Survey says: Only 15% of respondents have purchased DLC

Saturday, 9th January 2010 15:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbl dlc

A survey conducted by media consulting firm Frank N. Magid Associates has found that out of 800 gamers surveyed, only 15 percent purchased DLC.

A little under half also admitted that they were unaware of DLC being available.

With only 15 percent of the respondents stating that they were aware of or have purchased DLC, 41 percent claimed they were aware of DLC, but have yet to purchase additional content and 43 percent were not aware of it at all.

Speaking with IGN, Mike Vorhaus, president of Magid Advisors, said that those who were unaware of DLC were typically playing consoles that do not promote additional content, like PS2 and Wii.

Stores like GameStop will help make situations like this a thing of past, as back in November the company announced that it plans to start selling DLC vouchers in-store.

The vouchers will work conjunction with Xbox Live and PSN, and the program is slated to go into testing sometime during the first part of this year.

1. robmlufc

What do they consider a gamer? My dad plays on his DS, so he’s a gamer, but isnt likely to get any DLC.

2. Grimrita

I purchased some DLC for Empire:Total War and although it was cheap, it was rather lacking.

3. freedoms_stain

I could imagine peeps who don’t have their consoles connected to the internet and don’t pay much attention to gaming news would easily miss dlc.

4. frostquake

First I buy Download Content all the time..Now…Wanna know the Massive purple nurple tongue inducing secret, it is those Crappy little Hard Drives. 20 Gigs on 360…Yeah only it isn’t 20 gigs its more like 12. My brother bought his family their first Xbox this Christmas..No Hard Drive, mmm the arcade unit…So I bought my 120 Gig Hard Drive..by the way the price on the 120 gig is Highway robbery, and gave him my 20 cough cough..12 gig hard drive.
    The Wii…Uses those cute little SD Cards…that are ever so easy to loose…
    The PS3…Great that you can replace the Hard Drive yourself..but most are afraid to open the case, and then when they do, you have to have gurly hands to remove those brackets that break ever so easy….
    Ya Want ppl to buy Tons of DLC…Give them HUGE Hard Drive with their purchase…That way when they Download Cloverfeild, it won’t say…NOT ENOUGH SPACE!!!
    OH and don’t get me started on Points and Sony Dollars and Wii Bucks…Who the H E Double Hockey sticks wants to go to Walgreens and buy a Gift card that you Pay taxes on…and most ppl don’t like giving their credit card to these consoles..because, oh yeah their security sucks.
    PANT PANT….Now where is that pie?

5. Blerk

The only DLC I have is stuff I’ve been gifted or collected ‘packs’ that I’ve bought later on disc (e.g. Episodes from Liberty City).

The trouble with DLC is that you’ve no idea what you’re getting for the money and it tends to be too highly priced to be ‘impulse’. Plus the fact that most of it is complete shit.

6. OlderGamer

What Blerk said.

Too much money for too much risk.

All PSN and Wii games need Demos, period. That would help.

VC games need to be half of their current price.

Game devs/pubs need to stop holding back content that should have been included on the disc to begin with. Instead of 12 maps, we get 4 and we know that 3 “New” map packs will be coming out later … for 10usd each. Such tactits place many games at near 90usd if you want the full experience. Laster years NCCA Football was 110usd for the game and the DLC. And the DLC I was talking about was included on the pervious years edition.

EA gimped the players development stats at 75%, took away recruiting tools, and then charged you extra money for each of thise things. Near criminal in my book.

Then we have 5usd horse armor. That one still gives me a laugh, thank you Bethsedia.

Limited storage space is a prob too. Over priced HDDs and in some cases no HDDs at all. Going forward those things need to be fixed.

Also I feel a problem is the limited account accesabilty. DRMs. I own 2 xb360s, and have had 3 gold accounts. I was going to buy a thrid xb360 for the third Gold account, now I am not. I have dropped two Gold accounts and will be letting my thrid expire in Feb.

Why? 50usd/year?

No, not really. The trouble is if I buy something on one system I can not use it on another system. If we drop cash on a dlc map pack it is only useable on the system we got it on and with the account it is linked to. Thats bad in my book. Its fine if your the lone gamer, but we are a family. I have two teens. And we have three bedrooms, a den/game room, and the living room. We would like to be able to set our systems up and then use the content across them all. After all I bouught the dlc. But because of assinine DRM we can’t do that. So we are stopping. Things should work like steam. Anywhere any time. And it should have the ability to put multi sub profiles under one account. This way content is less resrticted. But if they did that they feel they would lose sales. Thats ok they lost mine anyways.

In the end just too many problems with the current model of DLC.

Too expensive, not enough storage, and too many limitations.

7. Psychotext

On that subject… the lack of a family account has always been a major mistake on Microsoft’s part. Money grubbing idiots.

8. KiiD

@6 Your problem is that XBOX change to PS3 all those problems are gone not the DLC pricing but limitations are gone—————Everybody talking about needing space and idk what to say but just get a PS3 lol I got 320gb on mine got 23 Movies and 106 Games & Demos download and look Im typing this on my PS3 Web Browser right now listening to music IM A PS3 FANBOY and I SAY IT PROUDLY But im really just trying to help you guys out whats so bad about blurays, free online play, PSP Remote Play, Way more Exclusive titles, Web Browsers, Hey and look at this I can link my PS3 account on 5 PS3s and 10 PSPs and download everything I bought If you were smart you’ll use common sense and switch I say keep your xbox for exclusives and nothing more and somehow it’ll still RROD on you lol

9. Blerk