Inferno to be republished with book cover bearing game image

Tuesday, 12th January 2010 16:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

dantesinferno

Random House and EA announced today that Dante Alighieri’s epic poem, Inferno, will be republished bearing the game’s hero as the book cover.

According to Kotaku, the Inferno bit of  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s translation of The Divine Comedy includes an introduction from the game’s executive producer Jonathan Knight, along with a “a 16-page, full-color art insert showcasing the evolution of characters and environments from the classic poem to the video game”.

The book’s slated to land on shelves January 19 with the game hitting 360, PS3 and PSP on February 5.

Visceral released a new dev diary earlier, showing off the Fraud circle of Hell which you can check out here, in case you missed it.

1. Eregol

What’s the betting intellectuals and fans of the original publication will shun it totally, while gamers will snap it up in droves.

2. Syrok

“while gamers will snap it up in droves.”

I hope they do.

3. Gheritt White

ARGH! And I promised myself I wouldn’t pre-order any more games!

4. Eregol

What they should do is a special edition of the game to come with the book, but for the whole thing to be in a faux leather bound gilt edged bookWhere the poem itself comes first, then the game disc is attached to the inside of the book’s cover on the back.

I wont be pre-ordering this, the demo did nothing for me at all.

5. Blerk

Heh heh – this should generate some internet froth. I can hear the sound of people saddling up high horses as we speak. :-D

6. Syrok

I also hope people realize that they can just get for free on the internet. :)

7. AHA-Lambda

*gets on high horse*

Really though I can only see this as quite pathetic. Especially when the game hasn’t got that much to do with it in the first place >_>

8. The_Deleted

That’s never stopped the movie industry. It’s a great idea if it gets someone to actually read it. As long as it still has Gustave Dore’s illustrations and paintings then I’m all for it.

9. joshua nash

this just has the words “EPIC FAIL” written all over it, this just proves the over all IQ of civilization is very quickly dropping to the point of being dumber than paris hilton

10. Eregol

It was always going to be the case that gamers, intrigued by the game, would look up the original literature it is ‘based’ on.
    But to republish it, using elements from the game, is kind of missing the point.

I wonder if they’ll expand this with Purgatorio and Paradiso as well?

11. Freek

Like a Penny Arcade comic come to life!