story any more?

There are plenty of games which cut entire sections before release, not just RPGs, and most of the time it’s not because they couldn’t fit them in, it’s purely down to business pressure. Given how delayed FFXIII was I think I’d have been far more surprised if they HAD gotten everything that they initially planned into the game.

21. Bulk Slash

Blerk is right, content gets cut for all sorts of reasons all the time.

Gears of War is a good example of cut content, the Brumak fight was cut from the 360 release to get the game done in time but Epic took the time to finish it for the PC version. Gears 2 also had a section cut that was recently released as DLC.

22. Hunam

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

23. itsucks

Stupid PieceofShit3, can’t even let a game be a proper RPG. Shoddy YLOD Crap, go pay 200 bucks for a repair.

24. Kaufer

SE already said there wont be any DLC so it means three things.

FFXIII International is confirm to have more content.
    50GB BD
    PS3 only = Japan only (probably no english VO)

25. OlderGamer

Somethings to think about:

If tomorrow there was a new Disc that could magicly work in both the xbox360 and the PS3 for games to be printed on. And this disc could magicly hold 10X the information and had 10X the storage capacity of a blueray… What would happen?

Nothing.

Why? Because regaurdless of how much info can be stored on a single disc, games are only going to be along the same sizes. To make a game longer simply because a disc can hold more is down right crazy. Because now that said games take far long and costs far greater to make then before. Are they going to charge you more money? Esentialy you are talking about getting more game, for the same price. Who is going to do that?

I think that right now in the current enviroment there is a certian size/length formula game devs/pubs are aiming for and working with. It has to do with (yes) storage disc size of both PS3 and XB360(lowest common denominator wins), it has to do with man hours to produce the game(dev time), it has to do with cost of said dev, and keeping your product in line with the competetion. If gamers are expecting 40hrs of play, and your game offers 350hrs(esp if it is a liner experience like FF) of gameplay, you messed up. You could have made several sequels out of the those same rescources.

No one is holding back anything based on XB360 storage size, despite the retoric coming out of JP(remember they hate anything none JP anyways, they are extremly bias against the xbox, western game markets, and yes you(your a tool) ). If SQENX wanted to stay true to artistic integrety of the game, if they really felt the game was compermized, they could have opted for multi discs for the xbox360 version.

They didn’t.

I think 90% of the crap we hear out of jp game devs towards xbox is resentment. I think they hate the idea of having to make their games for the system in order to get a return on their investment. They know that a PS3 only FF will undersell. This is a multiplatform world, half or more of the world game makret share is held by a western system. They HATE that. (Wii not included, as I do truely feel that the Wii and the PS3/Xbox360 markets differ, the same way I won’t count PSP/DSi/Iphone/etc).

What will happen to the “cut” parts of the game?

DLC, Sequel, or nothing.

Lots of times games get cut and choped. It is part of the editing process. This is just a prime example of JP angst. Its their way of telling you that if you and your friends had not bought xbox360s, if you had all bought the JP Playstation3, if the market were the same way it was 10 yrs ago, you would be getting a bigger and better FF. Of course we all should know that it crap. Like I said Angst

26. Gekidami

“If they really felt the game was compermized, they could have opted for multi discs for the xbox360 version.

They didn’t.”

They did. Yoshinori Kitase said that they’re aiming for 3 discs for the 360 verison.

27. OlderGamer

But it wasn’t due to the xbox360′s smaller storage discs Vs Blurays.

28. Phoenixblight

@Older Gamer

The X360 FF is stated to be on 3 discs. They are not fitting it on 1 disc ala DAO.

The 360 Disc can only hold 8.6 GB where The Blu ray can go up to 50 Gb.

29. DaMan

the x360 version of this game will be on multiple discs because of the limited DVD9 capacity compared to blu-ray, they’ve said that several months ago.

SO4 for X360 was on 3 discs.

30. Eregol

Not forgetting normal Blu Ray have been expanded to 33gb. So Over 60gb for dual layered new Blu Ray discs?

Makes me wonder why Special Edition Blu rays still come with two discs (see films like Wall-E). Surely all that content could go on one disc?

31. Gekidami

2 discs are more ‘special’ then one, cant charge more for something like that if its appearance is almost identical to the standard.

“But it wasn’t due to the xbox360’s smaller storage discs Vs Blurays”

Whats it due to then? Square wanted a reason to use a bigger box perhaps? No. It is due to there not being enought space on a DVD9. id Software said the same thing not to long ago about RAGE: Not enought space for the 360 version to have multiplayer and single player on the same disc whilst it can all fit on a bluray.

Saying that a bluray disc has no space advantage over a DVD is like saying a DVD dosnt have more space then a CD.

32. Psychotext

“Not forgetting normal Blu Ray have been expanded to 33gb”

That hasn’t actually happened yet. It’s on the cards though.

33. Alakratt

Actually PT, 50GB BDs already exist and are being used in gaming…remember MGS4? It’s called using a dual layer. A single layer is just 25GB, so yeah, it’s happened already.

34. Psychotext

Read what was written. 33gb.

Then read this: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20091222/178809/

35. Alakratt

Woops, per layer, wow, impressive. My bad.

Back on topic, so let me get this straight. The could’ve been done on a 50GB BD, the cut content was running already on PS3, but in no way this was due to the storage limits on the 360. Hmmm…interesting. You really expect those cash whores at Square to say something bad about the 360? I know the truth hurts, but c’mon guys, sooner or later you’re gonna have to admit it!

36. DaMan

oh, gimme a break.. this was most likely cut because they didn’t have enough time, or because they couldn’t put all that stuff together.

multiplat or not, Square went downhill a long time ago. FFX was a PS2 exclusive, why was it such a retarded linear adventure game instead of being a fantastic rpg like their older titles? their late PS1 projects were half assed as well, CC had amazing cgs and an altogether great plot but it wasn’t nearly as fun as Trigger.

37. Alakratt

FFX was a PS2 exclusive, and yes, it was linear, but I highly doubt that it was because it was only on the PS2. FFXII wasn’t linear, so there you go, your argument fails.

38. Michael O’Connor

The amount of fanboyism floating around in this thread is enough for an entire convention.

“Yeah sure, keep saying that, maybe one day you’ll believe it completely. You guys really don’t even want to consider that the 360 storage could’ve been a reason!”

Nobody is considering it because there’s absolutely fuck all proof or reason that it was. Content gets cut from games all the time, a fact you seem to want to ignore.

39. DaMan

“FFXII wasn’t linear, so there you go,”

and that’s right, because FFXII was a better game. it did a lot of stuff right, for once since 90s they didn’t sacrifice gameplay for flashy graphics and cgs. it had both in fact.

you misunderstand, my point is that if this game is shit, then it’s shit because Squenix is lame, not because it went multiplat.

40. Phoenixblight

41. DaMan

from what I remember, Matsuno left them himself, long before FFXII was finalized.

and Sakaguchi left after the Spirits Within fiasco.

42. Phoenixblight

No Sakaguchi left 2003 and made Mistwalker which is published by Microsoft.

Edit: You are right. Matsuno left because of his cancer. I had him confused with Sakaguchi. Again there is a reason why Square did not go the FFXII route because FFXII did horrible compared to FFX.

43. Michael O’Connor

“Yes because FFXII was so much better they kicked out the director out of Square because the numbers were so low. There is a reason why Sakaguchi is now making crap RPGs on the 360.”

Matsuno was the director of FFXII, not Sakaguchi

“No Sakaguchi left 2003 and made Mistwalker which is published by Microsoft.”

Sakaguchi left Square Enix long before FFXII was released. Misterwalker is not “published by Microsoft” either, for the record – they have two games on the DS, and we have no idea what format their next title is going to be on. It just so happened that Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (neither of which are “crap”) were published by Microsoft.

If you’re gonna argue a point, at least get your damn facts right.

44. Alakratt

See what I mean, you say I’m the fanboy, but I’m not saying that storage limits are the ONLY reason, I’m saying that it needs to be considered next to the time and money reason. You guys don’t even wanna think about it. The storage limits aren’t proof enough? Wao Michael, you sure are smart! I hope MS is paying you, because if they aren’t you sure are stupid! But yeah, I’M the fanboy, your logic is superb!

Also, you might think FF12 was shit, but me and the people who liked didn’t, so it’s relative. Too bad FFX (dumbdown FF) and this new shit are the one’s that sell, because apparently people want their hand held throughout the whole game.

45. DaMan

Sakaguchi also did that willingly btw.

46. Phoenixblight

I corrected myself. I realized that it was not Sakaguchi but infact Matsuno. I still stand by what I said with FFXII and why they went this linear route because it makes numbers.

47. DaMan

who ‘s arguing that, Phoenix? only 16 years olds think the best games are the ones that sell the most.

and besides. say, CC is my all time favourie game(not only rpg), I still say CT is the best jrpg to this date. and FFX was entertaining, I did enjoy playing it.

48. Michael O’Connor

No, it doesn’t need to be considered at all. Because there’s absolutely *nothing* to show that it was responsible. How likely is it that the exact capacity of this content would not have been possible to fit on 3 DVDs? Do you seriously think the size of this stuff is so specific that they could *exactly* fit it on one Blu-ray but not 3 DVDs? That’s extremely unlikely.

Final Fantasy VII is only 1.3GBs in size despite coming on 3 CDs, and that game had a *ton* of missing content, just to give you an example.

“Also, you might think FF12 was shit, but me and the people who liked didn’t, so it’s relative.”

Where the hell did I say FFXII was shit? How is this even relevant to the the discussion? FFXII happens to actually be my favourite Final Fantasy in the entire series, above FFIX and FFVI respectively, thank you very much.

I don’t like the stylistic choices of FFXIII at all. In fact, there are many, many things I don’t like about FFXIII. But I’m not going to be a blind fanboy because the director of the game mentioned that they removed content that never got finished… SOMETHING WHICH HAS HAPPENED IN ALMOST EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER MADE!

49. Phoenixblight

I never said the best games are the ones that sell the most. I infact loved Square’s games that were not FF, being CT, Parasite Eve, CC, Vagrant story and Xenogears. I still occassionaly play them. Just saying they seem to be playing it safe because they are hurting in the West as far as their games go and they want to use what sells.

50. Alakratt

The part about FFXII wasn’t for you Michael, it was for Phoenixblight.

51. itsucks

Too bad this isn’t exclusive to poostationwagonthreetimecrap, atleast all corridor button-mash games would be on the same fail console, with Gheys @ War threesome and all.