OXM gives Mass Effect 2 9.5/10

Sunday, 10th January 2010 19:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

masseffect28

OXM’s published the first Mass Effect 2 review, giving the BioWare RPG a not unexpected super-score.

AllGamesBeta’s got some shitty scans of the piece, but you can see the verdict – 9.5/10.

The US mag praised the hugely anticipated sequel for an “enveloping universe filled with interesting characters and revealing side stories,” and its “outstanding, flexible combat in gorgeous environments.”

Unfortunately, though, the bit most of the IPs fans care about – the story was a “bit disappointing”. Whoops.

Still, you can’t argue with numbers. And that’s a big one.

The game’s out on January 29 for PC and 360.

1. onlineatron

Not a 9.5… TEH BIAS!!! TEH GAME SUXORS!!!

(can’t wait till 29th)

2. The Hindle

Metacritic rating of 94 id say overall, thats my prediction

3. DarkElfa

Coming from OXM, that score means nothing +chips.

4. onlineatron

@Darkelfa

The fact they didn’t give it a perfect 10 speaks volumes to me.
    I don’t think they stand to gain much from overrating games.

5. Psychotext

For what it’s worth, OXM US gave the first game 10/10. OXM UK gave it 9/10.

6. Uncontested

the story is disappointing? ugh.. hearing that ruined my day.. lol :(

7. Psychotext

All I really care about is that the combat is at least as good as the first… and that some of the battle sequences are as epic.

Oh, and that they have some good dialogues with snappy responses. :)

8. AHA-Lambda

hearing a slight against the story aint too good. I mean this is bioware for god’s sake :(

Still can’t wait tho :)

9. loki

Still don’t will going to by new, only preowned for Xbox 360 of course. Because stupid PC port

10. reask

Just started mass effect 1 this evening in anticipation of this one.
    2 hours in so far and really enjoying it so glad this one is shaping up.

11. The Hindle

Where abouts are you Reask?

12. reask

@ Hindle

l just took control of the normandy and landed on my first planet.
    Got 50 cheevies for that. :)

Really enjoying it so far.

13. ecu

But the combat in the first game was average and none of the battles were epic.

I’m a bit concerned about reports of the story not being good as it was one of the only really good things about the first game.

14. Psychotext

I can’t speak for your experience of it, I loved it. I had some really epic battles, especially the run up to the final boss. I guess a lot of that depends on the sort of spec your character had too.

15. Phoenixblight

Why are people complaining about a magazine that says the story was disappointing.

1) It got a 9.5 how lacking can the story really be

2) Reviewers for publishers like these never play in the right setting usually they rush through it to get the feel of it to review it.

16. SunKing

I really enjoyed the combat, and this is despite me experiencing a sub-30s framerate on the PC. I’ll probably pick it up on the 360, though, because of the achievements.